FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where are you going next?
View Single Post
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:50 pm
callmedtop

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mad07
My experience in a nutshell (okay more than a nutshell):

- Property was gorgeous; nestled in the hills of Santa Barbara with a view of the ocean and a recipient of that fresh ocean breeze, despite being far-ish from water. I really got that old school SB vibe, which was really comfortable and elegant.

- Service was a bit frenetic and troubled at times. They seemed to have some issues between valet/waiting to check in/etc. My biggest problem was actually with the pool attendants, especially since the pool itself is not that big. To order anything or get anything, I basically had to keep going up and flagging the guys. Maybe I'm just used to more attentive pool attendants, having gone to FS Maui and Aman this year..

- Room was really comfortable, spacious, and well-appointed. I was lucky enough to have a 2nd floor view so saw some of the vista beyond the property. Great bathroom with a nice soaking tub (although I had to request bubble bath stuff - you'd think it'd just be in the room). I loved the bathrobes.

- Food was pretty good (I did dinner and breakfast) with a standout being the main course of halibut and strawberry shortcake dessert. they have live music in their bar area too on Saturday nights, which is basically a Sinatra/Buble cover-guy. Felt very appropriate for the atmosphere.

- I also partook in a facial at the Spa, which was really quite nice. Is it better than the facials I normally get at my place in LA? Comparable. But, they did have products that I haven't used before.

Overall, I thought it was a really nice stay. I would definitely stay longer but maybe not at the same price point. I guess it's 'high' season in SB right now (between Polo and Fall) so the rooms were about 2x the price from a month from now. I also booked through Amex FHR so got a $60 breakfast credit, and $100 spa credit. No upgrade but the guaranteed 4pm checkout was great and really allowed me to enjoy the property to the fullest. I also will say that I didnt' leave the property so can't speak to the complimentary shuttle or electric bikes that people have mentioned.

I haven't been to FS SB or San Ysidro Ranch but would really like to check out the latter.
Thanks for the insight - it sounds like a great stay and is exactly what we are looking for (gorgeous property "nestled in the hills" of SB). Glad you had a great time!