Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few posts on safari planning seemed to be of general enough interest that I have moved them to their own thread:

How to go about planning my first African luxury safari?

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:02 pm

So, there is a small outbreak of the bubonic plague in Seychelles.

I was going there in January. Should I make a contigency plan if things get much worst? Perhaps Oman, or something.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:07 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by surftb15
So, there is a small outbreak of the bubonic plague in Seychelles.

I was going there in January. Should I make a contigency plan if things get much worst? Perhaps Oman, or something.
Just bring a Rx of doxycycline or other approved antibiotic. There are rare occurrences in the Western USA...and there was a minor outbreak when we traveled to Madagascar in Dec 2014. We brought doxycycline as a precaution but never needed it.

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/faq/index.html
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Just bring a Rx of doxycycline or other approved antibiotic. There are rare occurrences in the Western USA...and there was a minor outbreak when we traveled to Madagascar in Dec 2014. We brought doxycycline as a precaution but never needed it.

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/faq/index.html
Awesome. Do you just go to the Dr to get some? I will have to do that.

Thanks for the advice.

^
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:35 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by surftb15
Awesome. Do you just go to the Dr to get some? I will have to do that.

Thanks for the advice.

^
Exactly. Happy to help! We just asked our doctor to prescribe doxy while we also were getting immunized for every other disease known to humanity.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:41 pm
Original Member

A week in Oct/Nov at Las Ventanas Al Paraiso in a signature villa, bday celebration
https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/la...-wellness-room

Five nights in January at San Ydidro Ranch in Santa Barbara, anniversary
http://www.sanysidroranch.com/
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:24 pm

As requested a little while back on this thread, I want to briefly report back on my trip to Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.

I think maybe the quick thing to say is this - don't bother. I have also come back with an appalling stomach bug and my wife isn't exactly 100 percent either. The food was almost always disgusting. When you say, 'I could eat a horse' . . . believe me, you will. We left home fit and healthy and we have come back wrecked. I have lost half a stone and I'm not someone with flesh to spare.

The distances are vast. We found the long bus trips fascinating if exhausting. The landscape was often dramatic if not quite wow factor. I loved the flat vastness of the steppe. Reminded me a bit of home in Norfolk, UK. Probably like Kansas, too.

Most of the time it seemed the collapse of the Soviet Union hadn't happened at all. Once a commie country, always a commie country. It's still there in the mindset of the people and the way the countries are governed. The old Soviet-style apartment blocks are everywhere.

I did enjoy the cities. Anyone with a taste in trophy modern architecture should head for Astana. It's trying hard to be Dubai. Almaty is the former Kazakh capital and has lots of atmosphere. We loved the Kyrgyz capital of Bishkek. Lots to see there, including a huge statue of V I Lenin looking at the parliament building. Whenever I find a statue of Lenin I say, 'You couldn't have been more wrong.'

As for the hotels, well . . . only two worth noting. The Ambassador in Bishkek was very pleasant, a classic European, boutique-style place with excellent contemporary rooms. In Almaty we stayed at the Intercontinental which is a genuine five-star and was a blessed relief from the terrible places we stayed out in the countryside.

Oh, as a special aside for bhrubin, at our hotel in Astana, even with a window open and outside temperatures of 10c, we could never get our room temp down below 26c. They do that as winter approaches.

I'm pleased to have gone to these places. Like Macmyday and his super-luxury disappointments, I feel good about doing all this research for you.

I think Uzbekistan is probably the 'stan to go for in terms of major sightseeing but even there it's pretty undeveloped.

Last edited by Pausanias; Oct 15, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:30 pm

Exactly. Happy to help! We just asked our doctor to prescribe doxy while we also were getting immunized for every other disease known to humanity.
Speaking of which...
I am using my 3 night voucher for the SSZP. Those flights are booked and non refundable, so I need to start there.

However, I am going there during holiday season.

All the other comparable hotels

Raffles - Awful
banyan tree/4S - $$$$
Extended stay 6S - $1800 euro/night
Hilton Labriz - I mean, I could, but do I want to?

Fregate/North out of budget.

So now Im ???? I need to start at Seychelles. Mauritius doesn't look great, but Im thinking of just flying to Maldives and staying at the new Park Hyatt Villas. The rates are incredibly good right now, even during holiday season. The flights arent bad either - $500 in biz via CMB.

Any other suggestions for areas ? Need private pool + privacy. The other resorts in MLE are mainly booked, so I need to decide soon.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I want to briefly report back on my trip to Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.

I think maybe the quick thing to say is this - don't bother.

The distances are vast. We found the long bus trips fascinating if exhausting. The landscape was often dramatic if not quite wow factor. I loved the flat vastness of the steppe. Reminded me a bit of home in Norfolk, UK. Probably like Kansas, too.

I did enjoy the cities. Anyone with a taste in trophy modern architecture should head for Astana. It's trying hard to be Dubai. Almaty is the former Kazakh capital and has lots of atmosphere. We loved the Kyrgyz capital of Bishkek. Lots to see there, including a huge statue of V I Lenin looking at the parliament building. Whenever I find a statue of Lenin I say, 'You couldn't have been more wrong.'

As for the hotels, well . . . only two worth noting. The Ambassador in Bishkek was very pleasant, a classic European, boutique-style place with excellent contemporary rooms. In Almaty we stayed at the Intercontinental which is a genuine five-star and was a blessed relief from the terrible places we stayed out in the countryside.

Oh, as a special aside for bhrubin, at our hotel in Astana, even with a window open and outside temperatures of 10c, we could never get our room temp down below 26c. They do that as winter approaches.

I'm pleased to have gone to these places. Like Macmyday and his super-luxury disappointments, I feel good about doing all this research for you.

I think Uzbekistan is probably the 'stan to go for in terms of major sightseeing but even there it's pretty undeveloped.

Thanks for sharing! Though you did make me shudder, indeed, at the 26 C room temps. I'm hoping the brand new StR Astana, which opened just a week or so ago, I do believe, will handle that for me better if ever I make it there.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:10 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Looks like it's going to be Amanjiwo
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Looks like it's going to be Amanjiwo
#massiveenvy
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:13 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

November 17-20 if anyone will be around.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
FS Lanai...even better on a conference rate, although I do have to work in the mornings for a few hours. I like when CME conferences are at nice places...
callmedtop likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:15 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by xray
FS Lanai...even better on a conference rate, although I do have to work in the mornings for a few hours. I like when CME conferences are at nice places...
Just got back from it last week. You're going to love it! It's great...if you have time, hop on over to FS Hualalai...Love hanging with the sea turtles everyday and their King's Pond has 4,000 fish and a sting ray for you to snorkel with and feed.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
StR Dubai as of tomorrow.
uggboy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.