Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by KrazeeJoe
We chose easy and got easy (relatively speaking) trekking. Porters are highly recommended - not only do they carry your backpacks, they pull you up when it is too steep for you to climb.
thank you for the detailed reply! May I know if you requested for the easy hike beforehand or when you arrive at the entrance? Also, our travel agent told me Bisate does not provide car transfer to the trekking location. Therefore, we would need to hire a car for the entire trip in Rwanda? So does everyone go to the trekking location in their own vehicle? I would think Bisate will provide some kind of a shuttle service since everyone's going to the same location in the morning.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:24 pm

i did read your review when it was first posted!! in fact, your review is the reason we are going this year!!

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We didn't stay at Bisate, but did stay in Dec 2014 at Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge. Review (and details about our 2 gorilla treks): http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...ge-rwanda-1683

Sabyinyo also had quite the steep hillside walk to reach the main lodge, let alone to reach the various cottages and suites.

If the stairs at Bisate to higher elevation villas are of any concern to you, trust me when I say that you definitely do not want to do a "difficult" gorilla trek! (All people staying at any and all lodges and camps meet at the same start point for all gorilla trekking.) The estimates are just that: estimates. Gorilla families can move quite a bit from the moment you are assigned one, so there are no guarantees!

Difficult means about up to 3 hrs each way trekking to reach your assigned family. We did moderate...and ended up trekking 3.5 hrs to reach our Susa A family. (It was another 2.5 hrs back down, making for an extremely tough day!) I don't recommend that to anyone. It was traumatizing...but still worth it once we got there. It was so tough that we almost considered not going the next day, despite already having bought the permits! (We did go the next day, but fortunately were assigned an easy trek for that.)

Moderate means about up to 2 hrs each way trekking to reach your assigned family.

Easy means about up to 1 hr each way trekking to reach your assigned family. That is still likely to be tougher than the climb to your cottage or villa at the lodge!

The higher you go up the mountain/volcano, the more beautiful it becomes. But also steeper and denser. Tougher trekking.

We also had organized and paid for permits (much cheaper) to do the golden monkey trekking for our 3rd day...but we cancelled that after our 2nd day of trekking. Instead, we spent the 3rd day relaxing at the Lodge and enjoying the beauty of the setting. Trust me: the treks can take a lot out of you. Of course, @KI-NRT also were at the Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge at the same time, and they had much easier treks to reach the same families that we did. Lucky ********! So you never know.

We did spend time at the Genocide Museum in Kigali. Highly recommended. See review above.

On the other hand, had we not had the ridiculous 3.5 trek, we wouldn't have enjoyed this incredible scene on Christmas Day 2014 (that's me in the blue, moments after I stumbled directly onto the 650+ lb Silverback!):

bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by poohbear0218
thank you for the detailed reply! May I know if you requested for the easy hike beforehand or when you arrive at the entrance? Also, our travel agent told me Bisate does not provide car transfer to the trekking location. Therefore, we would need to hire a car for the entire trip in Rwanda? So does everyone go to the trekking location in their own vehicle? I would think Bisate will provide some kind of a shuttle service since everyone's going to the same location in the morning.
Everyone seems to hire a car for the entire trip in Rwanda. The driver (also act as your guide) will pick you up from the airport to the lodge. He will take you to the gorilla trekking entrance (more like a meeting place) where paper work is done and treks assigned (your driver will do all the paper work and try to assign you to the level of trekking you want). Afterwards you will be driven in your own vehicle to the starting point for trekking (takes anywhere from 15 minutes to over 1 hour by driving).

Bisate does not provide any shuttle service. I think it would be quite a hassle if you try to rely on public transport for the trip.

Last edited by KrazeeJoe; Sep 2, 2017 at 9:36 pm
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by KrazeeJoe
Everyone seems to have hire a car for the entire trip in Rwanda. The driver (also act as your guide) will pick you up from the airport to the lodge. He will take you to the gorilla trekking entrance (more like a meeting place) where paper work is done and treks assigned (your driver will do all the paper work and try to assign you to the level of trekking you want). Afterwards you will be driven in your own vehicle to the starting point for trekking (takes anywhere from 15 minutes to over 1 hour by driving).

Bisate does not provide any shuttle service. I think it would be quite a hassle if you try to rely on public transport for the trip.
Thank you for the clarification! I thought gorilla trekking would be similar to a east africa safari..guess not!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:41 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Just landed in Edinburgh, headed to the Waldorf for the night.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Just back from Villa Honegg, Alpina Gstaad and The Connaught

Next week we fly off again:
  • The Lanesborough
  • Ellerman House
  • Singita Lebombo
  • Singita Sweni
  • Saxon Hotel
  • Miavana
  • Four Seasons Joburg
please report back on sweni post-renovations. We had a lovely stay there in 2015 and the new colors look lovely.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:30 pm

Next week - ????

My wife just took a new job and we have so many miles to burn. Want a beach thats very private - next year Fiji + Seychelles, so nothing like that. Must have private pool and be completely secluded.

Suggestions?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:18 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by surftb15
Next week - ????

My wife just took a new job and we have so many miles to burn. Want a beach thats very private - next year Fiji + Seychelles, so nothing like that. Must have private pool and be completely secluded.

Suggestions?
Amanpulo in an one bedroom villa...Villa #32 would be ideal. Great views, pool, private at the end of the a secluded island. huge outdoor living space to hang in.

Amanoi is great too and also provides a secluded feeling.
FlyerEC and Aventine like this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Next week - ????

Suggestions?
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Amanpulo in an one bedroom villa...Villa #32 would be ideal. Great views, pool, private at the end of the a secluded island. huge outdoor living space to hang in.

+1

Except still typhoon season

Also Puri pool suites or villas
Weather maybe iffy early / predawn but no typhoons
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:30 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
+1

Except still typhoon season

Also Puri pool suites or villas
Weather maybe iffy early / predawn but no typhoons
I assumed their risk tolerance was high
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BESVISOR

As private as they come!
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:04 pm

Amanpulo looks great but no avail in those pool villas are date. Perhaps amans in Indonesia, but I'll take a look at ananpuri as well.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Amanpulo looks great but no avail in those pool villas are date. Perhaps amans in Indonesia, but I'll take a look at ananpuri as well.
How disappointing ..

Puri has a nice beach too but pales in comparison to Pulo ' s .

If Amankila , then go for Kilasari suite . Very nice pool compared to other Kila pool suites ( or even Nusa ' s )
Remember , it ' s black sand here .

The others are not beach locations , Wana is but beach is corally & no pool tents
Secluded alright

http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...-amankila-2091
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'd take Kila over Puri anyday of the week.
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:06 pm

Down to Aman Bali (waiting for upgrade availability ) or Oberoi Lombok - but actually learning towards Lombok because I want to dive Gili Islands - which is closer.

Either way, leaving in 2 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.