Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:19 pm
Original Member

I’m at San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito. Head home Wednesday. Next stay will be longer!

In Creek Cottage, middle price range in their offerings
https://www.sanysidroranch.com/cottages/creek
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Will be interesting to see how this year plays out. I was starting to plan a trip to Italy/France for this summer. However, based on some quick online searching, I think that without a recent booster it is not worth going and for personal reasons, that may not be doable for us.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Will be interesting to see how this year plays out. I was starting to plan a trip to Italy/France for this summer. However, based on some quick online searching, I think that without a recent booster it is not worth going and for personal reasons, that may not be doable for us.
DEFINITELY get the booster! No matter where you are. I was supposed to fly to the US recently and of course I had to get a COVID test. And after two years filled with lots of travel on planes, trains and metro/subway/buses, meeting people all around the US and Europe, I finally tested positive. But even though I'm getting old and have a bit of extra weight around the middle due to the fine dining that I love, I am completely asymptomatic. I give full credit the booster I got about 7 weeks ago while in New York.

So I am "stuck" in France until I can test negative again and get on an airplane. The fine dining will continue for a while. I'm planning Coq au vin tonight, paired with a Burgundy Grand Cru.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:08 pm

For my wife's birthday I'm sweeping her of to Hotel Bristol in Warsaw. There's surprisingly little information on this board about the property considering its deep history. From what I understand the Raffles is regarded as slightly better but I was there last year and while very pleasant didn't wow me.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Big Island next week for a month. Can. Not. Wait.
FlyerEC and United747 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:28 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Last minute booking to head to COMO Parrot Cay next week for the Le Sirenuse Pop-Up and mostly, enjoy my favorite two bedroom beach house to escape the cold.
Anyone going to be there by chance? If so, let's grab a drink!
Old Jan 22, 2022, 9:56 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Still in HK for last just over 2 years now, but will be doing the Maldives in April/May if all goes to plan. Will likely be a long trip too as it's been a while and so many places to check out.

Any special requests for reviews? Will try to see if I can fit in.
HKTraveler likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:13 am

Wow, are you coming back to HK afterwards? 21 days quarantine to come back doesn’t sound appealing
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Forestis (maybe combining it with new Manna Resort), South Tyrol
Lupaia, Tuscany
chinmoylad likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Feb/Mar:
Mar a Lago
RC Orlando
RC Ft. Lauderdale
St. Regis Aspen
RC Denver
The Broadmoor
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
So I am "stuck" in France until I can test negative again and get on an airplane. The fine dining will continue for a while. I'm planning Coq au vin tonight, paired with a Burgundy Grand Cru.
Update. I tested negative 5 days later and am now in New York. Planning a stay at the Willard in D.C. soon. My favorite hotel in that town.
United747 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:55 pm
Original Member

Pandemic vicissitudes permitting, I am off to Panama for three weeks in February. Itinerary looks like this (could change, covid rates not great, plus cruise). I was born in Panama (mother did not want U.S. Army obstetricians …) and raised with my older brother in Balboa, Canal Zone at the Pacific mouth of the Canal, and adjacent to the vibrant metropolis of la ciudad, Panama. My tenure there: 1949-1967

— Fly SFO-PTY 11 Feb

— One day to recover from jet lag, American Trade Hotel in the Casco Viejo neighborhood of Ciudad de Panama

— 13 Feb Board Nat’l Geographic/Linblad 8-day cruise transiting canal and sailing up the west coasts of Panama and Costa Rica

— 20 Feb fly SJO- PTY, 5 days in la ciudad and the reverted territories. Balboa and Ancon, Gamboa waterhole, Las Cruces Trail, Chiva Chiva road, birding, ex-Summit Gardens, Taboga, the causeway, San Blas excursion, other old haunts

— 26 Feb fly Albrook (PAC) to David, Chiriqui, rent car, trundle around the Highlands: Boquete, El Volcan, El Hato, coffee estate, birding, more old haunts; staying Boquete Garden Inn

— Fly back to PAC for three more days in la ciudad. Do what we didn’t get to do earlier. Squeeze in overnight trip to Santa Clara and El Valle de Anton

— Fly PTY-SFO 4 March, or so

American Trade Hotel
https://www.americantradehotel.com/
Balboa Inn — day rate for birding on their patio (also three blocks from my home 1949-1967)
https://www.balboainnpanama.com/
Boquete Garden Inn
https://www.boquetegardeninn.com/
asar, United747, jbeans and 1 others like this.

Last edited by KatW; Jan 27, 2022 at 2:42 am
Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by KatW
Pandemic vicissitudes permitting, I am off to Panama for three weeks in February. One day to recover from jet lag, American Trade Hotel in the Casco Viejo neighborhood of Ciudad de Panama

We loved the American Trade Hotel and hope it's as good as it was five years ago. So much more congenial than the chain high-rises which dominate the city. It's also right in the middle of the UNESCO listed old quarter. I can still taste the best octopus dish I've ever eaten at the hotel. I hardly ever take photos of food but this was so good I wanted a record of it. Looks like a great trip you are about to embark on.

KatW likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:15 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Pausanias

We loved the American Trade Hotel and hope it's as good as it was five years ago. So much more congenial than the chain high-rises which dominate the city. It's also right in the middle of the UNESCO listed old quarter. I can still taste the best octopus dish I've ever eaten at the hotel. I hardly ever take photos of food but this was so good I wanted a record of it. Looks like a great trip you are about to embark on.
I don’t even like octopus (although love squid), and that looks mighty tasty.

Yes, Casco Viejo, the old colonial town of Panama. The current city is off by a few miles of the first Panama city founded in 1517 by Spanish “conquistador” Pedro Arias Dávila and burned in 1671 by Henry Morgan, infamous English pirate (however sanctioned by official British sources). Is it mere coincidence that my home in Panama (Balboa) is on Morgan Avenue?

Last edited by KatW; Jan 27, 2022 at 4:00 am
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KatW
Yes, Casco Viejo, the old colonial town of Panama. The current city is off by a few miles of the first Panama city founded in 1517 by Spanish “conquistador” Pedro Arias Dávila and burned in 1671 by Henry Morgan, infamous English pirate (however sanctioned by official British sources). Is it mere coincidence that my home in Panama (Balboa) is on Morgan Avenue?
Wow I didn't expect to get an interesting history of Panama in an upcoming travel post! Now you've got me wanting to go.
KatW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.