Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

HON "enhancements" getting closer [HON bonus reduced from 50% to 25%] [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HON "enhancements" getting closer [HON bonus reduced from 50% to 25%] [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
One of the big questions for me is: What does LH actually want to achieve with this?
Given that the goal is to maximize profits and also given that they realize that HON status and FCT access always need to remain an exclusive product I still don't get what they want to achieve.

HON already is a difficult level to achieve. It is very difficult to achieve when for people like Kiwi and myself. Even so we have close 600k BIS miles in two years across many airlines.
LH would get so much more business from me if HON could be achieved at 400k in two years.
Actually in my case well over 600k flown miles in 2 years, and much more than 600k status miles (or equivalent) in 2 years. But the limited options for HONorable airlines means a large chunk of that travel goes elsewhere.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:38 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
But I still have a hard time to understand why you guys from down under still value SEN (or any LH status) to begin with... I mean, I don't think it makes sense...
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:28 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by andre1970
But I still have a hard time to understand why you guys from down under still value SEN (or any LH status) to begin with... I mean, I don't think it makes sense...
Have you been to beautiful Oz? 'Making sense' is not the core essence of life .
But of course you are right and that brings me to:
Originally Posted by SMK77
..To increase the number of posts - same applies to SEN. Generate 12.000 EUR revenue or get lost... :-)
Not in my most delirious nightmare would it occur to me to spend more than 1K Euro over my basic travel needs on SENhood for another two years. Let me count the number of lounge entries this thingie grants me the 1K card would not ... maybe 1 or 2 a year?
That makes it worth roughly $100 pro anno (please use any dollar currency you want) as all other SEN benefits are trinkets and not worth hard cash.
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
One of the big questions for me is: What does LH actually want to achieve with this?..
I have no clue. But I came to the conclusion that the current regime at LH cannot be trusted. Until there will be a purge, revolution, takeover, or the wereWolf gets voted out, I will stay as clear as possible from the program and its minions.
Sad, really sad as it definitely was my favourite European airline .
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:41 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by flysurfer
..I kindly laughed back, stopped all my ticket payments and began to fly exclusively on awards.
If there is such a thing as heroism in the airline industry - beyond isolated feats of pilots and helpers - you are a true knight in the eternal fight against the dark forces ^.
And I like your innocent Red Riding Hood camouflage to capture the bad, bad Wolf!
A lot of posts here are hung up on milage - please keep in mind that the 5.000 miles for European C is an artifical and random value. LH should award only miles flown (as e.g. NH does). That would help to get rid of some cheapo HONs....
You keep forgetting - SQ style - that LH is still part of the Star Alliance.
Not awarding HONcho cards to one's *A brethren is one thing but not granting the basic and low-value *G membership is quite a step further.
SENdom is overpriced even and particularly for cheapo Y flyers. They can get better value for less on almost all other *A carriers. For the frequent illoyal premium cabin rider who can afford to sit 40K miles or 31K miles respectively on LH every second year, it might still be acceptable.

That alone should thwart your 12K p.a. plan for the SENile level. LH's imbecile IT ain't even required.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 2:11 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
As I told Luigi - no one who is regularly flying is paying the published rates.
FRA-SFO in C for any big cooperation is 4.000 EUR minus taxes is 3.850 EUR.
Okay, we have some 100 big corporations in Germany, but 50'000+ small and medium corporations (KMU in Germany). KMUs like my company usually don't get direct discounts, but use PPB. PPB is not a bad programme and provides indirect discounts. However, KMUs pay regular fares usually.

Now, let's talk about the big corporations. I work with a couple of those and therefore know the prices. FRA-SFO is still the price of a D fare, they just have no minimum stay included. There is probably some hidden monetary benefit for the big corporations (TA group of those may get it behind the scenes), but ticket price for the pax and price balance for the affected department is the D fare.

Don't understand, why you reduce taxes from the amount? Cost is cost here for the traveller.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:25 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Originally Posted by tcswede
money is not everything either - but most likely better to have than status miles. But the principle of envy works the same way in a wider sense...

Cheers

Thomas
I totally agree with you on this.

Aside from this, even the 600K HON must be a very profitable customer, thus I would think LH was glad for every single HON member.
Raising the bar from 600K to 750K will steer away quite a few in the 500K-700K range who thought of making or retaining HON.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 7:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
Don't understand, why you reduce taxes from the amount? Cost is cost here for the traveller.
Nope. We are not talking milage runs here - put your company hat on:

Taxes is no money that LH can pocket and if out of a 400 EUR fare 100 EUR are taxes (a mere 25%) - than LH has only 300 EUR for expenses and profit.

On the 4.000 EUR ticket you have the same 100 EUR - LH can pocket 3.900 EUR. Margin is significantly higher.

And then you can look what happens to the margin:

Short-haul, every HON is eating up another 50 EUR, leaves 250 EUR. The long-haul is eating up 50 EUR as well and leaves 3.850 EUR.

For a customer 10 short-hauls equal 1 long-haul (4.000 EUR).
For LH the situation is completely different: 2.500 EUR to 3.850 EUR.

Talking revenue - and that is all LH cares about (Alles fuer diesen Moment) - then you have to deduct taxes and when you take your company hat off again you can pray that minimum milage will not be changed...
Old Sep 7, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Taxes is no money that LH can pocket and if out of a 400 EUR fare 100 EUR are taxes (a mere 25%) - than LH has only 300 EUR for expenses and profit.
This is just BS. Show me any normal itinerary for €300 that has €100 taxes.

SmilingBoy.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Taxes is no money that LH can pocket
ROFL! Hilarious!
Old Sep 7, 2007, 8:41 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
This is just BS. Show me any normal itinerary for €300 that has €100 taxes.

SmilingBoy.
Certainly not BS. Price out H/K/M/V etc fares on most cross-border European routes and you'll see € 300 fares with € 100 in taxes.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Certainly not BS. Price out H/K/M/V etc fares on most cross-border European routes and you'll see € 300 fares with € 100 in taxes.
You mean with €100 in "taxes". I am not talking about "taxes" but taxes.

SmilingBoy.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:13 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by AJLondon
I have to disagree. First of all 100 EUR seems way too much and in addition to this it's always tax, fees and charges! And IIRC it's 12 EUR fuel surcharge for a short haul segment and this money goes direct to LH!

Anyway this is more or less OT in this thread. As pointed out by others before I am pretty sure that not a single HON is a losing deal for LH. Actually it's most likely the other way round and LH should be happy about every single HON IMHO.

BTW it's always funny that we try to discuss such issues from LH's perspective. Not that this is not interesting (makes fun to do so for sure ) but as we are not LH but their customers, we should probably discuss what such a move means to us.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:15 am

Taxes is no money that LH can pocket
Now this is totally against the other thread, where LH gets blamed for making to much revenue out of the taxes.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by totti
BTW it's always funny that we try to discuss such issues from LH's perspective. Not that this is not interesting (makes fun to do so for sure ) but as we are not LH but their customers, we should probably discuss what such a move means to us.
Agreed. ^

I guess, I will write a letter to the HONoured persons Mr. Mayrhuber and Mr. Antinori and will express my and will ask them for the reasons and why they off some of their most loyal pax with this and whether they don't want my and my emps business anymore.

Looking forward to receive the letter of reply.

Well, just to step back a moment, this is a rumour only so far. And I will be a HON til Feb 2010 for the time being.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:23 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
The current cityhopper pays 400 EUR for FRA-LHR in C and makes HON after 120 flights (revenue after tax is 300 EUR x 100 = 36.000 EUR) - HON treatment means 120 limo services at FRA which narrows down the 36K to 30.000 EUR.
Good for you that you are able to book FRA-LHR for 400 EUR in C. I can't and I know a lot of people flying much more than me (more than once a week) on this route who can't as well. It's more like the double price you quoted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.