Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

HON "enhancements" getting closer [HON bonus reduced from 50% to 25%] [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HON "enhancements" getting closer [HON bonus reduced from 50% to 25%] [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 5:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by SMK77
As I told Luigi - no one who is regularly flying is paying the published rates.
False assumption. Not everyone who flies regularly works for a large enough corporate to have negotiated discounts - and of course corporates generally don't have discounts with every airline.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by totti
Let's see. I'll watch this movie BTW which of the two do you mean is the MonoHONist
Well, since all HONs here claim they will snob LH's new scheme, there's only one option left: TFM!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by andre1970
Well, since all HONs here claim they will snob LH's new scheme, there's only one option left: TFM!
Was there ever any doubt?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by flysurfer
OK, I always spent more than EUR 12.000 annually (on LH metal, that is), and I always renewed SEN (mostly on LH metal), sometimes along with 1K (also on LH metal). I guess this made me "one who is flying regularly", right? Strangely enough, nobody ever offered me any kind of discount, not even in the form of relaxed fare rules.

Hence, about than a year ago, I approached my regional sales office in LAX and asked for a discounted fare (or relaxed fare rules) for my frequent LAX-MUC trips on LH. If granted, I'd have increased my travel and most likely made HON within 2 years.

They kindly laughed at me.

I kindly laughed back, stopped all my ticket payments and began to fly exclusively on awards.
Nothing wrong with this approach. If LH is actually raising the HON threshold to 750.000 miles, I think that many will sign up for BMI's program: Every mile you collect over 55.000 miles doubles and you have the same earning scheme that LH has:

If you are SEN: FRA-SFO return gets you 25.5K miles, do the same with as BD Gold and you get 51K miles... Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade with those points but the cash&miles awards are unbeatable and I am sure that I know someone who is using that excessively... Don't you, flysurfer?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
I am sure that I know someone who is using that excessively... Don't you, flysurfer?
I don't think so. As a BD non-member, I don't frequent the BD forum much.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
False assumption. Not everyone who flies regularly works for a large enough corporate to have negotiated discounts - and of course corporates generally don't have discounts with every airline.
I agree with that statement but I bet that most HONs actually enjoy large scale discounts (and Luigi is one of the few exceptions).

LH discounts do not depend on the size of the company but on the annual ticket sales volume. If your company is spending heavily on LH and you are willing to actually shift your business to another airline, talk to them. They might not offer you upfront discounted tickets but offer you a certain tiered kick-back - the more you spend the more you save, something like that.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Nothing wrong with this approach. If LH is actually raising the HON threshold to 750.000 miles, I think that many will sign up for BMI's program: Every mile you collect over 55.000 miles doubles and you have the same earning scheme that LH has:

If you are SEN: FRA-SFO return gets you 25.5K miles, do the same with as BD Gold and you get 51K miles... Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade with those points but the cash&miles awards are unbeatable and I am sure that I know someone who is using that excessively... Don't you, flysurfer?
Actually I doubt that. As you probably know it's not all about miles. At least for me it's not all about miles about also the hard and soft perks you get e.g. HON award booking guarantee, use of FCT and FCL's, Partner Sen card and and and...

The same applies to SEN status as well and I would rate Sen way about BD DC Gold if it comes to service and perks.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I agree with that statement but I bet that most HONs actually enjoy large scale discounts (and Luigi is one of the few exceptions).

LH discounts do not depend on the size of the company but on the annual ticket sales volume. If your company is spending heavily on LH and you are willing to actually shift your business to another airline, talk to them. They might not offer you upfront discounted tickets but offer you a certain tiered kick-back - the more you spend the more you save, something like that.
As implied by flysurfer, a business with only 1 or a few frequent flyers, no matter how frequent their travel is unlikely to get a discount. Compare this with a business with say 1 (or 10 or ...) million a year to spend on travel.

I accept your point that a business need not be large to spend enormous amounts on travel, but the thresholds for discounts are rather high relative to spend for businesses with no more than a few regular flyers.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:48 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:

Those lines deserve a bit of analysis:

In the first paragraph you make a wild guess (a bet).

In the second one, you take your 1st paragraph guess as a given, and then go ahead and talk about the discounted tickets and kick-backs everyone out there enjoys...

Fine... ^
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:01 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
As implied by flysurfer, a business with only 1 or a few frequent flyers, no matter how frequent their travel is unlikely to get a discount. Compare this with a business with say 1 (or 10 or ...) million a year to spend on travel.

I accept your point that a business need not be large to spend enormous amounts on travel, but the thresholds for discounts are rather high relative to spend for businesses with no more than a few regular flyers.
I work for a business with 100k+ employees and millions of $$ spend on LH. But I book all my travel through a private TA because I usually get better rates than through corporate travel even including our corporate discounts.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I work for a business with 100k+ employees and millions of $$ spend on LH. But I book all my travel through a private TA because I usually get better rates than through corporate travel even including our corporate discounts.
Yeah, I like this game... My company has 300K+ employees and spends $$$ on LH. :-) We are getting substantial discounts for fully flexible tickets in C - however, as mentioned, we are getting money back at the end of the year, so that the actual ticket price is not a good basis for comparison...
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by andre1970
Those lines deserve a bit of analysis:

In the first paragraph you make a wild guess (a bet).

In the second one, you take your 1st paragraph guess as a given, and then go ahead and talk about the discounted tickets and kick-backs everyone out there enjoys...

Fine... ^
Please review and try again - the first paragraph is a speculation about the % of HON flying on discounted tickets (and is explicitly marked as such) and the second paragraph is stating the fact that LH is giving discounts to heavy spenders - and honestly I do not see how that is related to the first paragraph. Whether the first paragraph is correct or not, the discounts are still out there...
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by totti
Actually I doubt that. As you probably know it's not all about miles. At least for me it's not all about miles about also the hard and soft perks you get e.g. HON award booking guarantee, use of FCT and FCL's, Partner Sen card and and and...

The same applies to SEN status as well and I would rate Sen way about BD DC Gold if it comes to service and perks.
No doubt that HON priviliges are most welcome, so let me clarify - of course they would still put the first 100/130K on Miles&More to maintain SEN but if they know that they will not make HON they will start putting the additional milage into any program that has a better payout scheme - and I think that BD's program is offering that...
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:12 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Yeah, I like this game... My company has 300K+ employees and spends $$$ on LH. :-) We are getting substantial discounts for fully flexible tickets in C - however, as mentioned, we are getting money back at the end of the year, so that the actual ticket price is not a good basis for comparison...
True! Seems however that my cost center has to pay the initial high price and HQ gets the rebate at the end of the year.
And most of my international travel is RTW tickets at the moment.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:18 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

One of the big questions for me is: What does LH actually want to achieve with this?
Given that the goal is to maximize profits and also given that they realize that HON status and FCT access always need to remain an exclusive product I still don't get what they want to achieve.

HON already is a difficult level to achieve. It is very difficult to achieve for people like Kiwi and myself. Even so we have close 600k BIS miles in two years across many airlines.
LH would get so much more business from me if HON could be achieved at 400k in two years.

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Sep 7, 2007 at 12:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.