Community
Wiki Posts
Search

long haul cash upgrade at gate? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Moranguinho

Are there offers at the moment, in times of lower loads? Are there still bargains (like the US offers or the offers ex GRU), even if Y is not oversold at all (perhaps to generate some extra revenue)?
Just ask nicely at the check-in if there is no sign displayed. It is still possible to get a bargain upgrade

It really depends on the day and the route, sometimes the loads are quite high (USA-Europe).
Old May 12, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
To my surprise: I inquired many times about upgrades from C class to F class at check in at the airport and then at the gate I found myself to be upgraded free of charge to F class.
Old May 13, 2009, 3:55 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
the fact that you are HON might have helped.....
Old Jun 4, 2009, 1:04 am

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Paid upgrade j to f on lx

Hi

Am flying bkk to dub via Zurich this Sunday on a j class ticket ( think thats the class for the cheapest business fare on lx?) booked through a travel agent; do Swiss offer an upgrade for a fixed fee like some other airlines do? I thought it would be a nice surprise for my better half if we upgraded the bkk to Zurich portion (as there's no f Zurich to dub). I could use miles but the 65000 each seems excessive when we could go dub to cpt for 90k return

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mark
Old Jun 4, 2009, 2:38 am

Hello Mark. By doing a simple search in this forum for paid upgrade I found two good threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...te-merged.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...kinn-bord.html

Yes, you can. I believe the prices at the gate are the same as on board. (Except for the 333$ or 666$ ex-US special offers). On board you can, if they can still get the meal ordered, upgrade from any award or upgrade J-seat. From the gate you might only be able to upgrade from a paid business-class ticket.

Specifically, check my post here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/8263301-post61.html
Old Jun 4, 2009, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by airoli
For BOS-ZRH, the rate to upgrade to Business would be CHF800 if you are booked in Y, B, M, or H, and CHF1100 from other Economy RBDs. For ZRH-DME, it's CHF350 and CHF450, respectively.

Edited to add: These are the rates for upgrades at check-in, not on board (where prices are slightly more expensive).
I tried this DME-ZRH, it didn't work. On board the price was much higher than the normal IATA-Europe price of 400CHF. DME as the only exception in Europe was 600CHF.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:07 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
I'm considering an upgrade zrh-lax from class L. From what I read I guess it's gonna be around chf 700-1000, is that correct ?
Also, can I enquire at the telephone checkin in gva or at checkin desk in gva or directly in transit in zrh? I guess the sooner the better..
Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:50 am

Thanks for that we are flying up from koh samui so we will be in transit for 4/5 hours in bkk before we board; so we can't ask at a Swiss desk as we will be airside. What would you suggest?? ask at the Gate before we board? Persume we would be able to use the fcl in zurich when we are awaiting our next flight?

Thanks again
Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: LH/LX
Originally Posted by irish mark
Thanks for that we are flying up from koh samui so we will be in transit for 4/5 hours in bkk before we board; so we can't ask at a Swiss desk as we will be airside. What would you suggest?? ask at the Gate before we board?
Ask at the transit desk counter in BKK. You have to go there anyway, as RSM is not issuing LX BP. I managed to get into the lounge by only showing ticket and *G card. No idea, if this is standard procedure or depends on the staff's mood.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:59 am

Thanks... We will have access to tg (I assume) business lounge anyway as we are already flying business....it's the upgrade to f that I'd like to try(cost dependant if course)
Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Just to be clear, if I'm on a (BD) redemption ticket LAX-ZRH I won't be able to buy up to F. Correct?
Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Originally Posted by alanw
Just to be clear, if I'm on a (BD) redemption ticket LAX-ZRH I won't be able to buy up to F. Correct?
Correct.

Buy up to F is only possible with revenue-tickets.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 1:27 am

Unless you don't mention your award to the M/C and buy up on the plane.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by irish mark
Thanks for that we are flying up from koh samui so we will be in transit for 4/5 hours in bkk before we board; so we can't ask at a Swiss desk as we will be airside. What would you suggest?? ask at the Gate before we board? Persume we would be able to use the fcl in zurich when we are awaiting our next flight?

Thanks again
Mark, even though only the longhaul leg is affected by a flat-fee upgrade, you will likely be able to negotiate your way into the F lounge if you show the receipt. But this is my speculation.

You could always leave your luggage with your wife and try to hop landside, if the transit desk can't help you. More likely is that the transit desk will call a ticket agent or flight supervisor over to the desk if they are not able to process the upgrade for you.

Another possible trick: Sweet-talk the station manager to order an extra two meal for you stating that you will upgrade on board, in case they can't finalize it for you at the airport.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 3:31 am

great ok...will try that...kinda wanted it to be a nice surprise buti will see how i get on...thanks for the advise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.