Wiki Posts
Search

long haul cash upgrade at gate? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP 2M, Starwood Gold
long haul cash upgrade at gate? [merged]

i did this once with swiss from econ to biz class from sao paulo to zurich for $400USD. Is this a regular practice by swiss to offer one way cash upgrades for this amount?

i have a flight very soon from zurich to montreal and was wandering if this might be an option for me to upgrade for $400 assuming there is space in business class?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by Christian Smith
i have a flight very soon from zurich to montreal and was wandering if this might be an option for me to upgrade for $400 assuming there is space in business class?
this matter has been discussed here a few times before. cash-upgrades departing from ZRH are highly unlikely.
the situation on the other way round is better. LX does offer cash-upgrades at checkin in various stations for longhaul LX flights. i bought such an upgrade @MIA for 499$. in JFK they offered the upgrade for 666$.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: Miles & More Senator, CX Marco Polo Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
cash-upgrades departing from ZRH are highly unlikely.
But you can do this onboard as well no? at least i did once anyway during the SR days from ZRH to HKG...
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:34 am

Smile now also ex ZRH

Originally Posted by Christian Smith
i did this once with swiss from econ to biz class from sao paulo to zurich for $400USD. Is this a regular practice by swiss to offer one way cash upgrades for this amount?

I recently overheard a conversation at the ticket counter. It seems as LX now also offer paid airport upgrades ex ZRH. Prices are however on the high side. North America is around CHF 1200.-
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:14 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by fratboy
But you can do this onboard as well no? at least i did once anyway during the SR days from ZRH to HKG...
You can certainly. The maitre de cabine can upgrade you for cash. Not sure about the prices though.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 5:49 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
You can certainly. The maitre de cabine can upgrade you for cash. Not sure about the prices though.
definitely not for 400$ ...
Old Nov 22, 2006, 6:28 am

Programs: Miles & More Senator, CX Marco Polo Club, SQ Krisflyer
somewhere in the region of 850 euros...i don't remember, but it was great that the option was available. Y class was really unappealing. Flight was continuing to MNL as well so stuffed to the gills.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:54 am

Yes You Can

Yes you can upgrade at the gate or the the cabin.

I witnessed the case a few times.

Ex ZRH I saw one C pax paying 2000.- CHF to get to F on a flight to MIA.

Another time I got an offer by the MC to be F-classed from C for 1800.- CHF from ZRH to LAX... I did not take to offer though.....

It is always up to the people at the gate or on the plane.... also beware that sometimes they dont have enough food on board....

kooks
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Hello,

the maître de cabine (purser) can show you the price-list. As far as I rember, C to F was from JFK to GVA about CHF 1400. OS has similar prices (I paid EUR 190 for Y->C on a VIE-TBS some time ago) .

Upgrades on board are possible on all flights worldwide except on ultra-shorthauls (no credit-card-reading machine on board as there is no duty-free-sale).

Patrick
Old Nov 24, 2006, 3:57 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by rorschi
Hello,

the maître de cabine (purser) can show you the price-list. As far as I rember, C to F was from JFK to GVA about CHF 1400. OS has similar prices (I paid EUR 190 for Y->C on a VIE-TBS some time ago) .

Upgrades on board are possible on all flights worldwide except on ultra-shorthauls (no credit-card-reading machine on board as there is no duty-free-sale).

Patrick
Does anyone know if onboard upgrades are possible on SIN-BKK and BKK-SIN? I'm trying to figure out if I will get a better price by booking in ZZ class versus booking in VV and paying for an upgrade (if available).

Currently VV is going for about $185 USD roundtrip, while confirmed ZZ is about $470. I thought it could be a fun and low cost way to sample LX's A340 business cabin. The flight length is 2 1/2 - 3 hours each way. Both SQ and TG do a Duty Free service onboard after the main meal service, if that info helps.

Also, the web site states ZZ class earns Business class of service mileage bonus, but does ZZ earns Business class elite miles, too?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:38 pm

Programs: BA,Amex,Hilton,Hyatt,SPG
Originally Posted by John26
Does anyone know if onboard upgrades are possible on SIN-BKK and BKK-SIN? I'm trying to figure out if I will get a better price by booking in ZZ class versus booking in VV and paying for an upgrade (if available).

Currently VV is going for about $185 USD roundtrip, while confirmed ZZ is about $470. I thought it could be a fun and low cost way to sample LX's A340 business cabin. The flight length is 2 1/2 - 3 hours each way. Both SQ and TG do a Duty Free service onboard after the main meal service, if that info helps.

Also, the web site states ZZ class earns Business class of service mileage bonus, but does ZZ earns Business class elite miles, too?
they are possible, but expensive!
I asked especially for an onboard upgrade and they told me, it would cost 400 CHF (~330 USD) OW!
It´s cheaper if you do that upgrade at the gate (Singapore) for 232 SGD (~150 USD).
Anyway, cheapest is still to buy ZZ fare for the roundtrip and have guaranteed seats!
And yes, you´ll earn status miles and bonus miles!
1794 miles (status and bonus) for OW in Z + executive bonus 224 Miles (status and bonus) for FTL/SEN or 449 for HON
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:59 am

Programs: M&M: HON/*GOLD
Paid Upgrades ex East Coast

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
this matter has been discussed here a few times before. cash-upgrades departing from ZRH are highly unlikely.
the situation on the other way round is better. LX does offer cash-upgrades at checkin in various stations for longhaul LX flights. i bought such an upgrade @MIA for 499$. in JFK they offered the upgrade for 666$.

Ex East Coast (JFK, BOS) LX sells C-2-F special upgrade for 600 US-$ upon check-in. The only credit you business class miles, so my experience, but you get an official LX receipt which you can subsequently hand in with a copy of your boarding pass and they will then credit you first class milage.

I am not aware of a similar scheme ex ZRH or GVA.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by anewsenator
I am not aware of a similar scheme ex ZRH or GVA.
There isn't any. The 600$-offer is only available at American airports*, and only when the upper class is widely open or the lower full...
From ZRH and GVA, you can upgrade with miles or for the official rate on board.

Patrick

*not sure about other airports in the world.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, KF Silver, BA Blue
Hi,

I asked about an upgrade (Y to C) at the ticket desk in Tokyo Narita and they wanted 300,000 JPY (approx 2000 Euro) One Way (NRT to ZRH)!!!! I politley declined !!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by vik4sh
Hi,

I asked about an upgrade (Y to C) at the ticket desk in Tokyo Narita and they wanted 300,000 JPY (approx 2000 Euro) One Way (NRT to ZRH)!!!! I politley declined !!
Hello,

don't buy a long-haul upgrade at the ticket desk, except if you pay it with miles or have a very expensive booking class in Economy. Ticket desks usually ask for the real fare difference.

On board you will have paid about 50% of that price (max. 1000 Euro).

Patrick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.