Community
Wiki Posts
Search

long haul cash upgrade at gate? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: LH/LO SEN, AF/KLM Platinum (Lite)
Originally Posted by Heidelberg Barbie
I am trying to decide whether to fly Lufthansa or Swiss Air from FRA - MIA and wondered if Swiss Air would be more likely to give a good upgrade-at-the-gate price. Seems that Lufthansa (based on this thread) is not likely to upgrade-at-the-gate for any discount. My question here is, is Swiss Air a better chance for that discounted upgrade? (at FRA) And then ... how about in MIA for the return trip?
Flying in October, btw.
Last week returning from the US I upgraded Q economy to business at the gate in MIA (to DUS) for 800usd. I found it to be a reasonable deal. (Luckily on the other way I got op-uped for free, which was even nicer )
Old May 16, 2010, 2:18 am

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JayPS
Last week returning from the US I upgraded Q economy to business at the gate in MIA (to DUS) for 800usd. I found it to be a reasonable deal. (Luckily on the other way I got op-uped for free, which was even nicer )
I am a bit puzzled as to how to tell what class the booking is on the LH site. Your choices on the main screen is Economy, Business, or First. After that you only see your flight choices and fare cost.

Swiss Air allows you to see the class of your ticket before you proceed to booking it.

I am also puzzled by the higher cost of LH business class vs other LCs And Swiss Air is nearly half the cost of LH. (off topic, I know. Just needed to get that off my brain )
Old May 16, 2010, 3:03 am

Programs: LH HON
I am a bit puzzled as to how to tell what class the booking is on the LH site. Your choices on the main screen is Economy, Business, or First. After that you only see your flight choices and fare cost.
You can tell the booking class by clicking on the link "Mileage Calculator". It is visible when the site shows the different routing options and according prices. Just select your desired route/price and click on the link below the chart (see picture below).

Old May 16, 2010, 3:10 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat

Swiss Air allows you to see the class of your ticket before you proceed to booking it.
You will see it on the LH site when finalizing your ticket price - it will stipulate the fare class you will be purchasing.
Old May 16, 2010, 3:41 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
You will see it on the LH site when finalizing your ticket price - it will stipulate the fare class you will be purchasing.
Or if you have booked a ticket already logging into your account and reviewing existing bookings will show the class of service and the booking class, e.g. Economy (E), Business (Z).

Originally Posted by JayPS
If you have read through this thread you will find that cash upgrades at the gate if they ever happen are likely to be on flights ex-US and very rare ex-Germany.

btw Swiss Air (or Swissair) no longer exists and it is now called Swiss International Air Lines or simply SWISS.
Old May 16, 2010, 3:45 am

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
btw Swiss Air (or Swissair) no longer exists and it is now called Swiss International Air Lines or simply SWISS.
I was curious about that. Thanks NewbieRunner.
Old May 26, 2010, 2:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
also on this topic but a little hijacking:

I recently did upsell at the check in on OS IAD-VIE,
of course only miles for Y posted on my account.

After severall attempts now OS M&M team tells me I won't receive miles
for Z only for the originally booked class.

In my understanding you don't get miles if you use the web offer ... but I did not expect that cash upselling at the check in won't give you C / Z whatever miles.
Old May 26, 2010, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by iandm
In my understanding you don't get miles if you use the web offer ... but I did not expect that cash upselling at the check in won't give you C / Z whatever miles.
make a copy of the receipt you got on board, send that in together with copies of the BPs and they will adjust it...
Old May 26, 2010, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by sentom
make a copy of the receipt you got on board, send that in together with copies of the BPs and they will adjust it...
as I wrote I did "cash" upsell at the checkin,

I sent them the BP and the upsell receipt and they tell me NO
you only get the miles for the originally booking class.
Old May 26, 2010, 2:47 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat

How much did you end up paying, btw?
Old May 26, 2010, 2:54 am

that used to be enough, i would keep trying, especially if you have a BP stating Z/J class...
Old May 26, 2010, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
How much did you end up paying, btw?
EUR 650,-
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Was offered a paid upgrade from discount Y to C at check in for my ICN-FRA flight. Only cost 200000 KRW or 130EUR for a 12 hour flight Must have been really oversold in Y because there were at least three other people near me who also took advantage. Lounge dragons were not allowing "upgraded" C passengers into the lounge, but my *gold card got me in.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cardesigner2000
Was offered a paid upgrade from discount Y to C at check in for my ICN-FRA flight. Only cost 200000 KRW or 130EUR for a 12 hour flight
Wow, what a deal! I'd love to get one of these once. ^
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:26 pm

do they still offer cash upgrades at a reasonable price for Z to F for JFK- FRA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.