Community
Wiki Posts
Search

long haul cash upgrade at gate? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:39 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
I've been offered a Y->C cash upgrade JNB-FRA on the A380. They wanted €550 and for some reason, which I still can't understand, I declined.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:28 am

Anyone ever been offered or purchased a C to F upgrade? We're doing DXB-LAX via FRA in C on 20 Dec and I am *G. Thought I'd ask

Greg
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Was ex-ICN but got a discounted Y-C paid upgrade at check-in offer last November thanks to my BD Gold status. Was only 130 EUR, so didn't hesitate one second. Only got mileage credit to BD for original booking class, but I can't complain.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:30 am
DUS

Programs: LH HON, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cardesigner2000
Only got mileage credit to BD for original booking class, but I can't complain.
That´s what I´ll never understand. If I PAY for an upgrade to C, I would be very unhappy not to get the C-Class miles. I remember OS offering these cash upgrades but then they DID say at the same time that you will only get the Y miles. That´s why I never even thought about paying for the upgrade for short trips within Europe.

Nonetheless, I think if you pay for an upgrade, you should get the miles for the fare class you book/pay for. Unfortunately, it´s not for me to decide other than simply not paying for those.

DUS
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:32 am
DUS

Programs: LH HON, Hilton Diamond
Then again, cardesigner2000, € 130,-- for your upgrade was indeed a bargain that even I wouldn´t have been able to resist. Even if they had told me about the miles ... lol.....
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:36 pm

I have been offered an upgrade from BLR - FRA on several occasions for ~$500USD
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:15 pm

I have been offered M to C cash upgrade on PVG-MUC for 4500 CNY a couple of times.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:23 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by A380*G
I have been offered M to C cash upgrade on PVG-MUC for 4500 CNY a couple of times.
so they approach you? or call your name at the gate?

500 euros for M to C is not bad ... never happened to me on HKG - MUC though
Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cardesigner2000
Was ex-ICN but got a discounted Y-C paid upgrade at check-in offer last November thanks to my BD Gold status. Was only 130 EUR, so didn't hesitate one second. Only got mileage credit to BD for original booking class, but I can't complain.
Indeed a good value!!!! I think anything ranging from that to around 500 U$ would be a reasonable deal for a 12hr flight, or is it just me considering to spend more than i have at the bank?!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: SPG-Platinum, LH-Senator
JFK-VIE Upgraded

Flew from JFK-VIE on OS, a B777, and had a 'red' economy ticket. Was offered the opp to upgrade for USD450 upon online check-in. Was a no-brainer, even though OS, like LH, doesn't have flat beds. I prefer LX and those new A330s with flat-beds. LH needs to get its act together. I know, they're waiting for the B747-8i to roll out its new C product. Why so long?! BA has had it for years!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:55 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DUS
That´s what I´ll never understand. If I PAY for an upgrade to C, I would be very unhappy not to get the C-Class miles. I remember OS offering these cash upgrades but then they DID say at the same time that you will only get the Y miles. That´s why I never even thought about paying for the upgrade for short trips within Europe.

Nonetheless, I think if you pay for an upgrade, you should get the miles for the fare class you book/pay for. Unfortunately, it´s not for me to decide other than simply not paying for those.

DUS
This is similar to Air Canada. All of their last minute upgrades offer miles per the original booking class I'm afraid.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by US-Expat
LH needs to get its act together. I know, they're waiting for the B747-8i to roll out its new C product. Why so long?! BA has had it for years!
The answer is simple. Captive market and sold out cabin. No need to change it so far. Instead of investing, they can continue to monetize. And I guess they could even do it for a couple of more years.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by mxr
so they approach you? or call your name at the gate?

500 euros for M to C is not bad ... never happened to me on HKG - MUC though
Yes, that's a quite good deal IMO. I have not been approached. Once I asked at the ticket office on the corner of the check in desks, and other times at the check in counter, never at the gate. But all the time I have asked they said that it was standard price last minute upgrade. I assume since they often fly with full C from PVG to MUC/FRA they don't get to sell many upgrades anyways.

Mostly they need to opup pax from C to F to accomodate for the overbooking in C.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:20 pm

Has anybody been offered upgrades for cash on SFO-MUC-SFO?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
MAA-FRA last week LH 759.

I was on a H fare, and was offered an approx 500$ (25000 INR) buy-up to C.
i did not bite for various reasons.
(also, was able to get Exit-row window on the A340-600.)

NOTE = buy-up did not come with C-class baggage allowance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.