Community
Wiki Posts
Search

long haul cash upgrade at gate? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by mtensioners
do they still offer cash upgrades at a reasonable price for Z to F for JFK- FRA?
Did they ever offer reasonable F cash upgrades? I've only read here about amounts above 1k USD - not really reasonable for most here I guess.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: LH*G, UA1K
Originally Posted by goliath
Wow, what a deal! I'd love to get one of these once. ^
I have already been offered such a deal twice on flights from ICN - once to FRA, once to MUC. And at least 10 people took advantage of it on one of them. Now, I am not sure why LH specifically offers such deals out of Korea Not I am complaining, of course, just plain curiosity here...
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: LH SEN
PHL-LHR taking 14 hrs

I was offered a 600$ upgrade on US from PHL to LHR from a deep discount Y in January. Upgrade was to "envoy class", which I took to mean between C and F (M&M only gave me miles for C in anycase).

Anyways, the flight had some problem about 3.5 hrs in and had to turn around. We went all the way back to PHL, sat on the tarmac for 2 hrs as the mechanics did their thing, then started up and flew on again. Ended up about 8 hrs late on a 6 hrs est flight time.

Being in C for that was the best investment I've ever made.

(side note: Guy next to me fell asleep immeadiatly after take off and woke up when we landed after about 7 hrs. Boy was he pissed when he found out we were still in PHL )
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:37 am

I am already in C cabin I was thinking about the F. I tried to check availability in F on LH 405 on Sunday Nov. 21 but was unable to get a seating chart. On AC you select the flight and click on the plane number and it gives you a good idea on what seats are still available. Can you do this on LH?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtensioners
I am already in C cabin I was thinking about the F. I tried to check availability in F on LH 405 on Sunday Nov. 21 but was unable to get a seating chart. On AC you select the flight and click on the plane number and it gives you a good idea on what seats are still available. Can you do this on LH?
You can check on flightstats.com if you register for free.
Seat assignments are not a very good indicator as a number of people do not reserve seats in advance.
Flight looks very open at the moment with Z9, and A9.
No idea if they will sell up to F in such a situation short of paying the fare difference (also if the flight is not that busy, and it is only 7.5 hours anyway, not really worth it). I think you mentioned you were on a Z fare, so the buyup to A would be a lot of money.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
You can check on flightstats.com if you register for free.
Seat assignments are not a very good indicator as a number of people do not reserve seats in advance.
Flight looks very open at the moment with Z9, and A9.
No idea if they will sell up to F in such a situation short of paying the fare difference (also if the flight is not that busy, and it is only 7.5 hours anyway, not really worth it). I think you mentioned you were on a Z fare, so the buyup to A would be a lot of money.
agreed. If the price was "really" reasonable i would consider it as its a 747 but if not happy in 1A. I will wait until check in and see about availability in F and if offered price is the deciding factor.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
Question LH cash upgrades

Hi guys, I've noticed there are many topics about this, related to mileage posting, booking class codes for upgrades (and questions about upsell), cost and availability. (I hope I've looked for it enough before posting, feel free to delete it if I'm mistaken!)
Well, it is known LH offers cash upgrades at check-in (and sometimes at gate). I've seen many telling their experiences inbound to Germany, but never heard of such upgrades ex- FRA/MUC/DUS, does anyone have any experiences with that? Are they available?
Also, I'll be flying Y (discounted fare) GRU-MUC on november 4th, therefore, i have a few questions:
Has anyone ever tried/got an UPG on LH ex GRU?
I've searched on flightstats.com about the load which showed F4; C5; Y9 (Y,B,M and 6U fares still available). --> AFAIK it means it is supposed to be quite a full flight, with that load, what are the cash upg chances Y-->C?
Last but not least, being *A Silver helps in that case? (will only reach gold with upcoming trips this end of year)
Thank you all!
Cheers!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 4:42 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
as long as there is availability in C they will let you upgrade at the airport for cash.

You will have to pay the full difference between your fare and C...

They will actually be happy to give you a cash upgrade if loads are quite full imo so they would not have to bump someone else up for free

its not like UA where you can get cheap cash upgrades at the airport from Y>C ... if your looking for that, stick to UA
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mxr
as long as there is availability in C they will let you upgrade at the airport for cash.
You will have to pay the full difference between your fare and C...
They will actually be happy to give you a cash upgrade if loads are quite full imo so they would not have to bump someone else up for free
its not like UA where you can get cheap cash upgrades at the airport from Y>C ... if your looking for that, stick to UA
I've done a few relatively cheap cash upgrades on SWISS (MIA-ZRH) which cost US$ 600 a couple of years back. LH doesn't offer this option as far as I know. But paying the difference between some eco class and and full C - well, no.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
Sure it is not worth paying the fare difference. However I am pretty sure, by what other FT's have stated, that LH offers cash upgrades apart from the fare difference. You can read about this here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...merged-14.html
And on the very same topic there is a FTer which managed to get one of them from GRU (however heading to ZRH with LX), so really don't know what to expect...
Any clues? I'll be posting my experience within two weeks (hopefully, after a pleasant travel in C! )
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:45 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by BRflyer
Sure it is not worth paying the fare difference. However I am pretty sure, by what other FT's have stated, that LH offers cash upgrades apart from the fare difference. You can read about this here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...merged-14.html
And on the very same topic there is a FTer which managed to get one of them from GRU (however heading to ZRH with LX), so really don't know what to expect...
Any clues? I'll be posting my experience within two weeks (hopefully, after a pleasant travel in C! )
Im quite sure that you wont find this opportunity when flying LH - they do not want to downgrade their C by offering cheap upgrade fares at the gate.

I just did one recently MUC - HKG. I was in a low Y fare and upgraded on a fully loaded A340 to C for the full difference between the two fares.
It showed 0 in Y before I upgraded and +1 afterwards. C was full aswell.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by mxr
Im quite sure that you wont find this opportunity when flying LH - they do not want to downgrade their C by offering cheap upgrade fares at the gate.
Actually, they do. Just from the outstations rather then hubs.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Lack
Actually, they do. Just from the outstations rather then hubs.
And that is very seasonal, usually during slow periods for business travel. In US, it is around July 4th, Thanksgiving and Christmas (at least at BOS). I asked few times about the upgrade, but got the explanation that it is not up to the outstation, it depends on what FRA is telling them.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold, SPG platinum
Are cash upgrades accepted on award tickets?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Cedos
Are cash upgrades accepted on award tickets?
I don't know if this is regular practice but last summer, LH offered to upgrade my wife (traveling on an award ticket) from Y to C for $600. This was for a SEA-FRA flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.