Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:39 am

Programs: LH SEN
I have found it is random whether an agent will re-book into any booking class, or whether they will insist on the same booking class being available.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by SK AAR
If you want to reroute you need to contact before 31 Jan 2021

If you want to rebook a cancelled flight (same origin/destination but new dates) you need to do it before 31 March 2021.

This is the way I read it.
Just called Swiss Moscow office today - they are not aware of any '31 March 2021' yet. ~10 days left to rebook the flights and there are still a lot of uncertainties...
Old Jan 20, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Originally Posted by Keter
Just called Swiss Moscow office today - they are not aware of any '31 March 2021' yet. ~10 days left to rebook the flights and there are still a lot of uncertainties...
LX and OS have indeed not clarified their rules for cancelled flights, but they mention no date at all for that case, so the "10days" until 31Jan which you mention may not apply. Nobody seems to know.

I'm still torn in between thinking that:
a) LX is gambling and currently prefers to refund tickets, rather than rebooking them. (and hopes to sell new tickets at a higher price later)
b) LX tries to convince customers into booking flights which will operate, even if most passengers won't be able to travel because restrictions are not yet lifted, so LX keeps the money without refund. (That won't do much good to the somewhat stressed out customer relationship, and it won't create all that much gain because they'd still need to fly around nearly empty planes for this to work, so I doubt the motivation to do this on purpose)
c) LX has lost its marbles and is not capable of handling it better than this mess.

I'll keep holding on to my tickets for now.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Keter
Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard
LX and OS have indeed not clarified their rules for cancelled flights, but they mention no date at all for that case, so the "10days" until 31Jan which you mention may not apply. Nobody seems to know.

I'm still torn in between thinking that:
a) LX is gambling and currently prefers to refund tickets, rather than rebooking them. (and hopes to sell new tickets at a higher price later)
b) LX tries to convince customers into booking flights which will operate, even if most passengers won't be able to travel because restrictions are not yet lifted, so LX keeps the money without refund. (That won't do much good to the somewhat stressed out customer relationship, and it won't create all that much gain because they'd still need to fly around nearly empty planes for this to work, so I doubt the motivation to do this on purpose)
c) LX has lost its marbles and is not capable of handling it better than this mess.

I'll keep holding on to my tickets for now.
@Keter @LoungeLizzard - Would it be correct to assume that you both have flights that were cancelled earlier and you just left open? If so, I'm in a bit of a different situation and also unsure what to do. I have LH flights to BKK from Sep 2020 that were cancelled and I rebooked to Apr 2021. They're still scheduled to operate as of now, but given current quarantine requirements in Thailand, there is no way for me to make the trip. Per LH's currently policy, since my new flight is not cancelled, I have to rebook by Jan 31 and a full refund is not an option (this was a P fare booking). At this point, I would prefer a refund because I'm not sure when this trip will become feasible again. :/
Old Jan 20, 2021, 11:28 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by capedreamer
@Keter @LoungeLizzard - Would it be correct to assume that you both have flights that were cancelled earlier and you just left open? If so, I'm in a bit of a different situation and also unsure what to do. I have LH flights to BKK from Sep 2020 that were cancelled and I rebooked to Apr 2021. They're still scheduled to operate as of now, but given current quarantine requirements in Thailand, there is no way for me to make the trip. Per LH's currently policy, since my new flight is not cancelled, I have to rebook by Jan 31 and a full refund is not an option (this was a P fare booking). At this point, I would prefer a refund because I'm not sure when this trip will become feasible again. :/
Yes, some flights in my reservation were cancelled and I called LX to cancel all other segments to use the ticket in the future.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:04 am

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
@Keter @LoungeLizzard - Would it be correct to assume that you both have flights that were cancelled earlier and you just left open?
Yes, you are right. I've got two tickets to the far east which were cancelled and I've put them on hold.
Sorry about the situation you're in, where you have a booking and can neither refund the money nor enter the country.
- That is of course less pleasant and the risk for this to happen is what keeps me from rebooking now.
- The lack of offers anywhere near as good as the ones I have keeps me from refunding. The option to rebook A-Class into F-Class if necessary is another reason why I'm holding on to my dormant tickets.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It may happen that LH will cancel or make significant schedule changes for your flight before April (= you are able to ask for refund). But certainly not guaranteed.
It may also be that the deadline for rebooking under good will policy is extended. Due to the current uncertain conditions this would make sense.
You could also gamble and rebook now for future dates (W21/22) and hope that LH will reschedule or cancel any of your flights before the flight date.

Neither of these options are guaranteed to allow you to get a refund; we really can't tell you what you do.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Keter LoungeLizzard SK AAR - Thank you for confirming my understanding. I'm in a bit of a pickle now because LH is forcing me to make a decision by Jan 31 but any cancellations for April flights likely won't take place until sometime in February or March. I guess I will see what happens next week and then make a last minute decision. Thanks again.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:31 pm

I have a long haul flight with LX coming up soon. The outgoing intraeuropean segment (but not the long haul segment) was cancelled. I do not want to fly the suggested replacement flight.

Am I right to assume that I can at no extra rebook the whole trip with same original and destination to a new date of my choosing in the same cabin so far it does not break any of the original fare rules? The new dates will be within a year of the original booking.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 1:38 am
R2

It appears the requirement to change tickets by 31.1 or 31.3 has been removed. This is what's on the LH website now:

If one or more flights of your trip are cancelled, you have the following options:

1. You can rebook once free of charge on an alternative flight to the same destination and in the same class of carriage. The rebooking must be made within the period of ticket validity (usually one year from the original departure date).
To do so, please contact our Service Center or your travel agent as soon as possible.

2. If your ticket was issued before or on August 31, 2020, a one-time change of class of carriage, departure or destination airport is possible*. Your ticket will still retain its value and you can use it for a new trip departing by Dec. 31, 2021. The ticket will be recalculated for this trip. Rebooking fees may apply, as well as surcharges to the higher class of travel or route, if applicable.
To do so, please contact our Service Center or your travel agent by May 31, 2021.

No flight cancellations to your itinerary, but you still want to rebook:

1. Your ticket was issued after August 31, 2020:

(a) Your flexible fare conditions apply: You can rebook your ticket free of charge and as often as you wish. Due to fare differences, an additional payment to a higher fare may be required. The rebooking must be made before the originally planned travel date.
You can make your rebooking easily and quickly yourself under "My bookings" or contact your travel agent.

b) A change of class of carriage, departure or destination airport is possible free of charge*. Surcharges to the higher class of carriage or route may apply. The rebooking must be made before the originally planned travel date.
Please contact our Service Center or your travel agent for this purpose.
kilo likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The goodwill policy has been updated:

TWP 2101: Options for rebooking flights booked before August 31, 2020

Unfortunately, the pandemic continues to affect our lives. In the current situation, passengers who want to postpone their already booked flights can rebook their tickets for new dates at a convenient time for them in accordance with the new simplified rules of the Lufthansa Group Goodwill airlines (TWP 2101) Now all tickets issued before August 31, 2020 can be rebooked until May 31, 2021.
Please note:
• Passengers whose flights have been canceled can reissue tickets at any time in accordance with the Flight irregularities policy (OS / LH / LX), SN INVOL rules or EN INVOL rules
• Flights booked after August 25, 2020 can be rebooked an unlimited number of times without charging a rebooking fee, so the new Goodwill rules will not apply to them.
• The date of issue of the ticket is always considered the date of issue of the current valid ticket. If the ticket has not been reissued yet, this date is considered the date of issue. If the ticket has already been reissued, this date is considered the date of reissue.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's really good news as I have a few bookings that are gonna be expired before I'll have a chance to rebook them. LOT needs to catch up. Extend the ticket validity Basia, what are you playing at?!
Old Jan 22, 2021, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed good news. I believe the following is essential/important info:

The date of issue of the ticket is always considered the date of issue of the current valid ticket. If the ticket has not been reissued yet, this date is considered the date of issue. If the ticket has already been reissued, this date is considered the date of reissue.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's interesting. I was told by LOT that they go back the original ticket issuance when verifying ticket validity. I wanted to rebook a few trips that are coming to the end of their life at the beginning of March and I thought that rebooking them would give them new validity and another year of life. I was told that isn't the way it works?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I certainly hope you are right because I have a LH ticket from March 2020 (currently put on hold as the flights back in July were cancelled) that I would like to rebook later and use for summer 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.