Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Plus: you can only use the voucher when rebooking via the customer service center, not when you book a flight yourself (e.g. a new flight). Hence, you are bound to accept the price they quote you if you want to use the voucher !
...and the voucher is tied to the passenger name. I have booked tickets for my dad and a friend (in separate transactions). They were supposed to be travelling this week. They will not be able to use the ticket and the voucher in the future. Money down the drain, if you ask me. I need to push for the refund.

I know that there are a lot of smart people out there, but would a concept like a travel bank etc. make a lot more sense?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
i called to change a booking that I was having this week with the UK number but they said waiting time was 2 hours, so I just called the US number and waited 20 mins, I had a booking LHR-ZRH-ATH-MUC-LHR, they said if i asked for a refund it could be several months to get the money back. Since I will fly to ATH at some point and my flight was cancelled anyway, I just asked for a open ticket that I can rebook until August with the 50 EUR discount. I already paid top dollar for the ticket, so I doubt the fare difference will be too big, but I understand the concern of people on transatlantic flights as the difference can be huge! In those cases I would ask for a refund.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: LH SEN
Just phoned LH/LX to rebook flights

LH had cancelled my previous flightsLON-FRA-ZRH. They said they could only rebook free of charge if I took the same flights. If I wanted to go direct LON-ZRH with Swiss, then it would be an extra €100 !

I then tried to rebook a future flight (departs in 3 weeks) which has been cancelled (i.e. not selling tickets and it's not one of the daily LON-ZRH flights still running). The advisor swore blind that the flight was still running and said I could only use it for the same class / fare type scam.

They are jokers indeed.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:27 am

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Had a Mini Round The World for 25/6/20-23/07/20 booked SYD-SIN-ZRH-BUD-FRA-LAX-SYD x 2pax( business class)

My Sydney Travel Agent rang me on Monday & advised that Lufthansa would not charge cancellation fees.

So I cancelled & rebooked for 1 Sept 2020 - 1 Oct 2020 SYD-SIN-FRA-BUD-FRA-LAX-SYD ( only difference was ZRH was changed to FRA)

For the convenience I had to pay an extra $890.32AUD = 445.16 x 2 Pax

​​​​​​Explanation was fare increase plus increase in taxes.

1. Is that correct that Lufthansa can gouge me the additional cost?
2. If corona virus is still in full swing in September 2020 am I protected by Lufthansa & able to reschedule once again and or probably more wisely obtain a credit on this rescheduled booking?
Many Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
I called LX to rebook flights. I booked A class tickets during the last companion sale. Agent told me paying fare difference is mandatory. In my case, around 2000 euros. No budging.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely you mean €1900? Don't forget Helga's very generous €50 offer per pax.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
Surely you mean €1900? Don't forget Helga's very generous €50 offer per pax.
Original flights were ~2000 EUR a passenger, cheapest ones we could find were ~3150 a passenger. I rounded down, even after Frau Helga's generous offer
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's really ridiculous.

I am subscribed to the Lurker thread and I saw your post. "Jens" really has muddled the waters with his cancellation for no rebooking fare difference post, however I suspect (as you then wrote you had experienced) that it is +/-3/7 days which is nothing new and has been that way for years. This really is a total insult when its Helga's decision to not fly empty planes around and cancel flights.

She needs to follow LOT and rebook CANX flights without any upsell.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
It's really ridiculous.

I am subscribed to the Lurker thread and I saw your post. "Jens" really has muddled the waters with his cancellation for no rebooking fare difference post, however I suspect (as you then wrote you had experienced) that it is +/-3/7 days which is nothing new and has been that way for years. This really is a total insult when its Helga's decision to not fly empty planes around and cancel flights.

She needs to follow LOT and rebook CANX flights without any upsell.
Yet LH is allowing some customers to change from booking class to booking class without paying fare difference. I guess different rules for Senators than for the rest of us?

https://www.vielfliegertreff.de/luft...ml#post3153218
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by montezume; Apr 3, 2020 at 2:37 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by montezume
Yet LH is allowing some customers to change from booking class to booking class without paying fare difference. I guess different rules for Senators than for the rest of us?

https://www.vielfliegertreff.de/luft...ml#post3153218
I called LH, I have the same promo booking in A, LH asking for $1300 Euros extra. She also told me to wait as my flight is scheduled for May 7 and that if the flight is cancelled then no fare difference needs to be paid. I sent ticket to my credit card company for chargeback.
whiskey_sk and hugolover like this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:56 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I called LH, I have the same promo booking in A, LH asking for $1300 Euros extra. She also told me to wait as my flight is scheduled for May 7 and that if the flight is cancelled then no fare difference needs to be paid. I sent ticket to my credit card company for chargeback.
Your flight is not cancelled yet. The Agent you had on phone was right.
I see no basis for a chargeback.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Given that the flight is not yet cancelled by LH, are you not only due the taxes and fees back now if you cancel or chargeback?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Your flight is not cancelled yet. The Agent you had on phone was right.
I see no basis for a chargeback.
+1
Old Apr 4, 2020, 6:25 am

If these vouchers were more like Deutsch Bahn vouchers, I wouldn't mind. When I use a gift card / voucher with DB, I can use it as a form of payment on the website or app (instead of a CC), and they email me a new voucher with the remainder of the value. It's very disingenuous of the LH group to even call these "vouchers".
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by KSA_USA
I hope she knows what she is talking about and not making things up.
Didn't she just confirmed that the fare difference, if any, is still payable by you? Very small or not remains to be seen, I'm not sure if you purchased your ticket during any special offers or companion fares...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.