Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a copy paste from the LH policy doc. The discount doesn't help when the new fare basis is higher but the figure than 50EUR. The example I gave, a fare basis of 30 EUR going to 45EUR means 15 EUR to pay. It's not free...

Lets remember how LH Group fiddles the YQ...not an insignificant number of tickets will be affected.
LH told me today there is "no timetable for refund processing" because rebookings were prioritised for stranded pax (tens of thousands of stranded pax told F.U. by LH though...only Germans count but we want to keep your "Auslanders" cash!). Seems that every single employee in LH back office is doing rebooking... including Frau Christina with her lovely email missives.

I asked, will it be months she said "possibly". I can't wait more than 120 days because some transactions have not been booked with a UK credit card and I will need to make use of the standard chargeback procedures.

It's a pity they can't just can't do a genuinely easy and pax focussed rebooking of no recalc in the same compartment, like LOT. If the taxpayer bails them out, they're no longer a real commercial entity in my eyes anyway. Just another LOT, except fewer pax friendly policies.

They're trying to protect the peak season, which is a gamble (or would be if the taxpayer didn't guarantee their liabilities) if pax are gunning for refunds and the summer bookings are weak. Then they will wish they let pax rebook and get the bums in seats.
newflyer530 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:25 pm

LH Flexi reservation

I have a fully refundable reservation with lufthansa from IAH to FRA(UA Metal), booked directly on lh.com But now I cannot cancel it online. Unable to get through the reservation line. It's a nightmare !
Keter and hugolover like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
AMEX Travel is telling me that LH Group policy doesn't apply to Austrian Airlines. My ticket is non-refundable and I have to travel by 12/31/20. Doesn't help me when my vacation tour was rescheduled to next year. My outbound April 10 has cancelled. Should I wait until the return cancels to request a refund?
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by Nikongirl
AMEX Travel is telling me that LH Group policy doesn't apply to Austrian Airlines. My ticket is non-refundable and I have to travel by 12/31/20. Doesn't help me when my vacation tour was rescheduled to next year. My outbound April 10 has cancelled. Should I wait until the return cancels to request a refund?
If your outbound has been cancelled, you have a right to refund of the whole trip. That is not dependent on LH, OS or any other EU airline.

There are two questions now left:
1. Will you be able to process or will they tell you to call later since your ticket is long time out still.
2. Will you be able to get cash, or only a voucher
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
If your outbound has been cancelled, you have a right to refund of the whole trip. That is not dependent on LH, OS or any other EU airline.
I have the feeling we may be talking about separate reservations here, otherwise I can't see them disputing this. (Not Amex at least.)

Last edited by mmff; Mar 27, 2020 at 12:24 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Anyone got evidence already that in case of a voluntary change with no change fees *under the existing waiver) historical prices will apply?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Originally Posted by mmff
I have the feeling we may be talking about separate reservations here, otherwise I can't see them disputing this. (Not Amex at least.)
This was booked as a single RT reservation, ticked on OS, but with OS and LH flights (to/from CPT). Also, AMEX is telling me that they have to follow what appears on OS website (as of today, that means no refund) and is unable to call the airline.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, TK*EPL, A3*G, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
That's a copy paste from the LH policy doc. The discount doesn't help when the new fare basis is higher but the figure than 50EUR. The example I gave, a fare basis of 30 EUR going to 45EUR means 15 EUR to pay. It's not free...
Not sure how it works for you guys but I've just called Lufthansa to reschedule few bookings I have in upcoming weeks and it turned out the rebooking discount is kind of a scam. The recalculated prices were much higher than those available on website, even with the 50EUR discount applied. I tried to find someone more qualified but during my next call lady told me she sees notes in my booking and what I was offered during previous call (so HUCA doesn't really work anymore with LH, I guess?), but she was so kind to double check it and she told me exactly the same prices.

Eventually I cancelled every reservation I have with Lufthansa in March and April and what suprised me, they didn't offer any voucher, just mentioned it may take some time - maybe a month, maybe two, maybe even up to September this year.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH*FQTV
Originally Posted by pull_over
maybe a month, maybe two, maybe even up to September this year.
Wait what, was that the statement of the agent or your interpretation of "might take a while"?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by nini_su
Wait what, was that the statement of the agent or your interpretation of "might take a while"?
Well she said "some time", not "a while", but anyway she explicitly said UP TO September.
What was funny she mentioned it after every cancellation - and every time she also added they have around 50 million of refunds to process. I guess that's in the script right now.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Nikongirl
This was booked as a single RT reservation, ticked on OS, but with OS and LH flights (to/from CPT). Also, AMEX is telling me that they have to follow what appears on OS website (as of today, that means no refund) and is unable to call the airline.
I think you need to call Amex again. If they cancelled one of the legs and you're not interested in travelling on different dates, you're due a full cash refund. If the airline refuses (or is unable) to issue the cash refund, Amex definitely needs to step in. Just out of curiosity, what Amex card do you have and where are you based? Consumers in America are typically better protected than those in the EU when it comes down to credit card payments but I would still be surprised if Amex did not help you regardless of your home jurisdiction in this case. Please keep us posted.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by pull_over
Well she said "some time", not "a while", but anyway she explicitly said UP TO September.
What was funny she mentioned it after every cancellation - and every time she also added they have around 50 million of refunds to process. I guess that's in the script right now.
According to LH itself they fly an average of 5.8m passengers per month, thus 50m refunds is almost 9 months worth of LH passenger travel (first-order approximation). As they have not (yet) cancelled flights that far out in time and most people buy non-refundable fares, I find it hard to believe that they actually have a backlog of 50m refunds to process right now.

Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: LH M+M
350 aircraft - when 700 are grounded? Something doesn't add up here
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
According to LH itself they fly an average of 5.8m passengers per month, thus 50m refunds is almost 9 months worth of LH passenger travel (first-order approximation). As they have not (yet) cancelled flights that far out in time and most people buy non-refundable fares, I find it hard to believe that they actually have a backlog of 50m refunds to process right now.
Well of course it's a lie and they rounded-up the numbers, not to mention she said "around" 50 mio, but I guess it could be ther number for whole LH Group, as I also cancelled LX and SN ticket in a single call and the number was exactly the same.
But I wouldn't care really, it's obvious the problem is the number, not the one she mentioned however, but the one with EUR at the end)
mmff likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBG
Just my experience: Had a First companion fare in April to DPS. Got rebooked a few weeks ago when A380 was grounded from LH to SQ. Now we are (of course) not going in April. We wanted to rebook in May. The first agent I talked to wanted between 4.000 and 10.000 pr. ticket for a rebooking(!) 'cause the companion fare didn't exist anymore. Called again later, talked with a supervisor which rebooked us on LX and SQ. Even SQ wasn't a problem, as long as "A" was available, no fare difference was collected.
more4less and montezume like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.