Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does Helga's 50 EUR discount for rebooking's ALSO apply to Agency Tickets? Is that technically feasible?

I understood changes of date and route were possible via Contact Centre's with control of the ticket to LH. Refunds would be via the Agency.

Have I misunderstood?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH Group are now asking pax to fill out a webform to receive the 50 EUR voucher via email to use at a later date in combination with the original booking or a new one, it's not working the same way as LH where the 50 EUR discount is calculated on the spot by the agent.

*The purpose of it is to waive the pax's right to a cash refund by treating the 50 EUR discount as a pax consenting to receive that plus the original value left in the ticket*

I guess some clever lawyers came up with this. The refund option has completely disappeared from the website!

https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/corona-faq#faq-booking

Lovely EU that worked for Germany so well until now in the bin... Dexit on the cards to avoid EU law?

Last edited by hugolover; Apr 6, 2020 at 7:05 am Reason: Not just SN but LH Group
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by mmff
Policy change?
I suppose they got a lot nasty mail from lawyers and the credit card companies doing charge backs. In the German news it is reported that while the Government send a proposal to Brussels to temporary ignore the current passenger rights and force customers to accept vouchers, as long as nothing has been decided European law is valid and the airlines are forced to refund for flights not operated.

So until EU changes its laws, pax are owed a full refund. Not sure how quick they can move, but so far it seems nothing really happens to that end.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Raul_R
Just got rebooked my promo A fare to HKG (fare valid originally until end of June) to September without any problem and extra cost. Via Hon Service.
Was also offered to put all booking on hold with possibility to fly without any extra cost (if the routing remain same) until end of year.
Ineresting so no fare difference charged?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
I suppose they got a lot nasty mail from lawyers and the credit card companies doing charge backs. In the German news it is reported that while the Government send a proposal to Brussels to temporary ignore the current passenger rights and force customers to accept vouchers, as long as nothing has been decided European law is valid and the airlines are forced to refund for flights not operated.

So until EU changes its laws, pax are owed a full refund. Not sure how quick they can move, but so far it seems nothing really happens to that end.
They already found a way around that, see how the voucher works now. You sign away your right to a refund and the option of a refund has totally disappeared. That word is VERBOTEN on LH.com.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Ineresting so no fare difference charged?
Correct.
Was told that as long A class is available it is directly booking class to booking class.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In tiny writing at the bottom of the page it says:

* To qualify for the €50 discount when rebooking a new ticket, either the original ticket or the rebooked ticket must have a base fare value (excluding taxes, fees and surcharges) of more than €50"

They just can't help themselves.

They want to keep onto our cash.
They fiddle the fare basis with monstrous YQ charges which they exclude from rebooking despite it being revenue.

Anyone holding a typical €100-150 LH European fare will have to pay more as well as countless longhaul fares, especially the US Light fares with fiddled YQ and tiny fare basis- and remember LH are denying pax with cancelled flights the chance to rebook for gratis, because its by RBD.

Especially SN pax with one way fares with fares basis typically less than 50 EUR.

And remember, they want to keep your cash and charge you more. This is disgusting.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Please let us know when the refund hits you bank / credit card account.
If it only arrives in several months (as some verbatims allude to), I don't see where it is better than a voucher...

For instance, I received a refund confirmation from LX about 3 weeks ago - still waiting...
I was told 30 days which I find to be quite acceptable at this point. Perhaps you’ll see your refund posted this week
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: LH SEN LT , Hilton
Cancelled my last booking for 24th April today , 20 sec wait time on the SEN line. Very nice Lady offered refund immediatley , did mention I had the option to re-book, no mention of the voucher. Just asked kindly to be patient on receiving on the refund as this dept. Is overloaded. Email received before we finished the conversation. Reading the last few posts was ready to demand the refund however the whole process was very pleasant & quick. Fair play to LH
i have 3 refunds in the system now since 3 wks , 2 online bookings & 1TA , let's see how long they take but as long as they return before I fly again I am ok. In my business sector I am already seeing juggling of cash flow & working on keeping people employed but not letting down partner payments , it's tough but being open & honest on when you can expect payment is better than hiding or making excuses. We are all in this together.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
I can also report that I have just reebooked my GRU-PVG F flights with LH/LX.

I was told that if I wanted to reebook now, no fare difference would be charged as long as "A" availability was there. Representative claimed that fare difference would not be charged only if there was a cancellation involved - which was indeed the case.

Alternatively, I was offered the choice of a full refund or a voucher.

My original flight was on May 1st and I was told that if I wanted to wait longer than the first leg date to reschedule my trip, a fare difference would be charge (if there was any).
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I had flights from Chicago to Dubrovnik on April 23 and a return flight from Barcelona to Chicago for May 3. Lufthansa cancelled my flights back on March 13.
I called Lufthansa today, time on hold was less than a minute.
The phone representative stated my refund was in the queue for processing but it can take 6 weeks for a refund of the ticket and seat reservations.

Last edited by blacke61; Apr 6, 2020 at 1:32 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
I had a flight GVA-FRA-FMO where FMO segments got cancelled. So, I called LH support and got connected almost immediately. Got rebooked for June. But here is where the interesting case starts. The original ticket was 285 EUR. So the credit that I should have from LH is 335 EUR. Wanted to get the flights that, if purchased now, cost 310 CHF. The agent could not get those flights. The new flight that I got rebooked, if purchased now, are 210 CHF. And of course, no refund of the unused portion of the 285 EUR original price. Also, if purchased now, the flights that I got rebooked, are sold on lh.com in K and L classes, whereas my itinerary that I got rebooked by an LH agent is in T and L. And the new ticket is now on 724 stock...
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GRUflyer
I can also report that I have just reebooked my GRU-PVG F flights with LH/LX.

I was told that if I wanted to reebook now, no fare difference would be charged as long as "A" availability was there. Representative claimed that fare difference would not be charged only if there was a cancellation involved - which was indeed the case.

Alternatively, I was offered the choice of a full refund or a voucher.

My original flight was on May 1st and I was told that if I wanted to wait longer than the first leg date to reschedule my trip, a fare difference would be charge (if there was any).

Now is this based on a promo fare in A that you booked or a full fare A?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just called another agent and she said pay a fare difference of 4000 Euros.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:15 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Now is this based on a promo fare in A that you booked or a full fare A?
It was promo fare, bought last autumn.
If you have status, call to the status-dedicated hotline.
Can also try First Class hotline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.