Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots go on strike! Not again... [Nov 2016 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Any news/guesses regarding whether the strike will continue on Saturday?
My guess is there won't be any strike on Saturday and Sunday. Plenty of damage done, a couple of non-strike days inbetween might actually make things even worse (especially if they start to strike again on Monday..)
Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Any guesses how bad the lines will be at MUC Saturday morning in the nonLH terminal, in my case for a DL flight nonstop to the USA? Of course I'm expecting the flight to be oversold, but I'm top tier elite traveling on a cheap paid business class ticket. I'm worried about whether I should get to the airport much earlier than usual to drop a bag after (hopefully) having done OLCI and printed my boarding passes.

Advice please for someone who doesn't like to get up early in the morning? BTW I plan to take either the S Bahn or the airport bus to MUC from Munich Hbf.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest. There are no extra flights laid on, as far as I know, and since most flights are at 80%+ loads, security isn't going to be much worse. (And MUC is pretty efficient.) If I were you I'd leave the Hbf about three hours before the flight, just to be on the safe side, but that should give you two+ hours at the airport.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest. There are no extra flights laid on, as far as I know, and since most flights are at 80%+ loads, security isn't going to be much worse. (And MUC is pretty efficient.) If I were you I'd leave the Hbf about three hours before the flight, just to be on the safe side, but that should give you two+ hours at the airport.
That's earlier than I normally go to the airport.

BTW, CNN is reporting that 870 flights were cancelled yesterday and 912 for today.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
There you go !

The reason I suggested three hours from Hbf is that the S8 has the irritating habit of ending (unannounced) at somewhere like Unterföhring and then turning back, which means you need to wait at the platform for the next train. Not a big deal, but it eats into your time. As you know, the walk from the airport station to the security point at the non-LH terminal is very short. My point was more in the direction of not allowing much more extra time because I don't think there will be that much more volume.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: TK*G, Delta Gold
Flight cancelled for Friday. Return on the same ticket on Sunday.

a) If I buy a new one-way for Friday on a different carrier. Will the return portion of my LH ticket remain valid? Any experience with asking LH to foot the bill for the new ticket in such a case?
b) Any chance to claim EU 216/2004 compensation?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 5:26 am

a) Why not just get LH to rebook you on the new carrier? There is no written policy that they will refund a newly purchased ticket, but they will book you on another IATA airline.

b) Also, strikes are excluded from compensation, but duty of care applies.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR
a) Why not just get LH to rebook you on the new carrier? There is no written policy that they will refund a newly purchased ticket, but they will book you on another IATA airline.

b) Also, strikes are excluded from compensation, but duty of care applies.
AFAIK there's normally no duty of care if the passenger is at home before the start of the trip. There could be exceptions if one has traveled far to the airport before learning of the cancellation.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
There you go !

The reason I suggested three hours from Hbf is that the S8 has the irritating habit of ending (unannounced) at somewhere like Unterföhring and then turning back, which means you need to wait at the platform for the next train. Not a big deal, but it eats into your time. As you know, the walk from the airport station to the security point at the non-LH terminal is very short. My point was more in the direction of not allowing much more extra time because I don't think there will be that much more volume.
Would S1 be better?

So far, my plan is to aim for the bus, but with it being LH operated IIRC, I wonder whether it could be cancelled or slow due to the strike. Saturday morning traffic on the roads should be OK, assuming that the bus isn't too packed with displaced LH passengers for one to be able to get a seat or indeed get onto the bus. If it looks like I've just missed a bus, I'll go to the S Bahn.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
quick update:

currently sitting in FRA T1. It looks like a ghost airport with literally no traffic what so ever. 90% shops are closed. all departures today from T1 were UA outbound to USA. I'm scheduled to fly AI to DEL 9.30pm local, and nothing to do !! sooooo boring..

can anyone invite me to the business lounge please? I will be extremely greatfull

Last edited by techblr; Nov 24, 2016 at 6:54 am
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by techblr
quick update:

currently sitting in FRA T1. It looks like a ghost airport with literally no traffic what so ever. 90% shops are closed. all departures today from T1 were UA outbound to USA. I'm scheduled to fly AI to DEL 9.30pm local, and nothing to do !! sooooo boring..

can anyone invite me to the business lounge please? I will be extremely greatfull
See if you can find someone by checking the dedicated thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...-meetings.html
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:27 am

CNN international is showing an empty FRA airport. They say the strike is (directly) costing LH ten million Euro per day, plus the loss of revenue from those who start avoiding LH because it's strike prone.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 8:53 am

Was just checking arrivals at BOM & interesting to see that flight from MUC is on schedule but flight from FRA is cancelled.

What decides which flight gets cancelled and which does not? Is that based on availability of standby crew?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:12 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by Redhat72
Was just checking arrivals at BOM & interesting to see that flight from MUC is on schedule but flight from FRA is cancelled.

What decides which flight gets cancelled and which does not? Is that based on availability of standby crew?
There was a report in yesterday's Tagesthemen (ARD TV) about the LH strike and part of that was to show how LH handles the strike internally. They featured ops and the ops manager said that they're going to operate a flight BOM -> Germany, because India only grants shore passes for crew members for 48 hrs. Hence, they have to get the crew out of BOM in order not to violate the regulations and I think that they prefer to do it this way rather than have the plane sit in BOM w/out crew and then have to fly in a crew from Germany to pick up the plane once ops resume. Very interesting report...
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:16 am

Now extended through Saturday 26 nov

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.