Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots go on strike! Not again... [Nov 2016 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:31 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
As a lot of pilots are off for the weekend....Monday will be intetesting!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:56 am

My wife's flight was cancelled. She had flight from ORD to MUC today on UA and second leg from MUC on LH tomorrow. United representatives vere more than useless. Even though I saw couple options onnline (on Lot, TK and Austrian) they said that can not do anything and refunded fare...but who is going to refund missing wedding and time and money for preparation.
Lufthansa...no more. Ever.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Tedimed
My wife's flight was cancelled. She had flight from ORD to MUC today on UA and second leg from MUC on LH tomorrow. United representatives vere more than useless. Even though I saw couple options onnline (on Lot, TK and Austrian) they said that can not do anything and refunded fare...but who is going to refund missing wedding and time and money for preparation.
Lufthansa...no more. Ever.
Was this award or paid? If paid, they should be able to reroute you. If award, then they cannot force availability on other carriers if there isn't any.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:19 pm

Paid ticket...3 different reps gave me 4 different stores why they can't do anything....they are all true, maybe...but lack of willingness to help...that was really bad. Reasons:

1. No availability (definitely not true, I found at least 2 different options in economy...but more expensive than my original fare)
2. We need 24 hours to confirm flight with carrer other than United
3. Already issued refund
4. Because cancellation is LH fault, United doesn't have obligations to do anything more.

And on a top of everything, when I asked to talk with supervisor, they put me on hold, and after 30 minutes rep just hung up.

Last edited by Tedimed; Nov 23, 2016 at 1:24 pm
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 2:02 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by cyborg
Well, that theory seemed to hold right up until about 9 hrs prior to departure when I discovered they canceled 419. No notice was given by phone or email nor re-booking offered on the website. I found out by checking LH website flight status which showed canceled, then viewed the booking which showed everything fine, then visited the check-in section where I got the cancel message with instructions to go to the airport - yeah right. Fortunately I had OS ticket stock. Originally booked OS outbound, but they removed the connecting flight to Rome a couple of months ago and changed the flights to LH. I called the OS call center and they rebooked me on AF and I was able to OLCI w/AF select seats and print BP -all in about 5 minutes. Whew..

I'm in the IAF AF Lounge having some decent champagne and now have a solo lie flat instead of an LH double. Not a bad outcome considering the situation.

I don't have any status with AF, so used an old Delta FF number (0 miles in the account) for the flight credit. Does anyone know if it is possible to get MP credit after completing the flight or is that too complicated given the OS/LH/AF mixture?

V/r,

-Cyborg
what fare class were you rebooked in? award ticket? You can ask MP to give you credit for 'trip in vain' if you were on a revenue ticket. Some have even double dipped, asking for 'trip in vain' on original carrier, and getting miles with the carrier they actually flew.

As Oliver mentioned above, a friend was moved from a award ticket on LH to a revenue class on Air India. Try all options.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 2:02 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Just when I thought that 2017 would be a good year to come back to Lufthansa this starts up again. Just arrived back in YYZ from MUC using BA and landed to see the LH 744 parked at the old infield terminal for the next few days I guess now. I like using Lufthansa and had 2 really nice short flights using them MUC-BUD this week but now I realize why I gave up on SEN in 2014 when this stuff first started iirc.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Who thought I would ever book AF over LH because of strikes?!

The World is indeed a strange place...
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
As a lot of pilots are off for the weekend....Monday will be intetesting!
I'm flying this weekend. I hope the pilots do not extend the strike further. But considering the backlog, what repercussion this can have on upcoming scheduled flights?

Will they re-book me on a different airline if I call them in advance? (In anticipation that the strike may get extended till Monday)
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Redhat72
I'm flying this weekend. I hope the pilots do not extend the strike further. But considering the backlog, what repercussion this can have on upcoming scheduled flights?

Will they re-book me on a different airline if I call them in advance? (In anticipation that the strike may get extended till Monday)
they won't rebook you unless the union announces a strike. you also have first 'dibs' on your flight. You can't be unseated from your flight because someone needed that seat from a flight that was previously cancelled. However if you're flexible, there may be some VDB (Volutarily Deboard) opportunities where they'll compensate you for changing flights if they're over booked etc
Old Nov 24, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: TK*S
Good luck to those affected by the strike! With Thanksgiving in the US, the timing is quite unfortunate.

The strikes are the reasons I stopped flying LH, after barely missing 3 strikes and going all-in through the one from last November. I was flying alone for business and was pretty miserable then I saw families with small kids and realized I was getting off easy.

From my experience:
1. LH won't rebook you on a different flight unless the strike is announced for that day ( (CET timezone). This means paying close attention to the end of the day for any news.

2. If you manage to get to the call-center (very tricky) ask for a backing reservation for a different airline even if your flight hasn't been officially cancelled. That is, the operator makes a booking on a different metal that gets confirmed if the current flight is cancelled.
This saved me last year as my LH FRA-LHR got officially cancelled while I was on-route to FRA and the booking for BA kicked-in.

3. If you can afford it/are in a rush/find a reasonable priced flight on a different airline (unlikely but still) get the ticket. It's extra money for sure but in case of a strike, you can get to your destination. There's a high-risk LH won't reimburse you but again, this is about you not them.

Safe travels!
Old Nov 24, 2016, 2:55 am

Sat on SK2534 at BHX and was quite amazed to see a LH's 321 landing earlier on!

G
Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: *G
now you can see the status for tomorrow on LH.com
Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Any news/guesses regarding whether the strike will continue on Saturday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.