Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots go on strike! Not again... [Nov 2016 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:25 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by whereiswaldo
Question for the experts: I am booked on two LH flights on 24 November from xxx - FRA - LAX. Now also announced as strike day.

Tickets are on 016 stock paid with miles in business class. Will LH treat this as a business class ticket in an irrop situation (and rebook in business class), or simply state "no mileage seats available, good luck, see you next week"?
LH may rebook you but ask you to contact UA to reissue the ticket. Your best bet is to call United now and ask to be reaccomodated. They will help you as the waiver with United clearly says to ignore the price difference.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:28 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by TomMM
I see that this evening's(11/22) LH465 MCO-FRA has been cancelled while the inbound flight arrived at MCO. Would it be a good guess to say this cancellation was due to the strike?
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yes, the SOP for US departures is to park the aircraft for a day in the US instead of sending it back.
Both DEN-MUC and DEN-FRA were cancelled for Tuesday's 11/22 departures.
DEN-MUC for Wed 11/23 is still currently on schedule.
DEN-FRA for Thurs 11/24 is still currently on schedule.

MUC-DEN is cancelled for Wednesday 11/23. (FRA-DEN was not planned.)
FRA-DEN is cancelled for Thursday 11/24. (MUC-DEN was not planned.)

MCO-FRA was cancelled for Tues 11/22. (As mentioned above by TomMM.)
FRA-MCO is cancelled for Thurs 11/24. (Never planned for 11/23.)

One of the two JFK-FRA flights was cancelled for Tues 11/22.
JFK-MUC was cancelled for Tues 11/22.
FRA-JFK is cancelled for Wed 11/23.
MUC-JFK is cancelled for Wed 11/23.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by whereiswaldo
Question for the experts: I am booked on two LH flights on 24 November from xxx - FRA - LAX. Now also announced as strike day.

Tickets are on 016 stock paid with miles in business class. Will LH treat this as a business class ticket in an irrop situation (and rebook in business class), or simply state "no mileage seats available, good luck, see you next week"?
Some long haul flights will still operate. Currently, FRA-LAX is still scheduled for Nov 24. Your xxx-FRA segment might be a problem, though. If so, is there another carrier that also operates on that xxx-FRA route? Or is it close enough to instead get to FRA by car or train?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
What's the story with Cityline and Air Dolomiti? According to the LH website these services are not affected but now both my Air Dolomiti AMS-MUC reservations have been cancelled. Are these aircraft and/or crews being used elsewhere? LH rebooked me on the last KLM seat available today, so in the grand scheme of things I can't really complain but I am curious.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:41 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
What's the story with Cityline and Air Dolomiti? According to the LH website these services are not affected but now both my Air Dolomiti AMS-MUC reservations have been cancelled. Are these aircraft and/or crews being used elsewhere? LH rebooked me on the last KLM seat available today, so in the grand scheme of things I can't really complain but I am curious.
Your guess may be correct. See post #20.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: AA Exp
Does anyone have a magic 8 ball?

My flights tomorrow from IST - FRA and FRA to BOM are not yet cancelled. Does anyone have any idea whether I should now assume that my flights will indeed operate (possibly based on experience with earlier strikes?)?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by vantage03
Can't help with staff fare however I'm flying on the LX40 ZRH-LAX tomorrow (23rd) and noticed there is still a lot of space available in C and Y, try to get LH to move you to that flight.
I was on a UA award (X far), but my girlfriend was on a staff confirmed fare (X1). We did in fact manage to get rebooked on LX40 via ZRH -- so that was indeed great advice. With LH's phone lines jammed and web site throwing an error (and no clear way to rebook my girlfriend's X1) we threw a hail-mary and went *yesterday* (before the strike day) to the airport to see if LH's 1st class ticket counter could help us. They were awesome -- rebooked me and as a courtesy helped keep my girlfriend traveling with me.

So, vantage03, see ya on LX40 in a few hours! That is, if our tight (35 min) connection in ZRH works out
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gnargel

My flights tomorrow from IST - FRA and FRA to BOM are not yet cancelled. Does anyone have any idea whether I should now assume that my flights will indeed operate (possibly based on experience with earlier strikes?)?
My 11/23 12:10 AMS-MUC was cancelled yesterday afternoon, 23 hours in advance.
My 11/23 08:50 AMS-MUC was cancelled this morning at 02:35, only 6:15 hours in advance.

Truth is, you cannot know. Lufthansa will be trying to optimally use the few crews they have available to fly what aircraft they have that aren't stuck somewhere else. Obviously the idea behind such short notice actions from VC.

Up to now, I have had understanding for the pilots. If Lufthansa treats them as badly as they treat their customers, I can understand how animosity could grow over time. However, these actions this week demonstrate a disregard for the passengers by the pilots themselves. That is not only bad for Lufthansa but also themselves.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:15 am

Does LH offer accommodation or vouchers if a passenger is stranded in transit & if no alternate arrangement can be made on another flight?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:16 am

I am due to fly FRA-VCE on Lufthansa on Sun 27 Nov. I know this is the million dollar question, but what are the chances of the strike continuing till then?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by vade
I am due to fly FRA-VCE on Lufthansa on Sun 27 Nov. I know this is the million dollar question, but what are the chances of the strike continuing till then?
These kind of strikes happen much more frequently on weekdays than weekends..
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Redhat72
Does LH offer accommodation or vouchers if a passenger is stranded in transit & if no alternate arrangement can be made on another flight?
EU regulation EC261/2004 requires them to do so. If they dump you and disappear, which sometimes happens, sort yourself out and claim it back. Keep expensss reasonable and you should get the money back in the end.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
EU regulation EC261/2004 requires them to do so. If they dump you and disappear, which sometimes happens, sort yourself out and claim it back. Keep expensss reasonable and you should get the money back in the end.
EC261 doesn't apply in the cases related to strikes.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by gnargel

I can answer my own question. Both flights cancelled.

Have not been able to get in touch with Lufthansa, line keeps disconnecting. An utter disgrace considering I am paying EUR 0.15 per minute (skype calling to the US does not work either...)
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
I'm due to fly in ~12hrs from SJC to BLR via FRA. Got notified sometime back that FRA-BLR has been cancelled, but SJC-FRA is still scheduled to fly. Spoke to TA who advised me to call in few hours as they have not got any updated information. Thinking of waiting before heading to airport. I don't want to get stranded in FRA on a busy holiday travel period and I cannot even go out of the airport because of visa issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.