Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots go on strike! Not again... [Nov 2016 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BENLEE
No, because my flight is from Singapore to London arriving in the evening around 8PM on 27th Nov.
One ticket or two?

Are you arriving on SQ, BA, or some other airline?

You might try to get the whole thing rebooked if you don't need to be in London before Germany. Try to fly into some hub where you can get to your destination by train or at least an airport that has a good flight for you that isn't LH.

Personally, I can't imagine arriving into LHR in the evening from SIN, going to a hotel for a few hours, taking a very early Eurostar followed by train connections (even ICE) for at least five and a half hours, and then having a day of business meetings (despite one being cancelled).

Plus, IME Belgian trains aren't always on schedule, so I'd hate to really count on a train being exactly on time when it really matters, but others here are likely to have recent extensive experience with trains through Belgium.

Aren't there late night or even overnight Eurostar trains?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
This looks bad! The alternative will be British airways. However, my Lufthansa ticket ( already issued and paid ) is non-flexible ticket and if I booked another airline and Lufthansa still fly, will I be charged a non-show fee? I supposed if Lufthansa end up flying, then I will not be allowed to cancel and refund. But if I wait, British airways seats might be fully booked by then. Already flights are filling up. Arrgh...

Alternative will be to take a train from London to Frankfurt. Apparently, when I google, it is possible with Eurostar but I have never done that.
I'm on LH901 and this is what my travel agent emailed me earlier this afternoon:

At the moment LH is re-protecting clients automatically on different LX, OS and BA flights. They will try a later LH option. You should get a txt or email from LH with the revised flights.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:40 am

Supposed to fly on 27th BOM-FRA-DEN. I think the strike will get extended into Sunday and my flight will be cancelled. So trying to postpone my travel by few days to fly out on Wednesday. Since my ticket is issued by United, wondering whether I should request them to instead book me on UA or LX. Or do I have to fly LH?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One ticket or two?

Are you arriving on SQ, BA, or some other airline?

You might try to get the whole thing rebooked if you don't need to be in London before Germany. Try to fly into some hub where you can get to your destination by train or at least an airport that has a good flight for you that isn't LH.

Personally, I can't imagine arriving into LHR in the evening from SIN, going to a hotel for a few hours, taking a very early Eurostar followed by train connections (even ICE) for at least five and a half hours, and then having a day of business meetings (despite one being cancelled).

Plus, IME Belgian trains aren't always on schedule, so I'd hate to really count on a train being exactly on time when it really matters, but others here are likely to have recent extensive experience with trains through Belgium.

Aren't there late night or even overnight Eurostar trains?

Arriving into LHR by SQ. It's redemption booking so very hard to rebook or re-route. Yeah, train doesn't sound like a good idea.... true.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm on LH901 and this is what my travel agent emailed me earlier this afternoon:

At the moment LH is re-protecting clients automatically on different LX, OS and BA flights. They will try a later LH option. You should get a txt or email from LH with the revised flights.
I am taking the first flight out from LHR -> Frankfurt. LH921

Sorry, what does it mean? That Lufthansa is now re-booking all the flights to other airlines including those on Monday?

I have been reading this thread, Lufthansa's twitter account and also the flight status on their website. Seems all the airline does is give more BS and uncertainty. It's my first time booking Lufthansa. Will never book Lufthansa again.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:03 am

Arriving into LHR by SQ. It's redemption booking so very hard to rebook or re-route. Yeah, train doesn't sound like a good idea.... true.
I am flying SIN-FRA on SQ on 27 Nov, then scheduled to connect on LH to VCE. Since you need to get to FRA, we should swap our flights haha. I will have a lot more options from LHR to VCE
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 am

Finally ... Lufthansa makes offer to pilots to end walkout

Lufthansa has offered to increase wages by 4.4 percent in two installments, including a 2.4 percent pay rise for 2016 and a further 2.0 percent increase in 2017, plus a one-off payment equal to 1.8 months' pay.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-lu...KBN13K1TF?il=0
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm guessing that LH is doing the protection/rebookings on a rolling basis, so they might not have touched flights for Monday yet. In principle, they reserve you a seat on a flight on some other carrier to the extent that space is available. Then, if your LH flight is cancelled, you can take the flight on the other carrier without paying anything extra, but if your LH flight goes, you would normally expect to take the LH flight that's on your ticket.

With so many flights being cancelled due to the strike, the replacement flight that they find for you might be much later. LH is probably giving priority in this process to their elites, *A elites, and those with expensive fare classes, including business class. Those without status flying on cheap tickets get the leftover availability in practice, but sometimes proactively calling can make a difference.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm guessing that LH is doing the protection/rebookings on a rolling basis, so they might not have touched flights for Monday yet. In principle, they reserve you a seat on a flight on some other carrier to the extent that space is available. Then, if your LH flight is cancelled, you can take the flight on the other carrier without paying anything extra, but if your LH flight goes, you would normally expect to take the LH flight that's on your ticket.

With so many flights being cancelled due to the strike, the replacement flight that they find for you might be much later. LH is probably giving priority in this process to their elites, *A elites, and those with expensive fare classes, including business class. Those without status flying on cheap tickets get the leftover availability in practice, but sometimes proactively calling can make a difference.
I had enough. I have just booked British airways.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:54 am

I was scheduled on tomorrow's LH471 (YYZ-FRA), but today's flight is cancelled. I'm not taking any risks - rebooked on AC872 - also a direct flight.

I think I have bad luck - I've been affected by LH action/threat to action before in the past.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Toddcan
I was scheduled on tomorrow's LH471 (YYZ-FRA), but today's flight is cancelled. I'm not taking any risks - rebooked on AC872 - also a direct flight.

I think I have bad luck - I've been affected by LH action/threat to action before in the past.
More than 300,000 passengers have the same bad luck including a first for me. And they don't even bother to answer phones ( have tried for the last 6 hours with no luck ). What a horrible airline.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Toddcan

Hmmm.. they wont let me cancel the LH flight because they have not (yet?) cancelled it themselves. Tomorrow morning should be fun... If that flights ends up being cancelled, I will be scrambling with 300+ other people to find other seats.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:00 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
It looks like there will be no strike on Sunday 27th but there may be disruptions since some planes are in a wrong place.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Redhat72
Finally ... Lufthansa makes offer to pilots to end walkout

Lufthansa has offered to increase wages by 4.4 percent in two installments, including a 2.4 percent pay rise for 2016 and a further 2.0 percent increase in 2017, plus a one-off payment equal to 1.8 months' pay.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-lu...KBN13K1TF?il=0
And the union rejected the offer.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-lu...-idUSKBN13K2A8
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It looks like there will be no strike on Sunday 27th but there may be disruptions since some planes are in a wrong place.
A single no-strike day will almost do more damage than a 5th strike day.. LH doesn't know if Monday will be more strikes (should we send all the birds and crews out?) and whatever they need to do. Basically, till this strike is settled (and the next round with Eurowings starts), bookings will suffer massively anyway, as no one sane will book travel with LH for the upcoming weeks or even months right now..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.