Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding first flight by SN, due to lack of visa for connecting flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding first flight by SN, due to lack of visa for connecting flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
If he opted for the Finland option (to where he didnt even have to Finland to), he would have been in a position to get that visa.
Russia sometimes denies visa, but thats largely out of political considerations or because of formal mistakes. They most likely wont hit ordinary people.
But, in the case of the OP, Russia is not "a third country into which they are certain to be admitted"; I also find it doubtful that the OP was demonstrably "in a position to acquire such means lawfully".

I already posted, upthread, the additional documentation that can be demanded of US citizens when applying for a Russian visa. It is unlikely that the OP would have been able to furnish property deeds, etc, if requested. And I have posted upthread the advice from the US Embassy in Moscow stating that US citizens applying for Russian visas in third countries, where their right to stay is less than 3 months (which includes Finland/Schengen), may experience delays.

In any event, none of this translates to an alternative "travel document". There is no getting away from the fact that the OP needs a Russian visa. There is no alternative document that will obviate the need for a Russian visa, and the arguments advanced here do not make it look as if obtaining one would be straightforward.

Perhaps if the OP had been able to provide proof of evidence that he was arriving in Europe to obtain his Russian passport having completed the formalities for naturalisation (!!!) then yes.

Originally Posted by US Embassy, Moscow

Entry Visas: To enter Russia for any purpose, a U.S. citizen must possess a valid U.S. passport and a bona fide visa issued by a Russian Embassy or Consulate. It is impossible to obtain an entry visa upon arrival, so travelers must apply for their visas well in advance. U.S. citizens who apply for Russian visas in third countries where they do not have permission to stay more than 90 days may face considerable delays in visa processing.

However, in light of the US Embassy note, it could even be that the OP's visa application - even if made in Helsinki - would taken longer than the 3 months during which he would be allowed to stay in Schengen. Helsinki most likely does not have an exemption allowing it to treat US applicants any differently than they would be in any other station.

Originally Posted by warakorn
Of course you can say that it is not guaranteed 100 per cent that he gets the visa. Point taken!
However, what is 100 per cent?
A lot of countries issue visa on arrival entry documents. Of course, no one can be 100 per cent sure to be able to receive that visa. Some weird stuff can always happen.
Russia does not have a visa-on-arrival facility for US citizens arriving by air.

Russia, instead, has a very strict requirement that all such visas are in place before travelling there.

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 23, 2015 at 2:12 am
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:11 am

One thing that I'd like to mention:

I know of several people who had to get to China on short notice but lacked a visa at the moment and couldn't use the rush service in their country (and TWOV wasn't a possibility) - they booked flights as following Europe-HKG-China, with a relatively short layover in HKG (1-2 days, just enough, sometimes even <24hrs) where they acquired the Visa with ease.

Technically, the airlines they used shouldn't have let them boarding the flight to HKG _if_ we assume that SN somehow was in the right here. Well, needless to say, none of them had any problem whatsoever to board their flight to HKG.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

I know of several people who had to get to China on short notice but lacked a visa at the moment and couldn't use the rush service in their country (and TWOV wasn't a possibility) - they booked flights as following Europe-HKG-China, with a relatively short layover in HKG (1-2 days, just enough, sometimes even <24hrs) where they acquired the Visa with ease.

Technically, the airlines they used shouldn't have let them boarding the flight to HKG _if_ we assume that SN somehow was in the right here. Well, needless to say, none of them had any problem whatsoever to board their flight to HKG.
The difference is probably that the OP started in the US and that some US airlines' employees are full of paranoia. I made more the once the experience that in the US there is a tendency to work strictly to the book whereas in Europe the approach is more flexible
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

Surely, someone being allowed to fly to Hong Kong without a Chinese visa can't be taken as a precedent for a different person flying to Belgium without a Russian visa.

The OP hasn't been back here and isn't telling us anything about the denied boarding process, the questions he was asked and a case he was able to make.

Even if the OP would most likely not have any problems at BRU, SN could justify denying him if he wasn't able to prove the ability to leave the Schengen area to a third country where they were certain to be admitted.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Originally Posted by Myyra
Even if the OP would most likely not have any problems at BRU, SN could justify denying him if he wasn't able to prove the ability to leave the Schengen area to a third country where they were certain to be admitted.
How would they NOT be able to proof that with an US passport?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The difference is probably that the OP started in the US and that some US airlines' employees are full of paranoia. I made more the once the experience that in the US there is a tendency to work strictly to the book whereas in Europe the approach is more flexible
Because the penalties when interfering with "the law" or agencies are much higher in the States. On the other hand shafting passengers is still perfectly acceptable unless the latter belong to a protected group. So it comes at no surprise that the agent would choose that route.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:09 pm

Surely, someone being allowed to fly to Hong Kong without a Chinese visa can't be taken as a precedent for a different person flying to Belgium without a Russian visa...
I am quite convinced - despite lacking hard statistics - that there are numerous US passport holders who fly to Belgium without having a Russian visa ...
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
How would they NOT be able to proof that with an US passport?
None of us knows if the OP tried or if the check-in agent gave him the opportunity. It's been an interesting thread, but we're just speculating at this point.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by weero
I am quite convinced - despite lacking hard statistics - that there are numerous US passport holders who fly to Belgium without having a Russian visa ...
With an onward ticket to Russia? Way to take things out of context.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Watch the source, myyra, watch the source.

The whole situation is rather easy, if you do not present all necessary docs, you will not be allowed to board an aircraft..., simply because you are one phone call away from changing your ticket...

I do not acuse the OP of trying to get into a country without the necessary docs. , but those tricks are pretty common in the industry...
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:32 pm

That's not what you said.

Do a better job in quote-mining yourself next time !
Originally Posted by FD1971
..if you do not present all necessary docs, you will not be allowed to board an aircraft <snip> I do not acuse the OP of trying to get into a country without the necessary docs...
I am not guilty of what I was just guilty of ... reminds of the brilliant way to insult people in Australia by using the worst imaginable invective preceded by "no offence mate but ...".

Or to use the words of the immortal Scott Adams "I con and insult hence I am a consultant".
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by weero
That's not what you said.

Do a better job in quote-mining yourself next time !
Please re-read the post from YuropFlyer I quoted.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:02 pm

Please re-read the post from YuropFlyer I quoted.
I did not quote him, I quoted you in full.

But linguistics aside: what the OP of this thread did is certainly less ambitious than buying a tix to the PRC with a layover in HKG as there are really very few options to travel onward from HKG without either returning or entering mainland.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by FD1971
The whole situation is rather easy, if you do not present all necessary docs, you will not be allowed to board an aircraft...,
He did have all necessary docs to enter Belgium (because a US passport is all that's necessary). There was no reason not to check him in for that leg. His later travel plans to Russia are irrelevant here - because he (apparently) didn't insist on checking in all way to St. Petersburg.

Also consider a hypothetical scenario where he would have a 4-month stopover in Belgium before continuing on to Russia. You cannot apply for a Russian visa more than 90 days in advance, so in this scenario, there would be no way for him at all to have "all necessary docs" during the check-in.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
He did have all necessary docs to enter Belgium (because a US passport is all that's necessary). There was no reason not to check him in for that leg. His later travel plans to Russia are irrelevant here - because he (apparently) didn't insist on checking in all way to St. Petersburg.

Also consider a hypothetical scenario where he would have a 4-month stopover in Belgium before continuing on to Russia. You cannot apply for a Russian visa more than 90 days in advance, so in this scenario, there would be no way for him at all to have "all necessary docs" during the check-in.
Your hypothatical scenario would probably have disqualified him because he would have required a visa for a four month stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.