Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding first flight by SN, due to lack of visa for connecting flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding first flight by SN, due to lack of visa for connecting flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:28 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by docbert
The travelers next destination is Russia. He did not hold the documents required to enter Russia, and thus based on the text above did not hold the documents required to enter Belgium either.
I think the point is that with a 3 month layover it's impossible to know his next destination. If the second flight had been on a different ticket, nobody would have bothered him either. I side with "misuse of TIMATIC" and if the check-in agent is not to blame, the airline is for setting up stupid procedures.

HTB.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by htb
I think the point is that with a 3 month layover it's impossible to know his next destination. If the second flight had been on a different ticket, nobody would have bothered him either. I side with "misuse of TIMATIC" and if the check-in agent is not to blame, the airline is for setting up stupid procedures.

HTB.
The OP had a one month stay. If the OP had a separate ticket to Russia they would have satisfied the requirements because they had a return ticket to the point of origin.

I agree it was correct application of the rules. The passenger did not have a return ticket, or valid travel plans out of Belgium.

In essence, with the tag to Russia with no visa, this would have been no different to the OP arriving on a one way ticket.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The OP had a one month stay. If the OP had a separate ticket to Russia they would have satisfied the requirements because they had a return ticket to the point of origin.

I agree it was correct application of the rules. The passenger did not have a return ticket, or valid travel plans out of Belgium.

In essence, with the tag to Russia with no visa, this would have been no different to the OP arriving on a one way ticket.
Rereading timatic I agree.

OP could have bought a one way train ticket from any station in Belgium to Holland or France on-line for next to nothing and have satisfied the requirement on the spot.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by erik123

OP could have bought a one way train ticket from any station in Belgium to Holland or France on-line for next to nothing and have satisfied the requirement on the spot.
The capability of the OP to do so does actually demonstrate that his travel documents were in order.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Originally Posted by erik123

France or the Netherlands wouldn't be eligible, as they're part of the Schengen area. The requirement is to have proof of being able to travel to a "third country" meaning in this context a non-Schengen country. Train to the UK would work, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.