Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:01 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But that's not how it's expected to work in terms of upgrading cabin-class.

Lowest fare "commodity" travellers will stay where they are: high-Y fares are the ones likely to find Y+ tickets more attractive (one attraction being the cabin is NOT Business, and therefore within corporate travel policies).

If "rare bird" high-Ys move up, they'll free up more Y seats for those from the infinite masses seeking travel at lower fares.
[...]
The opposite signs are attached to migration down to Y+ from C. And here vacated C seats don't have infinite numbers waiting to fill those vacated.

It's not as simple as it looks .
An agree and a tiny amendment: The Y+ class is allocated in the former square area of Y class thus reducing the sum of Y and Y+ seats altogether.

Therefore the upgrading in comfort of Y+ is accompanied by a loss in overall capacity. That said Lufty can slash some super saver fares.

But it's not as simple as it looks
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lufthansa Offers Cots as Pilots Strike Looms

Even the CEO may want to cringe at this headline of the Wall Street Journal today and perhaps think about a touch more of a PR response from management:

Lufthansa Offers Cots as Pilots Strike Looms

http://online.wsj.com/articles/lufth...oms-1409924988

Perhaps also it would be nice to hear from Management rather than a board member?

"The timing in particular is unacceptable," said Lufthansa board member Kay Kratky of the Friday evening strikes, which will hit commuters, holiday and business travelers.

Generally CEOs don't get involved in PR- in a case like this it would seem though as if damage control really needs to be accelerated.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:13 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Generally CEOs don't get involved in PR- in a case like this it would seem though as if damage control really needs to be accelerated.
It seems that the issue is quite serious this time and starting to hurt LH revenues badly.

I feel sorry for these guys at LH top management. Every time they think that they fixed all LH problems then something comes up out of the blue that adds more burden to their existing problems and making it harder and harder to go back on track to compete against the ME3
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I feel sorry for these guys at LH top management. Every time they think that they fixed all LH problems then something comes up out of the blue that adds more burden to their existing problems and making it harder and harder to go back on track to compete against the ME3
You'd think by now they could anticipate the unions throwing a fit with every new outsourcing attempt LH managament makes...
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:41 am

I feel sorry for these guys at LH top management. Every time they think that they fixed all LH problems

"Think" is the key word there.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
It seems that the issue is quite serious this time and starting to hurt LH revenues badly.
Indeed. Perhaps a good time for a moment of reflection on the current strategic path and whether a change is appropriate. @:-)

Yes, horrible "out of the blue" problems:
--competition (we have never seen that before in the airline business...)
--labor relations (hard to imagine that workers get a bad attitude when their pay and benefits are cut, and their colleagues are made redundant )
--adverse cost base (centering operations in one of the most expensive places on the planet where the government does its best to penalize you for running your business, and then penalizes you more for trying to make a profit)

So what does LH do?
--1.) Try to cut costs in a structure that makes cost cutting almost impossible. This is not to say cost don't need to be managed, but LH operates from an inherently expensive place and needs to either accept that and adjust their strategy accordingly or start moving to other places.
--2.) antagonize their workforce in a sad attempt at 1.).
A smart, highly trained and highly productive workforce is one of the few real competitive advantages LH has, and they seem to be doing their best to dismantle that advantage.
--3.) whine about competition cutting prices "irrationally" and "unfair government subsidies, while ignoring their own gutting of their product value proposition (along several traditional marketing lines: product, pricing, positioning, and promotion). Instead of calling out more publicly and directly their own politicians who are making life for LH difficult, they are complaining about governments who are making life easy for their competition. Seems to me like the logic is a bit backwards.

So given their core challenges, LH seem to be responding by emphasizing their weaknesses and diluting their strengths. Brilliant plan! Good luck with that...

Originally Posted by Lack
You'd think by now they could anticipate the unions throwing a fit with every new outsourcing attempt LH managament makes...
Yes, you'd think, but we are after all talking about the LH Vorstand.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Ch-aviation with a piece with a funky title: "Austrian to be reborn as a budget long haul carrier?"

Austrian Airlines (OS, Vienna) could be repositioned as a budget carrier under the name "Austrian Wings" as one of the various options CEO Jaan Albrecht is considering in order to make EUR200million (USD259.5million) in critical cost cuts.

Austrian newspaper, Die Presse, reports Austrian's existing fleet of six B767-300s would fit into Lufthansa's plans to develop a long haul budget carrier based on the Lufthansa (LH, Frankfurt Int'l) and Turkish Airlines (TK, Istanbul Atatürk) joint-venture carrier, Sun Express (XQ, Antalya). Sun Express CEO, Paul Schwaiger, also sits on Austrian's board of directors.

Among other cost-cutting measures under consideration is the removal of Austrian's B767 fleet in addition to its ageing Fokker Aircraft (Woensdrecht) fleet of fifteen Fokker 100s and six Fokker 70s. The move would also see 300 flight crew dismissed leaving only a very lean version of Austrian. The report claims Lufthansa would only consider this option if a new collective wage agreement between Austrian management and staff cannot be agreed to.

A board room meeting is due to be held later this week to consider the airline's operational future within the confines of the Lufthansa Group given the lack of agreement between management and unions over the forced move of all pilots and flight attendants from Austrian Airlines to Tyrolean Airways (VO, Innsbruck) two years ago.

Should the European Court of Justice follow the Austrian courts in ruling the move be reversed, Austrian would once more be burdened with an increased cost structure.
an in other news LH group Aug results should be published tomorrow.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: some
Saw an announcement today on linked-in that LH consulting plans to offer its services in the future also no non-tourism clients. Wondering what success stories they will use to pitch and what capabilities they claim to have.

Joking aside - has anybody ever heared of LH consulting?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
More trouble in Vienna:
http://diepresse.com/home/wirtschaft...llektivvertrag
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Interesting. What will this mean for the future of Austrian?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The OS/VO construct will remain, the unions point was that former govt owned companies cannot be restructured like that.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by verve
Joking aside - has anybody ever heared of LH consulting?
I did, when I used to work for an airport corporation. But never worked with them on a project, so can't comment whether the strategies they propose to their external clients are as smart as the advise that LH's management board gets
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ex-koelner
I did, when I used to work for an airport corporation. But never worked with them on a project, so can't comment whether the strategies they propose to their external clients are as smart as the advise that LH's management board gets
A Financial Times article of 08AUGUST which was an interview published with Mr. Spohr under the headline "Lufthansa likely to expand long-haul low-cost ops - CEO in FT" seems to indicate that the advisory firm currently assisting Lufthansa is McKinsey if I understand the story correctly.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:04 am

Swissair, McKinsey, Hunter, Austrian/Brussels

I would sell LH stock if I had some ..
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The OS/VO construct will remain, the unions point was that former govt owned companies cannot be restructured like that.
But the €200m cost saving seem to have evaporated with this ruling?
Worst case is that the former staff cost need to be repaid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.