Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Longhaul Wings from CGN?
Per ch-aviation

Lufthansa (LH, Frankfurt Int'l) is in talks with Flughafen Köln/Bonn GmbH, the operator of Cologne/Bonn airport, concerning the possible use of the airport as a base for its planned new long haul budget subsidiary.

"We are negotiating with Lufthansa on the possible basing of their scheduled long-haul, low-cost subsidiary at Cologne/Bonn Airport," CEO Michael Garvens told Germany's RP Online.

Beginning in autumn next year, Lufthansa intends to use a fleet of either B767s or A330s for its long haul budget carrier to wrestle back market share lost to the likes of Emirates (EK, Dubai Int'l), Etihad Airways (EY, Abu Dhabi Int'l), and Qatar Airways (QR, Doha Hamad Int'l). Initial destinations will likely include the East Coast of the United States, and the Far East.

RP online claims other airports that have been considered include Dusseldorf though talks there have stalled over costly landing fees. Talk with Munich also tapered off after further consideration revealed that alongside high landing fees, various operating restrictions such as slot allocations and a night-time curfew would also impact the budget carrier's operations.
CGN with no night-time curfew would be interesting for flights departing after midnight to Asia minimizing the ground time of the aircraft before the return leg
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I find it very strange that LH wants to wrestle back the ME3 with a low cost subsidiary instead of their mainline fleet

Aren't they suppose to compete with the ME3 apple to apple?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I find it very strange that LH wants to wrestle back the ME3 with a low cost subsidiary instead of their mainline fleet

Aren't they suppose to compete with the ME3 apple to apple?
I find the entire situation somewhat confusing.

I thought it was the business class customer that was defecting over to ME3?

In any case I don't know how it is possible to make money with <500 EUR RT tickets to Asia and a German cost base.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:50 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG

In any case I don't know how it is possible to make money with <500 EUR RT tickets to Asia and a German cost base.
Noone knows how do make money with such fares even if you have a view on the slightly increased seat density.

The lack of edible food is not a real cost saver on long-haul routes, neither the overpriced sale of beverages is.

*View into the crystal ball*

Therefore I assume this low-cost carrier product will have a lifecycle of less than one year and resulting a sudden grounding/stop of operations of this subsidiary.

The remaining and booked passengers then will be rebooked to a proper mainline service.
[/view]

Main problem on long-haul in Economy Class is not capacity utilization but decrease of fares.

That said the creation of a new entity including a large capacity is contradicting the Premium Economy/value approach.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I thought it was the business class customer that was defecting over to ME3?
According to various statements by EK, the Y pax flying to SEA and OZ from Europe is what brings in the revenue for them, accounting for 80% of their profits. The F cabin makes a loss, and the business cabin is sold at break even.

I guess LHs take is to make it difficult for the ME3 to fill the large B77W and A380 Y cabins and make life tough. Thats assuming that the ME3 operate with the aim to atleast cover variable cost @:-)
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002

I guess LHs take is to make it difficult for the ME3 to fill the large B77W and A380 Y cabins and make life tough. Thats assuming that the ME3 operate with the aim to atleast cover variable cost @:-)
EK has been posting very decent profits in most of the recent years (with two years of the last 10 one's being in the red only) despite their massive fleet-build-up. They've not gotten any support of Dubai since the (small) funding credit of $80m 25 years ago. Which was WAY smaller than what Lufthansa got, when they were made a private operated company (they basically got a gigantic fleet for free from the German state in 1994, later acquired the whole Swiss fleet for an absolute bargain, and OS didn't really cost them anything either..)

In contrary, Emirates is now funding the Emirate of Dubai quite substantially.

I guess at least for EK it's safe to assume they've a management which knows exactly what they're doing. I'm not so sure regarding Lufthansa about that
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:45 am
gum

Originally Posted by oliver2002
According to various statements by EK, the Y pax flying to SEA and OZ from Europe is what brings in the revenue for them, accounting for 80% of their profits. The F cabin makes a loss, and the business cabin is sold at break even.
IMHO this is red herring "made" by Emirates.

I would agree that not every route on the Emirates network is able to maintain a true First Class product. Therefore Emirates has also two-class aircrafts and not the low-density, high comfort layout which Lufthansa provides in its First Class environment.

I even wouldn't dare to denominate 14 seats in Zone A of the Upper Deck of the whale as being First Class when Lufty only has 8 seats there.

So I am convinced that Emirates now:

+ makes a huge amount of cash-flow through its Business Class product (as long as it's not 1-2-1 like SQ)
+ is nearly on break even on Y fares. The additional effect for the founders and majority shareholders is to schlep many tourists to Dubai for a short or longer stay. Thus providing a solid revenue stream for the local tourist industry and establishing a real estate market which was unknown/unimaginable 15+ years ago.
+ I wonder whether true First Class customers really accept the marketing of a comparatively squeezed J+ product as First Class "suite". Don't know if they have profits there.

Will come to an end when the next global economic turndown will cast the shadows......
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: M&M SEN
Lufthansa-agrees-cabin-crew-no-frills-service

I haven't seen this one posted here, sorry if I overlooked it:

Lufthansa has found agreement with UFO to cut costs on A340 and thus keep them in fleet in high-density lay out (18C only, rest Y):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reu...s-service.html

David
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by gum

I even wouldn't dare to denominate 14 seats in Zone A of the Upper Deck of the whale as being First Class when Lufty only has 8 seats there.

+ I wonder whether true First Class customers really accept the marketing of a comparatively squeezed J+ product as First Class "suite". Don't know if they have profits there.
That's like comparing apples and oranges..

First of all, the 14 Suites (!) that EK offers in their A380 are a trully great experience. Just as much as the 8 seats in the LH A380, I would say, but certainly nothing short of it.

I guess you've not flown them yourself, just compare Seatguru:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emi...irbus_A380.php

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Luf...irbus_A380.php

As you can see, Lufthansa squeezes in plenty of other stuff before the exit besides it's 8 seats.

Emirates has it's seats in a layout that you don't directly see the neighbour over the aisle, which is imho offers much better privacy.

All in all, with Emirates offering a true F experience all the way from home to your final accommodation no matter where you fly on their network (okok, a few destinations don't have chauffeur drive), and LH just on their hubs once you arrived at the airport yourself till you get your baggage, but for about twice the pricetag, I'm sure anyone will choose LH.. in the fantasy world of the LH board

Also, keep in mind that LH doesn't have C or F at all for flights up to 5-6 hours or so - they've NEK with a blocked middle seat selling as C, that's about it. (and still PLENTY of their Y+ seats (Rutsche) selling as C on long haul, including almost their whole A380 fleet..)

Couple other stuff which hasn't been mentioned above:

-Showers in F make for SUCH a more refreshed morning.
-Bar in C is great to socialize and spend time with fellow travellers.
-I prefer the food in EK C over what LH offers, but that's personal opinion. I guess that food offers in EK Y are better than in LH Y isn't a personal opinion but accepted common knowledge
-Good chance of having someone speaking my native language with EK - zero chance on LH for that.
-Op-Ups happening according to Status on EK, and not to booking class bought on LH (ie, non member in J beats HON in C).

I guess the only negative point for EK is indeed that you've to change in DXB, which is bad when you're living nearby FRA and MUC, and your final destination is served directly by LH from there.

Which means, for north asian destination like FRA-PEK (where I would chose CA for a direct flight ) they've an advantage over EK. And obviously even for South East asia destinations - if you don't mind the day flights to BKK for example on LH..

With EK you often get more choices - including a short or longer layover in DXB. Personally I don't mind to break my travel there, especially when in Y, and giving you the choice of individual departing/arriving hours, which you can combine to fight your individual jet lag. Not so much choice with LH..

Now, had the unfair lobbying by LH been stopped, and EK allowed to fly to more German airports directly, the situation would be even better. Why fly TXL-FRA-BKK-HKT, when EK would offer TXL-DXB-HKT?

LH is always babbling about "fair competition", and keeping to try to make people believe that EK is getting unfair advantages, while in reality, the contrary is true. In a truly open market, EK would be at even more advantages than LH. I hope EK to operate MUCH more also from their non-DXB hubs, adding more of those in the future. LH obviously is very much afraid of such things going to happen - I for one, as the customer, hope it will happen.

Last edited by YuropFlyer; Sep 17, 2014 at 7:15 am
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back on the armchair CEO discussion:

It seems today Helvetica (LX Subsidiary) announced they will be buying 15 new generation A320 and Eurowings 10 for a total investment [at list price] of 2.5 bio EURO.

Helvetica- the darling of LX with their Fokkers and Eurowings (I don't know even what they do now for Swiss and Lufthansa?)- buying 25 new airplanes. Looks like their may be some acceleration on the LCC front for Lufthansa group? Or I have somehow missed this press release?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: some
It seems today Helvetica (LX Subsidiary)
Last time I've checked Helvetic was an independent Airline doing some Wetlease work for LX....maybe you mixed them up with Edelweiss (WK) which is actually owned by LX
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by verve
Last time I've checked Helvetic was an independent Airline doing some Wetlease work for LX....maybe you mixed them up with Edelweiss (WK) which is actually owned by LX
Actually, it's Lufthansa buying stuff for LX:

http://www.nzz.ch/wirtschaft/newstic...neo-1.18385568

Seems LX will receive 15 A320neo from 2019 onwards to replace some of it's existing older planes. They've also ordered 10 more A320 (current version) for Eurowings (I guess TRAVELSIG simply mistaken LX with Helvetic, as aside from that, his posting was correct)
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The CFO mentioned that some time ago:
Mr. Oliver Sleath from Barclays London. You may ask your question please.
Oliver Sleath - Barclays Capital[...]And my third question is just around the CapEx guidance. I just wanted to check that CapEx is unchanged versus what you said, I think, a few conference calls ago. I just ask, because I know that Eurowings is planning to take a lot more A320s next year, and I wondered where they would all be sourced from, whether you'd be buying anymore from Airbus brand new? Thank you.

Simone Menne - Chief Officer Finance and Aviation Services[...]

For the CapEx, yes, we -- at the moment we are planning the 2015 and the impact of the new projects so for the A320, at the moment, the thesis is that we get 13 from Munich and Frankfurt, and the 10 we may buy. But that is dependent of our budget planning and discussion with the supervisory board. So the details we are just putting together, and have a look into our CapEx plan. So that will be decided in our supervisory board meeting in September.
Source: http://seekingalpha.com/article/2373...all-transcript
© 2014 Seeking Alpha
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:23 am
gum

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
That's like comparing apples and oranges..

Also, keep in mind that LH doesn't have C or F at all for flights up to 5-6 hours or so - they've NEK with a blocked middle seat selling as C, that's about it.
That is indeed true.

I also see the weakness of the LH product regarding the short-haul destinations and the prolongation of the A321 NEK to destinations like CAI and TLV.

Additionally the wardrobe has been slashed since the days of the 2-3 product and that said the additional value for Business customers on LH short-haul is lower than before.

So the managament should complete the roadworks there and not adding additional complexity by founding a new low cost subsidiary. As stated before that subfleet will cause many problems for Lufthansa itself and not for their competitors.

Besides the cannibalization effect on the own Y offer it will have a tremendous impact on the image of the group. As stated before I *assume* without having other knowledge that they have to go to 2-5-2 seating on the A330 in order to get (in their own view) competitive. A 2-4-2 A330 won't work in respect of cost savings.

What is if your subfleet goes tech? Paying an enourmous amount of delay compensation or forking out the traditional seating including many op-ups when using a LH mainline plane?

The longhaul wings is large enough to cause serious damage at LH but too small to encounter the competition of the ME3.

Last edited by gum; Sep 17, 2014 at 8:31 am
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:45 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Update from today's supervisory board meeting:

http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/pre...icle/3228.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.