Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:14 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
No need to share it, it wasn't meant to be humour.

This statement is for LH or for EK? Or for both? And if it is only for EK, then why not for LH? And if it is only for LH, then why not for EK? Is LH immune to economic cycles?
The new summer timetable of LH only advertises a growth in available seat kilometres of approx. 5 percent compared to the previous year.

Being immune to economic cycles is IMHO a function depending on the type of passengers attracted. How lower the fares are how more people are able to fly and to enjoy the sounds & sights of the World. On the other hand I am convinced that the lower income groups are much more hurt by recession or an economic bump.

That said every mass market strategy may have advantages in case of the economic upcycle but have the adverse impact in a downwards trend.

That are my ideas which are also valid for cars (see the annual reports of the car makers for the mass markets compared to the premium brands).
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by FD1971
..do not match with what the incumbent premium carrier offers most of the time.

Some people actually prefer a Hyundai Genesis to a BMW 5 or even 7 series..
Especially of the Hyundai comes with Maybach lie-flat seats and drives you to Sydney for EUR 1400 while the BMW offers Tata Nano style seats and gobbles 25 litres per 100km.

"Incumbent Premium carrier" for NEK's sake!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by weero
...offers Tata Nano style seats and gobbles 25 litres per 100km.
I have an 18-year-old Honda Transit that sort of fits that description.

Sure, it is a bit rough around the edges, a bit embarrassing to leave with the valet at a nice hotel, and no one likes to ride with me...OTOH, it still runs well, is long since written off, and when we go places with friends, they immediately volunteer to drive.

My wife likes the Ford Kuga or BMW X3, and wants a new car, but I insist we keep the old jalopy a little longer and "save" the costs. It doesn't really bother me that our more marginal friends avoid going out with us these days. I only drive destinations I can't reach with public transportation, and my loyal friends say it really isn't that important that our car is old and tired...what's the problem?

Perhaps I do understand a little bit how the LH management thinks....@:-)

Last edited by N1003U; Mar 27, 2014 at 2:19 am
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by sunseeker
you are missing the point again; for me EK is much closer to "BMW" than LH, who in many aspects are "Mitsubishi" at best and i couldn't care less whether Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, Cinderella or Allah himself make this possible.

so, thanks for feeling sorry for me, but thanks for nothing...
From the eye of a leisure traveler, this is an acceptable answer.

From the eye of a true business traveler, this is clearly another sign that you are not over your Ex, same with sooo many other posters here, who could not get over the fact that Lufty ditched them...

Again, I am sorry.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by gojko88
I still haven't heard why LH is a "premium" carrier compared to the ME3 in anything but name. Quite contrary, the latter are often referred to as "bling" airlines, while LH is still serving me the same Gherkin and Cheddar sandwiches on 350€ intra-EU tickets.

Your Hyundai/BMW analogy would make perfect sense if the price difference was equal to the difference in product quality. It's quite clear, however, that's not the case.

If the LH management really shares the same kind of arrogance about LH's product as you do, then the downfall will be most entertaining to watch.
Again, leisure traveler perspective...

Cheddar sandwiches, that' s actually cute...

I strongly recommend to start focusing on the slightly more important parameters that make an airline a high yield carrier, the network, reliability, safety and not so much a shower cabin onboard the A380 or a cheddar sandwich.

Reminds me a bit of travelsig's Top 10 entry, remember SU ex VCE.

Word on the street, Air Serbia is a negotiations with major cheddar producers from Surrey to upgrade their sandwiches. I spoke to one of their Catering guys and according to some market research, they figured out that they will increase their market share by 659%, if they start offering slightly older cheddar on their sandwiches.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1003U
TRAVELSIG, or are you just cranky because you are stranded in a frozen wasteland while LH is delays your return to civilization...
No need to be cranky- I am going to go out now and put on my "union supporter" jersey for a few walks around the parking lot with -13 temperatures prior to starting my day

The only unfortunate outcome of this current strike is that due to the recent announcement of the pilot strike vote a lot of people here (in USA) seem to have confused the two events which unfairly reflects poorly on Lufthansa. Of course I could say they could have been far more effective in communications and in particular with social media and Flyertalk as examples- however I suppose they must have a communication strategy which I just don't understand.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
however I suppose they must have a communication strategy which I just don't understand.
That makes at least two of us...
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:22 am
gum

Off-topic comment

I have an 18-year-old Honda Transit that sort of fits that description.
[...]
My wife likes the Ford Kuga or BMW X3, and wants a new car, but I insist we keep the old jalopy a little longer and "save" the costs. It doesn't really bother me that our more marginal friends avoid going out with us these days. I only drive destinations I can't reach with public transportation, and my loyal friends say it really isn't that important that our car is old and tired...what's the problem?
This is great. ^

I have never understood why so many people are chasing after a new car after 2-4 years just to have the sky-high depreciation of a new car.

Especially if it's their own and they can't offset these costs with lowering the profit position of a company.

Therefore just want to show my respect for your opinion.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:14 am

I strongly recommend to start focusing on the slightly more important parameters that make an airline a high yield carrier, the network, reliability, safety and not so much a shower cabin onboard the A380 or a cheddar sandwich.
The network - shrinking in destinations and COS
Reliability - more strikes in FRA and LH then most other places , you could think
you are dealing with French farmers . Timeliness - thank god for
HON transfer service !
Safety - Yes , stay away from Garuda and a few others and your fine.
Shower cabin - Definitely not required , but a top notch C cabin would be nice.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by gum

I have never understood why so many people are chasing after a new car after 2-4 years just to have the sky-high depreciation of a new car.
Yes , the world is full of mysteries , try a fat bank account . Or just the joy and pleasure for some to drive a new car
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by seat 1a
Yes , the world is full of mysteries , try a fat bank account . Or just the joy and pleasure for some to drive a new car
^ . While I really do have a very old Honda that uses about 12-13 l/100km when I drive with a heavy foot (and uses quite a bit of oil due to what I suspect are highly worn valve bushings), it is safe to say that my response was rather tongue-in-cheek (ironisch gemeint).
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:36 am

???

From the eye of a true business traveler, this is clearly another sign that you are not over your Ex, same with sooo many other posters here, who could not get over the fact that Lufty ditched them...
Again, I am sorry.

now you lost me completely; i just can not get my head around how you came to this conclusion based on what i wrote:

Quote:
"btw, where does your assumption i am loosing SEN come from ?
whether i like it or not, i am still using LH enough to maintain SEN hands down; currently i am qualified until Feb. 2017 and whether some ignorants would snezze upon my EK status, trust me, that is really of no whatsoever importance to me and if i should ever be happy enough not to fly LH enough to requalify for SEN, my SQ Solitair will still give me *A Gold status anyway. "
Unquote

i am also sorry that sitting in aluminium cans for at least 120 days a year over the last decades is not enough to make me a "real business flyer" according to your high standarts.

anyway, i'm giving up; your "logic" is clearly beyond me...

Last edited by sunseeker; Mar 27, 2014 at 5:56 am
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:05 am

^ . While I really do have a very old Honda that uses about 12-13 l/100km when I drive with a heavy foot (and uses quite a bit of oil due to what I suspect are highly worn valve bushings), it is safe to say that my response was rather tongue-in-cheek (ironisch gemeint).
No doubt , but was gum's
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..I strongly recommend to start focusing on the slightly more important parameters that make an airline a high yield carrier, the network, reliability, safety and not so much a shower cabin onboard the A380 or a cheddar sandwich..
So your escape to the holdout of presumed logical sanity is once more shifting the goalposts? People buy BMWs over Hyundai because they are more reliable, not because they offer more luxury? I am actually not even convinced that BMWs are in fact more reliable much as I am not convinced that LH is more reliable than EK.

They may be a tad more reliable than BA but that's about it.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:51 am
gum

Originally Posted by seat 1a
Thanks for your suggestion. I have had the "joy and pleasure" to drive a new car and the only thing I can say that it will fastly wear off.

After the artificial new car smell is away after some weeks only the depreciation remains.

And therefore my comment was really meant in a honest way. If I would have a *fat* bank account I just would book a holiday in China with at least visiting Shanghai and Xi'an.

Instead of a new car I would book nearly the whole 86th floor of a great hotel in Shanghai and enjoy the views.

Back to the thread: You can make an educated guess which airline, class and type of a/c I would choose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.