Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status STARS [2013-2023]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
I offered an explanation in another thread when the star news came out.

Here is the appointment of the Mktg head.
He gets the ideas from his 2 children
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by GBM.flights

Here is the appointment of the Mktg head.
He seems to have done well for himself: I'm sure he's a lovely chap, and the university of Missouri is a fine place; and I'm certain that Facebook is a wonderful pace to develop marketing skills, but ......
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
That was for me one of the two or three absolutely flabbergasting moments of the evening: the rationalization of the stars.

Logic: LH status credentials sell on eBay (sometimes for a few tens of euros)
--> there are people who place a value on LH status recognition and we should embellish recognition of long-time status members symbolically.

Fallacy in logic: People who earn LH status credentials are not the same people as those who are buying LH status credentials.
--> there were many rolling eyes and snide comments in the room about selling off existing luggage tags.

Not that it has occurred to them, but it is embarrassing to LH that this idea got past the suggestion phase in an internal brainstorming session. That it got to a phase where it was announced publicy makes me want to use weero's stars on Weber and his minion(s) who championed this idiotic idea.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
He seems to have done well for himself: I'm sure he's a lovely chap, and the university of Missouri is a fine place; and I'm certain that Facebook is a wonderful pace to develop marketing skills, but ......
I wonder if he has already completed his Probezeit, and if it is not too late to send him back where he came from..
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by N1003U
That was for me one of the two or three absolutely flabbergasting moments of the evening: the rationalization of the stars.

--> there are people who place a value on LH status recognition and we should embellish recognition of long-time status members symbolically.

Fallacy in logic: People who earn LH status credentials are not the same people as those who are buying LH status credentials.
--> there were many rolling eyes and snide comments in the room about selling off existing luggage tags.

Not that it has occurred to them, but it is embarrassing to LH that this idea got past the suggestion phase in an internal brainstorming session. That it got to a phase where it was announced publicy makes me want to use weero's stars on Weber and his minion(s) who championed this idiotic idea.
I have a feeling that most of the luggage tags sold on ebay were not sold by their respective owners but by the people who nicked them off the luggage belt or during transportation in the depths of the airport luggage systems.

I've had quite a few luggage tags disappear from my bag when it finally arrived on the luggage belt ...

By the way, Mr Koch mentioned "4 star customers". Did we get our maths wrong ? I thought the maximum to date would be 3 stars ?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Just for the record, the University of Missouri is not exactly a great university. U.S. News and World report ranks the MBA program at Missouri #52 in the U.S....
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by econprof
Just for the record, the University of Missouri is not exactly a great university. U.S. News and World report ranks the MBA program at Missouri #52 in the U.S....
YUP. Booth in Chicago, where I got my MBA, is ten times much better
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: LH SEN, Goldpointsplus Gold Elite
Everything that is of no benefit to the customer is waste
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: LH HON, EK Plat, QR Plat, TK EP
Wait, now I really do have a serious question. Was this logic actually presented by someone from LH's management?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by CzeSEN
Wait, now I really do have a serious question. Was this logic actually presented by someone from LH's management?
Yes, Dr. Huber actually stated words to the effect that the fact that FTL/SEN/HON credentials were successfully being sold on eBay shows that there is a market value on the recognition of status, and they wanted to provide some extra recognition...

Anyone have a more direct quote? I wasn't taking notes just then--TRAVELSIG and I were in the process of ordering fresh drinks and being astounded by the comment.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I have a feeling that most of the luggage tags sold on ebay were not sold by their respective owners but by the people who nicked them off the luggage belt or during transportation in the depths of the airport luggage systems.
And on the other side of the table, I have a feeling that most of the luggage tags bought on ebay end up in display cases or closets of airline enthusiasts, rather then someone who wants to actively use it for recognition.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:18 am

Yes, Dr. Huber actually stated words to the effect that the fact that FTL/SEN/HON credentials were successfully being sold on eBay shows that there is a market value on the recognition of status, and they wanted to provide some extra recognition...
I thought you quoted LH in the other thread saying " that the time of FFP and customer recognition has passed " .
They are very consistent and focused in their thinking
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by seat 1a
I thought you quoted LH in the other thread saying " that the time of FFP and customer recognition has passed " .
They are very consistent and focused in their thinking
Yes, it was a recurring theme: "the time of X is passed.." I can imagine the same words being used in employee compensation discussions...(Spohr a couple of allusions to recent difficult talks with pilots, even though he himself is a pilot)...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it was a recurring theme: "the time of X is passed.." I can imagine the same words being used in employee compensation discussions...(Spohr a couple of allusions to recent difficult talks with pilots, even though he himself is a pilot)...
Indeed- there was a recurring theme of the "good old days" which now have gone and have been replaced by the new nasty reality.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by econprof
Bloomberg is even harsher: puts Missouri's Trulaske College of Business at number 56 in last year's US ranking

But let's look on the bright side: it's the cheapest of the low-cost MBA's....

To complete your MBA ......without the burden of significant debt is a liberating and rare phenomenon in today’s world.

... and they put a good spin on it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.