Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumour [confirmed]: Major changes to Miles & More

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:27 am

LH to reduce F classes to select flights only

Suggest we get back to the topic. In today's press release LH annopunces that they will severely cut the number of routes operated in a 3 class configuration. ( they also mull the introduction of a economy plus ).

Few weeks ago they announced that you will only be able to get to HONdom if you fly First or Full Fare Biz.

Does this new anouncement now imply that they will phase out HON almost completely?

a) If your regular city pairs will no longer have F, how can you make your 300k miles ? Does LH really think that you voluntarily pay more for the same C-class seat as your seat neighbour in order to get the HON miles ?

b) If your regular city pairs will be with F class, lowly mortals will no longer in a position to use their vouchers. Inevitably anybody who by accident has to book J fares will try to use his otherwise useless vouchers for upgrade into F.
=> This voucher perk becomes completely useless. Its like selling a season pass for a ski arena in Switzerland and offer a combination with free entry into the skiing hall in Dubai

I think there is more behind the recent "enhancements" than meets the eye. I lost completely trust in LH and M&M management, it becomes clear that their intention is to pull us over the table.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Fendant
Suggest we get back to the topic. In today's press release LH annopunces that they will severely cut the number of routes operated in a 3 class configuration. ( they also mull the introduction of a economy plus ).

Few weeks ago they announced that you will only be able to get to HONdom if you fly First or Full Fare Biz.

Does this new anouncement now imply that they will phase out HON almost completely?

a) If your regular city pairs will no longer have F, how can you make your 300k miles ? Does LH really think that you voluntarily pay more for the same C-class seat as your seat neighbour in order to get the HON miles ?

b) If your regular city pairs will be with F class, lowly mortals will no longer in a position to use their vouchers. Inevitably anybody who by accident has to book J fares will try to use his otherwise useless vouchers for upgrade into F.
=> This voucher perk becomes completely useless. Its like selling a season pass for a ski arena in Switzerland and offer a combination with free entry into the skiing hall in Dubai

I think there is more behind the recent "enhancements" than meets the eye. I lost completely trust in LH and M&M management, it becomes clear that their intention is to pull us over the table.
The only way this makes any sense is to sell F at a very modest premium to C (or aggressively oversell C and do op-ups), and try to stuff their F cabins full. Otherwise, they're going to be flying a lot of empty seats around that nobody can upgrade into or get awards on. If you're not going to allow aspirational awards or loyalty upgrades, then you had better sell what you have.

I think taking F out of part of the fleet fixes some of that, but there has to be more.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The only way this makes any sense is to sell F at a very modest premium to C (or aggressively oversell C and do op-ups), and try to stuff their F cabins full. Otherwise, they're going to be flying a lot of empty seats around that nobody can upgrade into or get awards on. If you're not going to allow aspirational awards or loyalty upgrades, then you had better sell what you have.

I think taking F out of part of the fleet fixes some of that, but there has to be more.
If LH is going to go the route of no F cabin like a lot of other airlines then they might want to re-design that joke of a new C cabin. Something along the lines of LX or NZ biz cabins would be more like it.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Thumbs down M&M Customer Service reply

Hi all,

I just received the reply on my previous mails to M&M regarding the errors on the web page..and the milage accural of Z and P booking classes from 1st Sept. 2012.

I copy the mail bellow:
Agradecemos su e-mail y sus comentarios.

Cuando hace la reserva de sus vuelos en la página de Lufthansa y selecciona la tarifa deseada, al hacer click en la información hay un link "Calculadora de millas" que le lleva a la página de Miles & More al apartado Acumular millas > Vuelos donde se indica que para vuelos con Lufthansa en todo el mundo (Vuelos de / a / entre destinos fuera de Europa) con las clase de reserva E, K, L, T se acumula un mínimo de 500 millas o el 50% de la distancia en millas.

Así mismo, se indica que con la clase Z, en vuelos a partir del 1 de septiembre de 2012 obtendrá un 150% de las millas de distancia o un mínimo de 750 millas. Está por tanto ya informado si compra ahora su billete de las millas que recibirá si la reserva es en la clase indicada.

Lamentamos que se sienta decepcionado con los cambios que va a haber en el programa a partir del 01 de septiembre de 2012. Por supuesto que hemos transferido este malestar y sus comentarios al respecto al departamento correspondiente.

Saludos cordiales,
Su Service Team de Miles & More

www.miles-and-more.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft/Corporate Headquarters:
Deutsche Lufthansa Aktiengesellschaft, Köln
Registereintragung/Registration:
Amtsgericht Köln HR B 2168

The translation is:

They indicate how to check the miles for booking classes.... (as I was new on therir web page????)
Then they explain that the miles in Z class are credited 150% after the date indicated, so if I buy a ticket now, even if the www.meilenrechner.de says 200%, I am well informed that the milles will be credited 150% after 01 sept. 2012.
And they are sorry to learn I am disappointed.
Wele, I am sorry too,
Old May 1, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Wow, I have been away for a few weeks and it was quite an effort to make my way through this thread. Emotions seem to be running higher than normal on this one...

However, I took the time to read through to see the thinking of others as the proposed M&M changes seem to have a major impact on me.

I am New York based and fly transatlantic for business about 6-7 times per year, mostly in Z, mostly JFK/FRA or EWR/DUS (I can usually plan my travel far enough ahead to take advantage of discounted C-class), plus 3-4 times per year privately, either in Y (S/V), or in Z if it is a very good deal.

The quotes below speak most strongly to my situation.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Glad I got my SEN in last year, valid till 2/2015. In reflection, it was due to a ton V intercont flights (with a SWU or two to help me into C) and one Z on LH, the rest in Z and A on US Air.

Looking at the changes it will not affect the higher fare (Y-V) eco pax, but more the Z (and now P) leisure/corporate travellers who aimed to fly F , certainly a group of pax LH was pampering to keep booking their C product. If they don't accompany this change with a major discount in Z/P, this could spell trouble for revenue...
I am one of those "Z (and now P) leisure/corporate travellers..."

Originally Posted by nswat

Those of us who fly 120 -150k a year will never make HON, so the Z deval is really only hurting us...

...I hate to think of the 1000's of hours my but has flown in the NEK to get SEN and then fly on a TATL or Asian Flight in a well earned and deserved C seat to see another US FFP pax sitting upfront in F with a with one of their special deals. I think SQ are going the right way with that exclusivity. thats what it is about.

So if LH ends up giving access to Z fare tickets at 35% less than their current value, and we can fly to Asia on Z for say €1500 incl all taxes etc, then it will be ok to devalue it as a lot more Z fares will be bought, but if they just degrade the earning value, then they really are losing the plot.
In my case, under the coming changes, LH is removing the key feature of the M&M program that attracted me in the first place (I came over from UA MileagePlus a few years ago when it occured to me that I was flying LH 90+% of the time with *A anyway so I looked into what M&M had to offer), namely 200% earning on Z fares.

The 200% allows me to comfortably reach SEN every year. At 150% it is close whether or not I reach SEN.

However, if Z-fares come down a bit, then it is possible I will make up the difference by buying more Z-fares for private travel.

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
FFP Strategy on the long run:
- Secure Lifetime QF-Status
- Evaluate if change to a cheap *G is possible.

The 200% Mileage was the main reason that I did not leave M&M after August 2004. As this is now over.

Other airlines have nice products as well.
If I find it becomes too hard to maintain *G on LH under my current travel patterns, then going back to UA seems a rational choice. With UA I earn *G at 50k miles, and I can also give some of my Transatlantic business to SkyTeam (which I usually fly inside the US and to Pacific destinations anyway) to raise my status level with SkyTeam.

As long as UA keeps the Welcome Lounge agreement in FRA, what do I lose by going back to United (assuming there are no changes in Z pricing after the changes take effect)?

From NYC I have many options. To the German-speaking world, I find LH Group is often the best value (though my trip last month was on a Schnäppchen to FRA with SQ, €1.450 return).

However, when an airline too-often manipulates its frequent-flyer program (which to my way of thinking, an FFP is a small discount [buy x, get one free] and a few service incentives, in return for frequent business), then what they are doing is moving me from a comfortable status-quo (where I by default buy LH unless the price difference is too great to ignore) to a place where I re-evalutate more often who offers the best price/service for my needs.

I am not sure it is a good idea to make frequent customers uncomfortable, but then I am not paid to make those decisions.
Old May 1, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: LH HON, AMEX Plat, Avis Pres, Sixt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton G, Priority G, Hyatt Plat,Kempinski PC
So, Y eliminated for HON Miles, C will be eliminated in Europe/Germany (after transferring Ops to Germanwings), F will be eliminated on several routes, Z and P will earn much less miles at prices previously earned on D and are often the only business-booking classes on Lufthansa .com. how many HON will be left? 500?
Old May 1, 2012, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by kasi
So, Y eliminated for HON Miles, C will be eliminated in Europe/Germany (after transferring Ops to Germanwings), F will be eliminated on several routes, Z and P will earn much less miles at prices previously earned on D and are often the only business-booking classes on Lufthansa .com. how many HON will be left? 500?
It sure looks like they want to eliminate the HON program slice by slice so that they can cancel it in the next round?
Old May 1, 2012, 2:53 pm

499. My (HON) partner just went over to One World...
Old May 1, 2012, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by N1003U
499. My (HON) partner just went over to One World...
Or should I say my (HON) partner who used to go out of her way to fly from NYC to Asia via FRA on LH on mostly Z fares...
Old May 1, 2012, 4:52 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Or should I say my (HON) partner who used to go out of her way to fly from NYC to Asia via FRA on LH on mostly Z fares...
Did she actually fly all the way from NYC to Asia via FRA in LH C? Or did she have enough eVouchers and SWUs?
Old May 1, 2012, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Did she actually fly all the way from NYC to Asia via FRA in LH C? Or did she have enough eVouchers and SWUs?
Yes paid LH C. She travelled to Asia almost monthly in 2009 and 2010, and at least quarterly since then.

Non-stops from NYC to PEK and PVG are surprisingly limited (and tend to be more expensive), and as long as you are making a stop, believe it or not, via FRA is not a lot worse than via, say YYZ or ICN, especially if you have someplace nice like the FCT to hang out between when LH405 lands and the China flights depart. With some flexibility in dates and a little advanced planning, the LH Z-fares are reasonably competitive. She is also a German national and can schedule stopovers to visit family.

However, if Z-class will only earn 150%, that reduces mileage earning on a US to Asia return trip from ~40k to ~30k, and it will be very hard to maintain HON. Add the fact that she prefers AA domestically in the US, she has had a couple of very good experiences with CX, and she has a new customer in London, and you have the makings of a defection to One World. On an annual basis, her defection represents a spend of €60k - €85k (plus more now for trips to London) that just left LH and is now going to CX/BA/AA. I wonder how many times something similar has to happen before LH notices. If the goal is fewer HONs, then at least in my anecdotal example, the changes are already working to eliminate a "marginal" HON. I wonder why LH would want such a customer to go away, though...

I am a cheapskate and usually fly OZ or KE to China via ICN, since they are almost always the low fare provider, and I also maintain status on SkyTeam, due to my US destinations that work well with DL.

I use LH because they are very competitive over the Atlantic, many of my projects are in Germany, FRA is a convenient gateway for me, and unlike apparently some folks in this forum, I actually like LH on-board service, and I can sleep in the old C seats. But I fly almost exclusively on Z-fares if I can help it, so if I ever had a chance to make HON, this enhancement killed it. Plus now I have to buy-up in order to upgrade to F, which if I am objective is not a huge deal, but right now I am feeing emotional...
Old May 1, 2012, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Plus now I have to buy-up in order to upgrade to F, which if I am objective is not a huge deal, but right now I am feeing emotional...
Unless money doesn't matter or you never actually attempt to upgrade it is kind of a big deal. Now getting 150% miles and not being able to upgrade on fares which are higher than they were in the past is a big deal for me.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Unless money doesn't matter or you never actually attempt to upgrade it is kind of a big deal. Now getting 150% miles and not being able to upgrade on fares which are higher than they were in the past is a big deal for me.
If I look at my personal travel patterns objectively, I very rarely upgrade C to F. I am much more likely to use my eVouchers to upgrade from Y to C on private travel (my travel policy allows for this), and if I want to fly F, I buy on the occasional "super-discount" deals, or I use miles to buy an O ticket.

Of course for others it may be different, and if you often upgrade often (especially with eVouchers) from C to F, or your company is like mine and you travel almost exclusively on paid Z fares, this is enhancement is a very bad thing.

If, as suggested by others, Z fares do not drop some after this enhancement, I will interpret the changes as an invitation to consider alternatives for my travel needs (and perhaps helping to make the SEN experience more "exclusive" for others ).

From New York, I have MANY options to fly nonstop to FRA and MUC (and even one or two to STR and HAM), but I prefer LH. I understand the thinking to align benefits with price paid, but I am not sure in this case that LH has completely thought about (LH, what are you "sinking" about ) the dynamics these changes will bring. Any nonlinear analysts, game theorists, of economics professors want to weigh in on this?
Old May 2, 2012, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If, as suggested by others, Z fares do not drop some after this enhancement, I will interpret the changes as an invitation to consider alternatives for my travel needs (and perhaps helping to make the SEN experience more "exclusive" for others ).

From New York, I have MANY options to fly nonstop to FRA and MUC (and even one or two to STR and HAM), but I prefer LH. I understand the thinking to align benefits with price paid, but I am not sure in this case that LH has completely thought about (LH, what are you "sinking" about ) the dynamics these changes will bring. Any nonlinear analysts, game theorists, of economics professors want to weigh in on this?
Well said.

I even took a DL flight- granted no HON circle lounge- however- the flight was nonstop and direct from VCE- it was 700 EUR cheaper in business than LH. The seat was full lie flat- definitely a step below F however a step up from the C on LH (but not LX).
Old May 2, 2012, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Well said.

I even took a DL flight- granted no HON circle lounge- however- the flight was nonstop and direct from VCE- it was 700 EUR cheaper in business than LH. The seat was full lie flat- definitely a step below F however a step up from the C on LH (but not LX).
Liberating, isn't it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.