Search

Rumour [confirmed]: Major changes to Miles & More

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by swiss_global
I currently consider the following strategy options:

a) Accept relegation to FTL (although I'll still earn about 75k miles a year)?
b) Earn all my *A miles to TK (which I only used in alternate years, previously)?
c) Open up another alternative *A FFP for the LH years?
d) ???
FTL isn't of much use unless most of your flights are with the LH group. *S is completely useless on other carriers: no priority anything, no extra luggage, no lounge access. Have a look at the new Latin American option that just materialized with Avianca/TACA.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...gram-star.html
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, LH SEN, CZ G, QR G, CX G, BA EC, HH D, MR S, SPG G, IC A
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
FTL isn't of much use unless most of your flights are with the LH group. *S is completely useless on other carriers: no priority anything, no extra luggage, no lounge access. Have a look at the new Latin American option that just materialized with Avianca/TACA.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...gram-star.html
Maluku_Flyer, LifeMiles sounds great on paper...but unless you will be flying the minimum required miles on TA metal, forget about status with them.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by Desert Traveller
Maluku_Flyer, LifeMiles sounds great on paper...but unless you will be flying the minimum required miles on TA metal, forget about status with them.
Thanks, Maluku_Flyer, for your advise to leave LH and join AV. As Desert Traveller points out, this is only feasible if flying AV/TA regularly - also because other carriers only attract 100% status miles flying business.

I've never flown AV/TA and they are unlikely to fit with my travel pattern, at least not on a regular basis.

But back to my four strategic options - any other views?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Thanks, Maluku_Flyer, for your advise to leave LH and join AV. As Desert Traveller points out, this is only feasible if flying AV/TA regularly - also because other carriers only attract 100% status miles flying business.
I've never flown AV/TA and they are unlikely to fit with my travel pattern, at least not on a regular basis.
But back to my four strategic options - any other views?
Well, it would certainly help if you could elaborate on your flying patterns a bit. Otherwise you'll risk getting other suggestions that are of no use to you.

I personally think that the LH FTL is fairly useless, so I wouldn't even consider that option. Mind you, I was FTL myself for a few years, but that as just coincidental, and I also happened to have "gold" status on the airline that I was actually flying most at the time (not a *A airline).

But if it turns out that you fly mostly on LH group airliners, then it isn't quite as bad. The "cheapest" *G card appears to be the one from A3. You could for example credit just enough miles to A3 to get the card. But I don't really know much about that program, however, there are plenty of threads about it right here on FT.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Well, it would certainly help if you could elaborate on your flying patterns a bit.
Sure, and I think that's why I didn' t dismiss the FTL option immediately. As I'm based in Zurich, flying LX is the obvious choice for many European destinations. True, on some main routes (LON, AMS, MAD ...) you do have alternatives, but for many smaller routes LX is the only option. On long-haul it's a different story, instead of flying through FRA or MUC (what I did up until now), I could also fly more often via LHR or AMS.

Perhaps, I should also clarify what is in my profile, that I'm also *G through TK. So I'm really wondering whether it makes sense to open a third *A program, e.g. A3, or whether the FTL benefits are substantive enough to stick to M&M?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Diamond
I thought that e-voucher from Z to F was not permitted after September 1.
I have a paid ticket including LH flight from LAX to MUC in October, Z class. Ticket was bought via TA with UA, as it was much cheaper than with LH or OS.
As sen, I phone miles-and-more and used my evoucher to upgrade the flight segment yesterday. It cleared in 10 minutes and I got the F class seat for the LAX-MUC leg.

Do I have to worry that it will be removed soon or can i trust the system (miles-and-more booking overview) and believe that my new booking is correct?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by myfanfan9
I thought that e-voucher from Z to F was not permitted after September 1.
I have a paid ticket including LH flight from LAX to MUC in October, Z class. Ticket was bought via TA with UA, as it was much cheaper than with LH or OS.
As sen, I phone miles-and-more and used my evoucher to upgrade the flight segment yesterday. It cleared in 10 minutes and I got the F class seat for the LAX-MUC leg.

Do I have to worry that it will be removed soon or can i trust the system (miles-and-more booking overview) and believe that my new booking is correct?
You will keep your upgrade. You can upgrade now flights after September booked in Z (if space is available, which was my problem in the past).

From 1st September you cannot upgrade those flights booked in Z any more.

Similar when they make fares more expensive: If you book now, you get the old conditions.

On the other hand: Milage earning depends on the time of actual flying!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Is there a new chart for oneway *A redemptions yet for travel after 1st Sept?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why would there be?
It's 50% of the return trip.....the only thing that will (hopefully) change is that one-way awards on partners now also can be booked online.

M&M is "only" adjusting the miles earned for some classes on September 1st. So far they have left the redemption alone this year.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by RTW1
Why would there be?
It's 50% of the return trip.....the only thing that will (hopefully) change is that one-way awards on partners now also can be booked online.

So that will happen... when? Sept 1st?

I am hoping for a SIN-NRT-YVR flight next weekend !
Old Aug 29, 2012, 2:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, you will have to wait until Sept 1st before these can be booked....(last part of the announcement)

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...en&cid=1000263

Hopefully the online booking will work as well... But it wouldn't surprise me when that will have some hick-ups at first...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: TK E+, BA G, SPG Plat, PC G, MR Plat, HH G
I currently consider the following strategy options:

a) Accept relegation to FTL (although I'll still earn about 75k miles a year)?
b) Earn all my *A miles to TK (which I only used in alternate years, previously)?
c) Open up another alternative *A FFP for the LH years?
d) ???

Any views?[/QUOTE]

I m having the same dilemma.
I m SEN and Elite + with TK crediting my miles also every other year to the respective programme.
Last year I decided to forget about renewing my LH status and instead join BMI DC. Compared to M&M, DC was a big improvement: more miles earned, cheaper reward, 4 upgrades you could actually use instead of 2 lousy E voucher (none of which I managed to spent over the last years and which will now probably all expire next year)
Sadly my timing was unfortunate and soon DC folded.
But I m now BA G and start to appreciate their programme more and more.

I decided against joining a 4th programme as the chances that A3, .. would follow DC are considerable while on most flights other programmes would not earn more miles than MM (but you would have worse availability and awards can not be changed (while the flexibility is normally a big advantage)

So while I m still open to new suggestions I decided to credit most of my flights to TK. When I fly with LH group on a cheap ticket I still credit to M&M and with the soft landing I will still earn a few years the 25 % bonus and maybe I will even try to keep the FTL (just to keep the bonus and the fact that the miles wont expire)

The only potential problem I see with my new strategy is actually using my TK miles. I have already more than 100 K miles expiring next year but when I tried to book a reward ticket coming Xmas to SE Asia, I could not find any seats so I had to use my MM (last time SEN companion) and had no problem finding availability.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:52 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Is there a new chart for oneway *A redemptions yet for travel after 1st Sept?
I guess LH IT (or who else is responsible for that) is implementing this right now on the M&M Website.
Currently I can see "Roundtrip" or "Oneway" choice although I could not find any flight using o/w search MUC-NYC/SEA/IAD/ORD in September.

Was able to find MUC-FRA ie on 9/23 in Business for 17000 Miles and 80,58€ OR 15000 Miles (as it is an intraeurope flight). Well, they still charge to full 15000 Miles for tax/fees...nice....
Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:05 am

Programs: LH FTL
I just tried to book a one way flight to Asia and it seems to work
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The lower 100k SEN qualification threshold for German members is also active this week, the status updates and evouchers just posted for a colleague.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.