FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

New First class retrofit thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:35 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this is query is specific to LH, we'll move this to the Miles and More forum. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: AC Elite 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am looking to book YUL-MUC-Asia on LH First in Dec 2014. LH is using A330-300 on this route in Dec. Would anyone in this forum know if I will get the new First Class seat on this flight?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by HansGolden
Kind of, but the story's even weirder than that. I booked while YYZ-MUC was wide open in F, with four seats available in F. I nabbed four seats on YYZ-MUC on date #1, two seats the next day, and one seat the next. I then made our stopover in Munich, then did all the same day MUC-FRA-BKK. I did four in F, which is what was available on that date for FRA-BKK (and a number of other dates) and did three in C. After that, I made a few tweaks, reissued a few times (it was out of UA Plat account), and one day I noticed the C seats had magically changed to F! I have no idea what happened. At first I was super-suspicious the SHARES (UA) and Amadeus (LH) PNRs were out of sync, because they're still selling two F seats, but I looked up the LH record locator on CheckMyTrip and it's O-class there for all PNRs as well. It'd be a great reimbursement opportunity for some HON Circle person who regularly buys F anyway to buy two F seats on that flight. I guess RM thinks that selling 7 F so far ahead means it's inevitable one will cancel, but RM's not smart enough to know it's a family with all same last names...

ETA: Was the YYZ-MUC bonanza more widespread than just that route? I was amazed FRA-BKK had any LH F so far ahead, but someone told me it was normal for that route. Is that true?
Wow! You really are lucky.Was this is early Dec? Are there any such bonanza's out there for Dec 2014?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Sorry if this has been asked before on this thread, but how reliable is LH's own information regarding the availability of new F on their site:
http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/First-Class-Product

Specifically, if the website indicates that new F will be available, how big is the risk of a last-minute equipment swap on the following routes:

FRA-YYZ
FRA-DFW

Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by agjil
Just out of curiosity, was there any other Asia route that had seats open in F during that time?
Not that I know of. Was only looking at BKK.

Originally Posted by LoveSQ
Wow! You really are lucky.Was this is early Dec? Are there any such bonanza's out there for Dec 2014?
I first booked on Nov. 7, 2013. Flights are in June 2014. YUL/YVR<>MUC is quite open in LH F ATM, but other than that, I'm not aware of any. (I just yesterday grabbed three seats on YUL-MUC so our whole fam of 7 is now flying same day ICT-ORD-YUL/YYZ-MUC in LH F.)

Sorry for sidetracking this thread.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by HansGolden
Not that I know of. Was only looking at BKK.

I first booked on Nov. 7, 2013. Flights are in June 2014. YUL/YVR<>MUC is quite open in LH F ATM, but other than that, I'm not aware of any. (I just yesterday grabbed three seats on YUL-MUC so our whole fam of 7 is now flying same day ICT-ORD-YUL/YYZ-MUC in LH F.)

Sorry for sidetracking this thread.
Thanks. Have fun with your family..
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by LoveSQ
I am looking to book YUL-MUC-Asia on LH First in Dec 2014. LH is using A330-300 on this route in Dec. Would anyone in this forum know if I will get the new First Class seat on this flight?
Yes, new F.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:31 pm

The A333 has 2 "new" F Class.

The "old" new retrofit F with the standard IFE and the new one with a 16:9 screen. That one is build in the AIKG for example. I had this on LH439 from DFW to FRA last week.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
I know the 747-400 has somewhat unique seating with the permanent bed, but I am wondering if there is any difference at all between the 380, 748, and retrofit 333 first class seats? I am looking to fly FRA-YVR in October but I will fly FRA-MUC-YVR most likely as it seems YVR and DEN are neck in neck with the dubious honour of most likely to get the old interior.

Cheers
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by lowside67
I am wondering if there is any difference at all between the 380, 748, and retrofit 333 first class seats?
Minor differences... mainly IFE related. The Line fit A380, 330 and 748 have the Panasonic ex2 IFE, the retrofit A330 and A346 the RAVE system.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:40 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
...I am wondering if there is any difference at all between the 380, 748, and retrofit 333 first class seats?
The 380 (and also 748 I believe) have personal closets which are much better than overhead bins, especially if you are in 1A/1K on the A380.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:50 am

I know the 747-400 has somewhat unique seating with the permanent bed, but I am wondering if there is any difference at all between the 380, 748, and retrofit 333 first class seats? I am looking to fly FRA-YVR in October but I will fly FRA-MUC-YVR most likely as it seems YVR and DEN are neck in neck with the dubious honour of most likely to get the old interior.
748 has personal lockers in the back of the cabin, still the ones in the 388 are more practical, particularly in 1A/1K as mentioned. 333 is less practical as you have to fit your belongings into the overhead bins.
A more important difference than the seats I consider the noise level in the different aircrafts: 388 is extremely quiet, 748 is more quiet than most others, 333 I found rather noisy - at least compared to the other two.
Another maybe more minor difference is the overall atmosphere in the cabin with the 388 being very spacious and stylish, the 748 (having had 1K) more intimate but also more "dense" and the 333 kind of non-special.

All very trivial and subjective and none of the choices are really bad - it's F after all.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by senzur
All very trivial and subjective and none of the choices are really bad - it's F after all.
Thanks. That's an excellent summary.

How does the view out of the window compare from 1K on the 748 to the window seats on the A380?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Thanks. That's an excellent summary.

How does the view out of the window compare from 1K on the 748 to the window seats on the A380?
The view forward from 1K on the 748 I found "interesting" as you move slightly sideways due to the curvature of the plane's nose (but in a less strange way than in the AC herringbone as you're not facing away from the window). It also feels less pronounced than on 1K in C of the 744 due to the seat arrangement further away from the wall in F. The view downwards is somewhat better in the 748 than in the 388 where the walls are thicker, i.e. the distance between inner pane and outer pane of the window is larger and where you sit even further away from the outer window, maybe also due to larger (?) side bins - rather bad for taking pictures.
Again, nothing actually measured but just from what I remember (maybe I'm tricked by my memory as I flew them in the order of 388, 748, and 333 - the first time in new F maybe just leaves the best impression irrespective of the plane type).
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Thanks very much for the quick responses! Are all the retrofitted 744s with the permanent bed? My first choice really is FRA-YVR but this is somewhat of a "once in a lifetime" for me and I would be fine with any of the updated first seats but would be disappointed to get one of the old birds...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.