Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The A380 economy experience-post it here.

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: Continetnal Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
27A/C and 27H/K are the best if you don't mind sitting right at the back of the plane.
From what I have read the service is from the back for dinner, so not much disadvantage being in the back.
Old May 31, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by N1003U
There is a row somewhere in the back of C with a free space in front of it at an emergency exit door (does anyone know the exact row number?). I sat there once, and it does have the advantage of nothing in front of you.

I personally prefer to sit closer to the aerodynamic center in the A380 for reasons of phugoid response of the airframe (which seems to me to be a bit more noticeable in the back, far from the aerodynamic center), but if you want free space at your feet, the exit row seat is the one to get.
+1 - Although 27 has some additional space, there's not much additional value for it in C. Get a seat in the front to leave A380 first (so precious when flying to US for example)

safe travels!
mfk
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik
Get a seat in the front to leave A380 first (so precious when flying to US for example)
I am not quite sure what this means. I understand you don't think it's a big deal to get an exit row in business class. I understand that part. But, I just didn't understand this sentence. Why is it "so precious" to be toward the front of business "when flying to the US"?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Ever been in one of those (very) long lines at US immigration, like most non-US travelers?

That's why it's normally a good idea to be first of the plane.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by RTW1
Ever been in one of those (very) long lines at US immigration, like most non-US travelers?

That's why it's normally a good idea to be first of the plane.
thank you. That's exactly the point. FRA-SFO LH A380 arrives around mid day. Together with (as far as I remember) three other widebodies (China? Singapore? New Z.?).
I've seen some serious mess @ US immigration before but experience from that very flight reminded me of this:

(not my pic - all rights reserved)

safe travels!
mfk
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:55 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Should you be able to reserve the exit row (75) as a SEN? When I try to do so, the website immediately changes my request 75J (window side) and confirms 58B. To add insult to injury, 58B is the first row of seats where both the A and C seats are already taken. 50-57A, B and C are empty! It does the same if I try to reserve 76K.

It appears as if LH's website did not add my SEN number to the booking after I added it to the interface (number was given at time of reservation, however), nor does it let me add the number (the request is simply ignored by the website).

LH sure follows its new strategy to annoy all groups of customers.

HTB.

Last edited by htb; Jun 15, 2012 at 10:10 am
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR

Those who have actually travelled the lh a380, would you pick it over a ua 777 in y usa-germany?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
LH has removed the A380 from the route I normally fly (FRA-MIA) Now it is a 747 and not a direct flight so I have opted for returning to US Airways but this time I am flying Envoy in the newly refitted A330-200 with the Envoy suite config. Cost for this is as much as business class on LH.

I have heard complaints about the A380 business flying experience that it is like flying Economy as it was in the past. I believe there are over 90 business class seats on the A380 and service suffers because of so many PAX.

Larger craft seems to mean less craft and flights needed to service the routes. Good for profits is corporates thinking? But if the consumer is not happy then there will be a jump to other more accommodating airlines. That's what happened for me.

Plus, LH is still charging a fee for booking using a credit card and I am not pleased on that issue.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Those who have actually travelled the lh a380, would you pick it over a ua 777 in y usa-germany?
I have flown both, and I would pick the A380. But I would try and get in Y+ in UA especially on a west coast flights.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Heidelberg Barbie
LH has removed the A380 from the route I normally fly (FRA-MIA) Now it is a 747 and not a direct flight so I have opted for returning to US Airways but this time I am flying Envoy in the newly refitted A330-200 with the Envoy suite config. Cost for this is as much as business class on LH.

I have heard complaints about the A380 business flying experience that it is like flying Economy as it was in the past. I believe there are over 90 business class seats on the A380 and service suffers because of so many PAX.

Larger craft seems to mean less craft and flights needed to service the routes. Good for profits is corporates thinking? But if the consumer is not happy then there will be a jump to other more accommodating airlines. That's what happened for me.

Plus, LH is still charging a fee for booking using a credit card and I am not pleased on that issue.
I flew on LH's A380 last summer r.t. MIA to FRA when the service first started. Was I glad I chose the A380, absolutely yes and surely would choose it again where the opportunity exists. LH's business class experience was quite professional and surely superior to any U.S. flag carrier.

That said, when you are stuck in a seat for 11 hours, you are stuck in a seat, A380 notwithstanding!

Worldspan
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Hmm... compared to a tatty pmUA 772 or a newer pmCO 772?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Hmm... compared to a tatty pmUA 772 or a newer pmCO 772?
Did the newer pmCO772 from Newark to Delhi and I would definetly do the A380 over it any day. To me ultimately the 777 of any category/configuration seems no different than a 767. That said, I love the huge window in most of the washrooms on the A380! What a difference a window makes!

Worldspan
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I like the ambiance, seating and entertainment system of the A380. Things I did not like so much in Y:

1) longer queuing to board with a larger crowd
2) not being able to rest/sleep against the wall of the aircraft- there is a wider gap to the window seat.
3) no air vent. The air quality is good but if the flight is warm there is no option to get some cool air.

Overall I prefer to fly a 777.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:10 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by worldspan
To me ultimately the 777 of any category/configuration seems no different than a 767.
Definitely disagree if its a 10 across 777
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:02 pm
Suspended

I would pay extra to avoid the LH A380.
The seating situation is intolerable for any flight over 2 hours.

A United 777 in E+ is FAR superior in comfort.
In regular Y, United is better due to not having the IFE box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.