Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Miles and More Forum Biergarten Thread — Everybody is Welcome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Are you sure you were in ZRH? From all security checkpoints, the Kantonspolizei in ZRH does quite a good job, the lines are well organised, and I can hardly ever complain about anything. And I DO love complaining
I have also had good experiences with the security checkpoints in ZRH. Organized and quick.

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Surprisingly I have come across a few- LHR still though is on the list of very poor airports for customer service at security checkpoints- yet FRA manages to move up this list more and more each time I fly thru.
I rarely am able to make it through the magnetometers in FRA without being selected for secondary screening. The last time, the only piece of metal the inspector was able to find was the small clip that fastens my pants at the front.

I can't imagine it is practical to use a magnetometer that is set with such high sensitivity. Sometimes the wait for a secondary hand search takes longer than the wait for the x-ray machines.

Perhaps it is all part of the charm and character that makes FRA one of the world's great airports...
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1003U
I rarely am able to make it through the magnetometers in FRA without being selected for secondary screening. The last time, the only piece of metal the inspector was able to find was the small clip that fastens my pants at the front.
My cufflinks (small) set off the magnetometers at FRA last week.

Every single customer going through set off the machine.

The answer was to scan every customers shoes.

Very impressive- something I have only seen elsewhere in very southern smaller airports in India.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:48 pm

Very impressive- something I have only seen elsewhere in very southern smaller airports in India.
Just go to China, no matter what, they'll do the hand scan on every single passenger.. obviously no one removes belts or anything there, as it's done anyway..
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Just go to China, no matter what, they'll do the hand scan on every single passenger.. obviously no one removes belts or anything there, as it's done anyway..
Same is done in India. I prefer it that way - more efficient, and no getting radiated by x-ray machines like in the US.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Same is done in India. I prefer it that way - more efficient, and no getting radiated by x-ray machines like in the US.
Scanning every passengers' shoes as a result of WTMD going off is not something that has ever hit me on any of my many flights when in India or China and not dealing with US carriers.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Scanning every passengers' shoes as a result of WTMD going off is not something that has ever hit me on any of my many flights when in India or China and not dealing with US carriers.
No, I was talking about hand scanning (w/ HHMD) each passengers.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
The only decent security at FRA is at the FCT.

On my recent travels I would rate security as follows (1 good, 10 bad)

BHX 2, FRA Z xfer 10, SIN 5*, MEL 3, BNE 1, SYD 4, FRA FCT 1

*weero has a point, doing security at the gate in SIN is a pain in the butt. I disagree with him about most other things at that airport.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum

You can pretty much be sure of getting a beep when going through the business line in FRA Terminal 2 Schengen. I swear no more than 2 people ever can make it through in a row. I wear the same thing every time and only have about a 50% success rate. I think they have the random % cranked on that line so that they can maintain a good overall average.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:51 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Manual searches have always struck me as a more practical solution than the (mostly feeble) attempts at automating the process. The existing technologies are just not up to the task.

BTW, I have been in the US for the past couple of weeks and I don't know if it got any press coverage in the EU, but the TSA is quietly getting rid of its full body scanners (both x-ray, and radar-based). I guess they decided the extra cost for very little (if any) gain and a slower process was not justified...@:-) Not to mention the large numbers of "opt out" passengers (in the US, you are allowed to request a manual search in lieu of the body scanner) who not only defeat the process, but are automatically subjected to a thorough secondary screening, slowing the process even further.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:00 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Are you sure you were in ZRH? From all security checkpoints, the Kantonspolizei in ZRH does quite a good job, the lines are well organised, and I can hardly ever complain about anything. And I DO love complaining
This is why I used past tense - ZRH improved a whole lot when they moved to a central security system and have their agents in bright public view.

Before that, the E gate security was a constant nuisance. Several times I had to wait for a supervisor because the agents believed that I insulted them.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by weero
Several times I had to wait for a supervisor because the agents believed that I insulted them.
I wonder why....
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I have never been patted down in China. Not once.

The groping is a ZRH/FRA thingie.
Originally Posted by iainbhx
..*weero has a point, doing security at the gate in SIN is a pain in the butt. I disagree with him about most other things at that airport.
While I of course love you for the partial concession: how can you disagree with me that the *G lounges do not have showers and offer bald halal food?

That is a factoid, not an opinion.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by weero
I have never been patted down in China. Not once.

The groping is a ZRH/FRA thingie.

While I of course love you for the partial concession: how can you disagree with me that the *G lounges do not have showers and offer bald halal food?

That is a factoid, not an opinion.
Regarding the patt down in China, this is REALLY interesting. I've been going from several Chinese airports, both domestic and international in the last 12 months, and ALWAYS got a pat down, and I did NOT spot a single person before or after me not getting the same exact treatment. It wasn't bad, the lines were moving acceptable, but as I said, EVERYONE had to stand on the little podium and get checked.

I had this at Hangzhou (2x), Shanghai PVG (2x) and SHA, Xi'an, Nanjing (2x), Beijing (3x) and Sanya.

Every single time. And not just me, everyone I saw in sight at the security checkpoints. And that includes "VIP" lines.

About the SIN *G lounges (I know you didn't asked me about it, but I feel free enough to answer as well ), I too was disappointed that they don't have showers. Freshing up in the washroom definitely is not a good option after a hot day in Singapore.

But the food didn't strike me to be particularly bad. Generally I've no issues eating Halal food at all, and it didn't really tasted bland to me. Sure, the SilverKris lounge has more food options, and some of them might be better, but the *G offer (besides no showers) were quite good, if I compare it with other *G lounges around the world, it even ranks relatively high up.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Took a look at the 'new and improved' seatguru today... if LH seatmaps are a reference, this site has gone downhill big time...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Took a look at the 'new and improved' seatguru today... if LH seatmaps are a reference, this site has gone downhill big time...
Yes some of the information is a bit odd

Apparently LH has

First class in the A320 but only Business in the A321

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.