Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Miles and More Forum Biergarten Thread — Everybody is Welcome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:32 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
YQ on UA

I am looking for an award from the USA to Europe. With luck and patience, I found an itn, entirely on UA. When I went to book it, LH stated that fees and taxes are 500Euros per ticket. I thought LH does not charge YQ when using partner airlines that don't collect YQ themselves. Was I mistaken or is this really the correct charge?

50,000 miles and 500 Euros seems very steep for a coach ticket. How do you avoid the YQ charge on award tickets with LH miles?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater
I am looking for an award from the USA to Europe. With luck and patience, I found an itn, entirely on UA. When I went to book it, LH stated that fees and taxes are 500Euros per ticket. I thought LH does not charge YQ when using partner airlines that don't collect YQ themselves. Was I mistaken or is this really the correct charge?

50,000 miles and 500 Euros seems very steep for a coach ticket. How do you avoid the YQ charge on award tickets with LH miles?
You're simply not booking Couch using miles in long haul (and the same applies for short haul mostly too)

Miles are best used for First Class ticket, and Business class secondary, but never for Coach. Often, a paid ticket in Economy is cheaper than using your miles and YQ on it..
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
How do you avoid the YQ charge on award tickets with LH miles?
Try booking a domestic award in the US to avoid paying YQ.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
You're simply not booking Couch using miles in long haul (and the same applies for short haul mostly too)

Miles are best used for First Class ticket, and Business class secondary, but never for Coach. Often, a paid ticket in Economy is cheaper than using your miles and YQ on it..
Thanks... so it is correct that LH collects YQ on UA/US international award tickets?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Thanks... so it is correct that LH collects YQ on UA/US international award tickets?
Yes, sadly they do
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yes, sadly they do
That makes M&M miles fairly useless to me. Bummer. I guess the best way (as suggested previously) is to use them on F/J seats and credit other flights to UA
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Bummer. I guess the best way (as suggested previously) is to use them on F/J seats and credit other flights to UA
Actually, M&M YQ are a problem for some years already and using miles for F/C travel or private Y flights on short notice within Europe (which can be very expensive at times) is the best way to go.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by weero

I prefer LHR somewhat over FRA. And they are both infinitely better than say CDG. ZRH deserves to flushed down now after they crippled the lounge Internet access.

Not at all. Racism is to support the penalization of a person based on their origin and not the non-acceptance of their cultural idiosyncrasies.
After my past three experiences at FRA, I would take LHR any day over FRA. FRA security has become a nightmare and makes even TSA look is better. In Novemebr I was going on holiday with a one year old on a day flight, they wanted to know why I have so many toys (about 8-10), made me switch on all the battery operated toys (mainly toys that make noise and flash lights). In December they wanted me to take my ipad out of the cover and switch it on, last time they wanted to take my camera out and wanted me to switch it on and take photos... LHR security is very civilised in comparison.
Maybe I have fallen into the list of person non grata like Weero and FRA security does not like the look of me..
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Wow, Weero, you sound really bitter. SIN is one of the best airports I have been to.
I feel with you. You should be bitter then .
Also I have had no issues in FRA or ZRH.
Well compared to SIN they don't look all that bad, do they?

Since ZRH change its security system and moved the war criminals who ran the E gate security back onto the streets of Zurich, the airport has gained a lot of charm. Now FRA security is again worse than the ZRH one.

But back to your generic statement above: which airport in Asia do you consider inferior to SIN?

PEK can be bad at times but it makes up for it by superior lounges and real world food.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by LonLH
After my past three experiences at FRA, I would take LHR any day over FRA. FRA security has become a nightmare and makes even TSA look is better. In Novemebr I was going on holiday with a one year old on a day flight, they wanted to know why I have so many toys (about 8-10), made me switch on all the battery operated toys (mainly toys that make noise and flash lights). In December they wanted me to take my ipad out of the cover and switch it on, last time they wanted to take my camera out and wanted me to switch it on and take photos... LHR security is very civilised in comparison.
Maybe I have fallen into the list of person non grata like Weero and FRA security does not like the look of me..
Indeed ... I have to admit that this does not sound at all unusual for FRA. A teletubby camouflaged as a security agent once demanded that I'd power up the hard drives I had in my rollerboard. They were nude 3.5" SATA drives without any case or power supply. They had to get one of the rare guys who can read and write and talk to let me go with a bit of rectal groping and an explosive swab of all my 'toys'.
They are like TSA on steroids but off Prozac.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by LonLH
LHR security is very civilised in comparison.
where are these civilised agents when i travel????i haven't come across a single one in years at lhr....
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
where are these civilised agents when i travel????i haven't come across a single one in years at lhr....
LonLH didn't claim that they were civilized. They just appear civilized compared to the parolees and thugs @ FRA or the ex Securitate agents who dwelt at ZRH
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
LonLH didn't claim that they were civilized. They just appear civilized compared to the parolees and thugs @ FRA or the ex Securitate agents who dwelt at ZRH
fair enough....
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:02 am

Are you sure you were in ZRH? From all security checkpoints, the Kantonspolizei in ZRH does quite a good job, the lines are well organised, and I can hardly ever complain about anything. And I DO love complaining
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
Surprisingly I have come across a few- LHR still though is on the list of very poor airports for customer service at security checkpoints- yet FRA manages to move up this list more and more each time I fly thru.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.