Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

The definitive LH First experience thread [including how to maximize it]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The definitive LH First experience thread [including how to maximize it]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by luvFclass
...someone "took" all the unopened Evian mists, La Prairie hand lotions, and even all the makeup remover pads from both washrooms. All that was left was a few mouth wash, a couple of toothbrushes.
Classy! Did you have a Miss Marple/Hercule Poirot look around your fellow passengers ?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Classy! Did you have a Miss Marple/Hercule Poirot look around your fellow passengers ?
BINGO! Naturally I profiled, and ruled out the HON/SEN's sitting in the 1A & 4A.
Old May 7, 2016, 4:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
How strongly should I prioritize the A380?

Hello LH aficionados.

So I will from returning from AMS on LH F. I live in CT so I can fly into NYC or BOS. I've had the privilege of flying LH F once - it was on a 747-400 seat + bed, and I spent many many memorable hours in the FCT and rented a Porsche etc.

Having flown the 747-400, I'm wondering how strongly I should prioritize experiencing LH F on the A380. To do that, I'd need to fly:

LH 1003 depart AMS 8:00 arrive FRA 9:10 and then connect to LH 400 which departs at 11:00. So herein lies the dilemma, the connection time is rather short and my concern is that lounge and/or FCT time would be rushed. But, I've done it before, so maybe it's ok to sacrifice ground time for better air time?

Plenty of options on 747-8s into BOS or NYC with layover times ~4 hrs which seems about right, minus the craft.

#firstworldproblems
Old May 7, 2016, 7:11 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
A true maximizer will take an evening flight from AMS, stay in the city overnight and take a taxi to the FCT in the morning for LH400.
Old May 7, 2016, 7:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
A true maximizer will take an evening flight from AMS, stay in the city overnight and take a taxi to the FCT in the morning for LH400.
Believe me, this crossed my mind. However, I am in AMS for a meeting and need to be in the city the night before.

Alternatively, I could route via MUC, haven't done that in F and people seem to like the ground experience there. Decisions, decisions...
Old May 7, 2016, 8:00 am

NewbieRunner is right .

Since you've spent many hours in the FCT before, I'd suggest you go with the shorter stay at FCT and experience the A380. It's the best F product LH has (there are other threads about that). I love Boeing but I am not a fan of having F in the front of the 747 and it's a real shame that that is what they decided to do with the 748. I am sure that this makes more sense for LH so that they can pack the upper with C which is fine. F on the 748 is still great but it's not as good as the A380. Also remember, flying to JFK gives you a bit more flying time than to Boston.

Last edited by NYC1; May 7, 2016 at 8:02 am Reason: fixing emoji
Old May 7, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by AirD0c
Hello LH aficionados.

So I will from returning from AMS on LH F. I live in CT so I can fly into NYC or BOS. I've had the privilege of flying LH F once - it was on a 747-400 seat + bed, and I spent many many memorable hours in the FCT and rented a Porsche etc.

Having flown the 747-400, I'm wondering how strongly I should prioritize experiencing LH F on the A380. To do that, I'd need to fly:

LH 1003 depart AMS 8:00 arrive FRA 9:10 and then connect to LH 400 which departs at 11:00. So herein lies the dilemma, the connection time is rather short and my concern is that lounge and/or FCT time would be rushed. But, I've done it before, so maybe it's ok to sacrifice ground time for better air time?

Plenty of options on 747-8s into BOS or NYC with layover times ~4 hrs which seems about right, minus the craft.

#firstworldproblems
I just flew A380 and 747-8 in F back-to-back. I actually picked the 747-8 to EWR over the 380 to JFK even though there was space available on both.

Overall, I think A380 is the nicer product but only by a hairthin margin. The cabin feels more spacious, plus the larger washrooms and is ever-so slightly quieter. Being in the nose of the 747-8 is a special feeling though, especially in 1A. Can't go wrong with either really.
Old May 7, 2016, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by tng11
I just flew A380 and 747-8 in F back-to-back. I actually picked the 747-8 to EWR over the 380 to JFK even though there was space available on both.

Overall, I think A380 is the nicer product but only by a hairthin margin. The cabin feels more spacious, plus the larger washrooms and is ever-so slightly quieter. Being in the nose of the 747-8 is a special feeling though, especially in 1A. Can't go wrong with either really.
Interesting perspective. It's a big margin for me and I always pick the 380 when I can. The nose of the 747 doesn't do it for me (I also get 1A on the 748 when available) and I feel like it isn't big enough. Then there are the other 380 advantages mentioned above and the other threads.
Old May 7, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by NYC1
Interesting perspective. It's a big margin for me and I always pick the 380 when I can. The nose of the 747 doesn't do it for me (I also get 1A on the 748 when available) and I feel like it isn't big enough. Then there are the other 380 advantages mentioned above and the other threads.
To me, I barely notice any difference on the side as it's wasted space, and the seat is the same size though there's less overhead space which doesn't matter to me. But on the whole, I would agree the A380 is more spacious and airy feeling (I also get the impression that the A380 cabin feels more humid than the 748i given that I have sensitive sinuses which always act up on longhauls.)

I too would pick the A380 over the 748i when given the choice and the convenience factor is equal. In my case, the added hassle of switching airports in NYC outweighed the marginally better cabin in the A380.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for the all input. I'll try and get a seat on an A380 then. 1h50 min. connection might be a little tight for the FCT though; I may just settle for one of the FCLs...
Old May 9, 2016, 11:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AirD0c
Thanks for the all input. I'll try and get a seat on an A380 then. 1h50 min. connection might be a little tight for the FCT though; I may just settle for one of the FCLs...
Your flight from AMS is likely to arrive at an A gate. The FCL A is convenient but is on the wrong side of passport control and you will have to walk to your departure gate. In order to reach the FCL B, go down the elevator between gates A15 and A17 and walk through the tunnel. Go up the elevator, turn right and go through passport control. With the construction work going on outside the arrival level it might be a little quicker to go to the FCL B than to the FCT. Unless your flight departs from a B gate (very unlikely) you will be driven to your plane.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:46 pm

Your flight from AMS is likely to arrive at an A gate. The FCL A is convenient but is on the wrong side of passport control and you will have to walk to your departure gate. In order to reach the FCL B, go down the elevator between gates A15 and A17 and walk through the tunnel. Go up the elevator, turn right and go through passport control. With the construction work going on outside the arrival level it might be a little quicker to go to the FCL B than to the FCT. Unless your flight departs from a B gate (very unlikely) you will be driven to your plane.
I like the A FCL a lot. I wish it had an entrance at both levels...
Old May 9, 2016, 3:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Great advice, thanks! ^
Old May 9, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by NYC1
I just did these both back to back (747-8i HND-FRA and then A380 FRA-LAX) and agree with the above.

I was in 1A on the 747-8i and 2A on the A380.

My only caveat to what's already been said is that the windows on the upper deck on the A380 are much smaller, whereas the windows on the 747-8i were larger and easier to look out of.

Enjoyed the larger bathrooms of the A380!
Old May 14, 2016, 7:57 am

Fellow LH F gurus:

Has anyone noticed that LH has "enhanced" their smoked salmon and Jamon Iberico offerings in the FCT/FCL?

When I was at the FCL B last week, I noticed the smoked salmon was different (it was in smaller slices and drier than the normal Loch Fyne offering), and there was no Jamon Iberico. They did add a Gravadlax offering recently, but it is no substitute for the two.

Was that unique to FCL B, or can anyone else confirm that there is also no more Jamon Iberico in the FCT?

Also, can someone tell me if it's common FCL B gets the crappier rides to the plane. I was the only passenger in the FCL going to EWR, and yet they still used the MB van (oh the humanity) over the S-class or Cayenne, which I get most of the time from the FCT. Is it because we who use the FCL are less worthy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.