Reload this Page >

Lounges at LAX - Access, Showers, Questions, Which One? [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

See Current LAWA LAX Terminals Map and Airlines Listing Key here

Complete list of lounges with full reviews and details:
https://loungereview.com/lounges/airport/lax/

Print Wikipost

Lounges at LAX - Access, Showers, Questions, Which One? [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2007, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
More than Adequate Itermin Lounge

With the previous comments you would think the TBIT Iterim business class lounge was a greyhound waiting room. Not so. There is a wide variety of snacks, canned juices sandwiches and pastries. Also, there were beers and strong alcoholic beverages for those who demand that as an integral part of the experience. There were two computers for Internet access as well as about 200 comfortable chairs. While their were no departure screens, I actually don't have a problem with that since I prefer to look at my boarding pass and my watch to determine for myself when it is best to leave. The large room was well lit and the cleaning staff worked hard to clear any used plates and keep the place clean. A staff of two people were at the front to help with any passenger issues. The bus ride takes 5 minutes. I was there in late December prior to a 12:30am KE flight to ICN. The lounge was not crowded at all. I found a nice quiet place way in the corner to read the newspaper. Although I suppose it could get loud and obnoxious during busier times when every seat would be taken. While the Bradley terminal is not up to ICN, SIN or HKG standards by any stretch, I will take the short trip to the interim lounge any day over waiting at the gate. Some people can be a little too picky I guess, but at least for those who really hate it, its only temporary. I'm sure the lounge and terminal improvements will be well worth the wait.

Last edited by G702TT; May 3, 2007 at 9:57 pm
Old May 3, 2007, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by globetrekker84
Are you sure you weren't in a third-world country? That sounds awful and a sorry excuse for a interim lounge. Thanks for the info.
TBIT is a third world country.
Old May 4, 2007, 4:38 am

Tbit

TBIT is a third world country. Especially with half of the terminal ripped up for "renovations". It's even "nicer" now that they're dealing with the water damage from the water main break.
Old May 7, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
Just returned from a tpac trip via TBIT. TBIT is a joke, a complete embarrassment for a city such as Los Angeles. After checking in for my flight (J class on KE) , I had to then stand in another line outside of the terminal for 1 hour just to put my bags through screening. Then, off to the security check to get airside.....

I took the bus to the J lounge... Okay for an interim lounge, but still left a lot to be desired. The gate area was disgusting - I did not even want to sit down because of the filth.

Coming back through the customs area in TBIT: it is such a complete dump; what a welcome mat we lay out for our foreign visitors. Almost dungeon-like. Having been through customs facililties in HEL, WAW, AMS, HKG and KUL within the past 2 months, it is quite evident that LAX is FAR below world-class quality.
Old May 7, 2007, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Los Angeles Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 7, 2007, 7:11 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by 1worldtrader
Just returned from a tpac trip via TBIT. TBIT is a joke, a complete embarrassment for a city such as Los Angeles. After checking in for my flight (J class on KE) , I had to then stand in another line outside of the terminal for 1 hour just to put my bags through screening. Then, off to the security check to get airside.....

I took the bus to the J lounge... Okay for an interim lounge, but still left a lot to be desired. The gate area was disgusting - I did not even want to sit down because of the filth.

Coming back through the customs area in TBIT: it is such a complete dump; what a welcome mat we lay out for our foreign visitors. Almost dungeon-like. Having been through customs facililties in HEL, WAW, AMS, HKG and KUL within the past 2 months, it is quite evident that LAX is FAR below world-class quality.
Two solutions:

1. Wait a year. LAX is spending over USD 700 million to renovate TBIT, specifically targeting all the problems that you cited (except for the flying KE bit, but that isn't related to LAX).

2. Fly AA or QF out of T4, which has a beautiful lounge and clean, spacious and fast immigration and customs. Proving that LAX can be world-class quality -- it just varies with which airline you choose to fly. AA (and QF) spent USD 300 million on the improvements to "their" terminal (which LAX still owns), so the nice customs/immigration is not accidental, it comes from an investment by the airline to have better facilities for their pax.

In TBIT it is very hard to get the various airlines to pay for any improvement to this (shared) terminal, as there are over a dozen airlines involved, and they all look for someone else to pay for it. Doesn't excuse the mess that TBIT became in the past decade, but it does explain it.
Old May 8, 2007, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by number_6
Two solutions:

1. Wait a year. LAX is spending over USD 700 million to renovate TBIT, specifically targeting all the problems that you cited (except for the flying KE bit, but that isn't related to LAX).

2. Fly AA or QF out of T4, which has a beautiful lounge and clean, spacious and fast immigration and customs. Proving that LAX can be world-class quality -- it just varies with which airline you choose to fly. AA (and QF) spent USD 300 million on the improvements to "their" terminal (which LAX still owns), so the nice customs/immigration is not accidental, it comes from an investment by the airline to have better facilities for their pax.

In TBIT it is very hard to get the various airlines to pay for any improvement to this (shared) terminal, as there are over a dozen airlines involved, and they all look for someone else to pay for it. Doesn't excuse the mess that TBIT became in the past decade, but it does explain it.
If I may add something, currently some of the QF and AA international flights are clearing customs in TBIT.
Old May 8, 2007, 6:58 am

I will be on CX883 dep 2350 next week in J (with Emerald status), but it looks like I will only have access to the interim J lounge. Given this, I will probably try to arrive at TBIT as late as posible. I haven't departed through here in more than two years and I'm not exactly sure how much time is generally needed to check in / get to the gate - can anyone advise?
Old May 8, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by B-HQC
I will be on CX883 dep 2350 next week in J (with Emerald status), but it looks like I will only have access to the interim J lounge. Given this, I will probably try to arrive at TBIT as late as posible. I haven't departed through here in more than two years and I'm not exactly sure how much time is generally needed to check in / get to the gate - can anyone advise?
YMMV, but see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...73&postcount=1
Old May 8, 2007, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by B-HQC
I am not sure what time that flight departs, but if it is late night / early morning, the terminal is pretty packed with the pax heading to Asia, which means the luggage security screening can take a while. Took me an hour just for that line, then I still had to go through the terminal security check. And I was in J. There was no special J&F line for luggage screening.....(AFAIK) It really is just a cr@pshoot.
Old May 8, 2007, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Two solutions:

Thank you very much for the insight. As far as LAX is concerned, I live in Orange County, so unfortunately, LAX is my best option time-wise. I could elect to fly ex SNA and connect in SFO to Asia or elsewhere for Europe/South America. The price difference is negligible, but I prefer to fly-non stop when possible.

Though my preferred FFPs are with UA and NW, I will consider AA if the facilities are that much better at my home airport! Thanks again. Can't wait for the renovation to be completed.
Old May 8, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
If you are flying out late at night - be there at least two hours prior to departure. TBIT is a complete nightmare during this time, mostly due to the luggage screening lines. I'd seriously look at connecting through SFO. You will have a nice lounge up there, and not have to deal with the BS luggage screening lines.

I have avoided TBIT on my last two transpacs, routing QF LAX-SYD-MEL leaving from T4 instead of the nonstop LAX-MEL from TBIT, and SNA-SFO-HKG (AA/CX). The one extra stop was worth the trip through the 3rd world.

TBIT will (hopefully) be better once the new lounges open and they get baggage screening fixed. Time will tell.
Old May 9, 2007, 3:28 am

btw, TBIT baggage is now drop-and-go.
Old May 9, 2007, 10:34 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
^ Amazing. Progress!!
Old May 10, 2007, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
^ Amazing. Progress!!
thank the airlines. before tsa was stuck with the process of tagging the bag then having to identify the owner after the bag cleared so the porter could then take the bag to the counter to check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.