FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Lounges at LAX - Access, Showers, Questions, Which One? [Consolidated thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/477264-lounges-lax-access-showers-questions-one-consolidated-thread.html)

cblaisd Dec 17, 2010 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by ahs2m2 (Post 15431168)
I am looking for a lounge in LAX with day pass option, preferably with shower.

You might take a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...d-threads.html

number_6 Dec 18, 2010 11:56 pm

All the lounges at LAX are inside security, except for the reLAX lounge at TBIT -- which doesn't have showers, and really isn't suitable for 8 hours. If you were flying AA, the AC in T4 is excellent, has showers and costs USD 50 for a day pass (which also applies for your departure airport); don't think UA has similar RC in T8, but I try to avoid UA. The CX lounge doesn't offer paid access, actually that is true of all the TBIT airline lounges -- you must be flying J or have status based access. Your other "lounge" choice is a restaurant/bar, either in TBIT (not bad food there) or in the spider building (better view but not so good food). Basically this trip is poorly structured for having a good time at LAX :)

SoCal Dec 19, 2010 7:42 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 15479365)
All the lounges at LAX are inside security, except for the reLAX lounge at TBIT -- which doesn't have showers, and really isn't suitable for 8 hours. If you were flying AA, the AC in T4 is excellent, has showers and costs USD 50 for a day pass (which also applies for your departure airport); don't think UA has similar RC in T8, but I try to avoid UA. The CX lounge doesn't offer paid access, actually that is true of all the TBIT airline lounges -- you must be flying J or have status based access. Your other "lounge" choice is a restaurant/bar, either in TBIT (not bad food there) or in the spider building (better view but not so good food). Basically this trip is poorly structured for having a good time at LAX :)

Star Alliance lounge at TBIT also does not offer one-day passes? The restaurant in the "spider building" is called Encounter. I agree: nice views, but food can be okay, and pricey (we had dinner there recently; my duck was excellent, and a good deal, but my wife's ravioli-with-mushrooms was the size of a small appetizer for $22).

SoCal Dec 21, 2010 9:46 am

I was surprised to see, on the Alaska Airlines Web site, that one can use their "Board Room" clubs even when not traveling. Says it's by "special arrangement with the TSA." I don't thnk they have showers, but perhaps a club that does has the same arrangement with TSA. I hadn't heard about this before. One-day pass for the Alaska Airlines clubs is $40. The Alaska Airlines terminal is a short walk from TBIT.

N751PR Dec 21, 2010 10:45 pm

If you really desire a shower and assuming you don't have Priority Pass membership or oneworld status that allows for lounge access, it would seem that the DL SkyClub in Terminal 5 is your best bet. It's still airside and you don't have to reclear security in order to access it as Terminals 5-8 are linked together (though it's a bit of a hike from Terminal 8 and whatever you do, do NOT exit security if you want to get to that lounge!). You should have no problems accessing it even if you're not flying with them, just need to pay for the day pass and you're set.

Originally Posted by 1st Cav Vet (Post 15435085)
If you are a member of the private company "Priority Pass", they may have one or more clubs in International Terminal, but I doubt any would have a shower.

The SkyTeam Lounge is indeed one of those lounges and does have showers available. On the other hand, the other TBIT Priority Pass lounge, the ReLAX Lounge, doesn't as number_6 mentioned.

Originally Posted by skoenig (Post 15462868)
The terminal is, I believe, undergoing some renovations, which could affect what lounges are available, but I found references for a Star Alliance lounge and a Cathay Pacific lounge (I think they're separate, since the former is listed as having showers and the latter was not). Air France also listed as having a lounge there. Some airlines have regular club lounges and first class lounges.

There are 4 airside lounges in TBIT: one for each alliance and one for non-aligned carriers. Indeed, the Star Alliance and oneworld lounges are different, however all 4 airside lounges are equipped with showers). AF operates out of a different terminal (T2) but indeed it has it's own separate lounge but doesn't showers (yet?).

Originally Posted by skoenig (Post 15496136)
I was surprised to see, on the Alaska Airlines Web site, that one can use their "Board Room" clubs even when not traveling. Says it's by "special arrangement with the TSA." I don't thnk they have showers, but perhaps a club that does has the same arrangement with TSA. I hadn't heard about this before. One-day pass for the Alaska Airlines clubs is $40. The Alaska Airlines terminal is a short walk from TBIT.

That's correct, the BR doesn't have showers at all. That said, I wasn't aware of that arrangement either. The more you know! ^

nov11 Dec 22, 2010 6:06 pm

I think it's best that you use Priceline for a room at one of the hotels on Century Blvd. Worst case you'll get into your hotel room an hour after you land (including claiming your bag and taking the shuttle to the hotel), rest for 5 hours and then head back to LAX 2 hours before your flight. You can get a room (3 or 4 star) at LAX for around $40-50 a "night" - much better than spending $50 on a lounge day pass.

If you are not too tired, you can catch the Ocean Express trolley to Manhattan Beach (think it's $4 per ride) and spend a couple of hours in the city.

mgcho Feb 12, 2011 9:39 am

Star Alliance Lounge in LAX

Hi all,
I am going to BKK in May. I will fly in to LAX at night with Southwest(WN), check in at Asiana counter and fly out with 12:20 AM flight (LAX-ICN-BKK). I will have to kill over 4 hours at LAX.
How far is SA lounge from the gate Asiana flights usually depart at LAX?
Are there any good restaurant in TBIT that you would recommend?
Thank you.

obscure2k Feb 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Please follow in the LAX Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

rally Feb 13, 2011 7:09 pm

the star lounge is right after the security check on the left side of Tom Bradley terminal, you will see an elevator right as you come out of security, that leads to the lounge,

No idea how far to gate but its really not that big of a terminal and you will be right in the center,

Rally

rjpjr Apr 23, 2011 6:39 pm

ReLAX lounge TBIT

Anyone care to comment on the pay-per-stay ReLAX lounge on the food court level of LAX's TBIT? I'm thinking about it as an alternative to a day pass for one of the mainline clubs. Have about 3 hrs to kill. Know what they charge for drinks, regardless of alcohol content?

obscure2k Apr 23, 2011 6:40 pm

Moving thread to LAX Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

number_6 Apr 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Great lounge but don't buy it for the food/drinks or you will be disappointed -- better to go to several of the quite good bars at LAX instead for that! Once I was so fed up with the Oneworld F lounge (to which I had free access and has fairly nice drinks) that I paid for the ReLAX lounge instead ... for the quiet, space and privacy. Pricing is a bargain compared to the airline lounges, plus it is outside of security so anyone can use it.

QueenOfCoach Apr 23, 2011 7:51 pm

I have an alternate suggestion.

I live in north LA County and really like The Daily Grill. It's a high quality chain restaurant. I usually go to their Burbank location across the street from the airport.

A couple of months ago I had two hours to burn at LAX. I attended a class near the airport, then had to pick up friends coming home. I drove down Century looking for some kind of nice restaurant, and saw The Daily Grill in the Westin!

Wow! I turned in to their parking lot and had a nice lunch with the usual excellent service. They even validated my parking.

3 hours might be just right. Get a shuttle to the hotel, have a nice lunch, relax in their lobby, then go back. That might suit your needs, might not.

N751PR Apr 25, 2011 1:04 am

Thanks to my Priority Pass membership, I frequent the ReLAX Lounge quite a bit, mainly for arrivals as it's located landside. I use it especially when waiting for my shuttle to pick me up and take me back home to the Antelope Valley and is always nicer than spending the duration in the chaotic food court.

Drinks wise: juices in cans, a limited amount of fountain soft drinks (RC, lemonade), and bottled water is complimentary. Indeed most other beverages like alcoholic ones and energy drinks will cost you though unfortunately I forgot the pricing off the top of my head. However, as a PP member, I'm able to receive one coupon for a single alcoholic beverage though I don't know if they extend this amenity to regular pay-to-use guests.

Snack wise, they have those tower dispensers filled with Chex Mix, Cheeze-its, and pretzels. Occasionally they'll have mini sandwiches in the fridge which are not exactly filling but still complimentary. (one interesting point is that I saw those same sandwiches and packaging as a snack cart offering in my flight on SQ F ;)). One nice feature, though, is that you're able take outside food into the lounge, provided that you make sure to dispose of the tray and contents outside the lounge once finished. It's a much more relaxing alternative instead of fighting your way through the crowds and trying to find an empty table in the upper mezzanine. I usually go grab a couple hot dogs from Pinks and enjoy it in the relatively relaxing confines of the ReLAX lounge. ^

I'm curious though: what terminals are you arriving and departing from?

And I totally feel for you, number_6. While I preferred the amenities of the *A Lounge, it was always pretty crowded whenever I visited of which the ReLAX Lounge provided something quite opposite. Nowadays though, I usually use the ST Lounge as it can be accessed by PP members and is usually not as bustling as the *A Lounge upstairs. In those cases, I still use the ReLAX Lounge while waiting for the check-in counters to open.^

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 16269670)
I live in north LA County and really like The Daily Grill. It's a high quality chain restaurant. I usually go to their Burbank location across the street from the airport.

A couple of months ago I had two hours to burn at LAX. I attended a class near the airport, then had to pick up friends coming home. I drove down Century looking for some kind of nice restaurant, and saw The Daily Grill in the Westin!

While indeed there's one Daily Grill located down in Century and is easily accessible via the hotel shuttle, there's an even more convenient location: inside TBIT itself on the same floor as the ReLAX Lounge. ^

QueenOfCoach Apr 25, 2011 6:58 am

While indeed there's one Daily Grill located down in Century and is easily accessible via the hotel shuttle, there's an even more convenient location: inside TBIT itself on the same floor as the ReLAX Lounge.
True, and I should have mentioned that. The Daily Grill inside the TBIT has a limited menu. (If memory serves me correctly, it's a "Daily Grill Express".) That is an excellent alternative, should the OP not want to leave the airport.

I know the Antelope Valley well. I get my car serviced in Lancaster.

N751PR Apr 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 16275778)
The Daily Grill inside the TBIT has a limited menu.

That unfortunately I failed to mention, thanks for the correction. :o 'tis what happens when one keeps on ordering the skirt steak no matter which one he goes to. I honestly can't get enough of that stuff! ;)

rjpjr Apr 26, 2011 8:51 pm

Layover details - arriving TBIT 7PM, departing on AA (terminal 4) 11PM. Am thinking about an Admirals Club day pass which would also allow me to hang out at IAD after my 7AM arrival the next day. However, one can get a pretty decent meal with a couple of decent beers for $50..... more than I'd get in the Club for the same investment. I like the idea of going to a "real" restaurant in the airport, but my experiences elsewhere have been marginal at best. If the food court and ReLAX have decent offerings, then that's fine with me but the term "food court" makes my stomach grumble. Leaving the airport is OK as long as the transport is dependable and frequent (or a cheap cab fare).

jkearns May 10, 2011 7:42 pm

Air Pacific

We'll be flying LAX-NAN (Fiji) on Air Pacific in a few weeks. Does FJ's relationship with QF (QF owns 46% of FJ, I believe) allow us to use the OW lounges at TBIT?

I don't think OW Emerald (AA EXP) status gets us entry since we're not flying out on a OW flight. But would it get us access to the OW First lounge if the FJ/QF relationship gets us entry into the OW system?

Does the fact that this is an AA award ticket matter at all?

Thanks,

JK

pcharles Oct 14, 2011 7:01 am

Lounges in LAX

I am not sure if this is the right area to post, please advise if I would get a better response in a different area.

I will be flying through LAX with a 4 hour layover between 7pm-11pm and have access to the Maple Leaf, Air France, United UA/CO, Air New Zealand, Skyteam KAL, Star Alliance, and Swiss Lounges.

Which of these might provide better food and alcohol options? I'd prefer an open bar versus bartender and possibly somewhat better food than trail mix crackers and carrots.

The only Maple Leaf lounge I've been to is in Vancouver and I actually enjoyed it (salad and soup and open bar). United clubs' snack food is a joke. I was in a Air France club in IAD but that was 2004 and not LAX. And I've never been in a Swiss or AirNZ lounge specific lounge just other *A lounges.

I have checked out loungeguide but was looking for more insight than what that non-updated site provides.

Thanks for suggestions and feedback.

FlyinHawaiian Oct 14, 2011 7:24 am

Originally Posted by pcharles (Post 17272913)
I'd prefer an open bar versus bartender and possibly somewhat better food than trail mix crackers and carrots.

You can take the United Clubs in T6 and T7 off your list, then.

That being said, since all the clubs you mention are in different terminals that are largely not connected gateside, I would give myself ample time to make my way over to the departure terminal and clear security.

1st Cav Vet Oct 14, 2011 7:45 am

pcharles-you may get more opinions if you list your departing airline from LAX. Also, you may want to verify the operating hours of lounge.

pcharles Oct 14, 2011 8:19 am

Originally Posted by 1st Cav Vet (Post 17273159)
pcharles-you may get more opinions if you list your departing airline from LAX. Also, you may want to verify the operating hours of lounge.

Thanks!

I'm trying to verify the hours to the best of my ability. All seem to be open during the hours I will be there (evening). Loungeguide.net is not even close to current and priority pass offers very little in detailed information.

I am arriving in on DL (likely terminal 5) and eventually will need to make my way via the tram to TBIT for the flight out on FJ.

The options I considered are to either head to Term 2 that contain the AF, AC, NZ clubs - OR - head to TBIT for the *A or ST KAL clubs? Going to both Term 2 for a little while and then the club at TBIT would be fine. I am trying to prioirtize which of the clubs.

Security is a hassle but I have priority access and I can handle going through security at Term 2 and then again TB if the club in Term 2 is worth the effort. I've been flying a long time, and most other areas of the airport just no longer hold my interest. I dont shop, I prefer not to have to pay airport bar tabs if possible (its why I have club memberships to begin with). My concern is that at TB terminal, I looks as though there really isnt anything outside of the clubs to enjoy there. My travel companions will need to hit duty free before the flight, if its in TBIT, cool. That wont take long. I dont shop.

My priority pass (ameriprise) will get fellow guests in no charge and the CO PP gets at least one (if not two) additional guests in.

Help this helps?
Thanks you guys!

pcharles Oct 15, 2011 7:14 am

Hey All,
Still looking for any up to date reports, feedback, and advice in the better clubs at LAX?

Does terminal two with AF, AC and NZ better the clubs at TBIT with *A and KE?

Any advice if which are the better if the clubs at terminal 2?

And out if the two at TBIT, the better of?

Thanks Everyone.

InTheShed Oct 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by pcharles (Post 17278062)
Hey All,
Still looking for any up to date reports, feedback, and advice in the better clubs at LAX?

Does terminal two with AF, AC and NZ better the clubs at TBIT with *A and KE?

Any advice if which are the better if the clubs at terminal 2?

And out if the two at TBIT, the better of?

Thanks Everyone.

I think an earlier post asked about your departing airline. I don't think you will have access to any lounges in T2 if you are departing from another terminal. TSA won't let you pass. Most of the LAX terminals are not interconnected, except terminals 6-7-8.

VickiSoCal Oct 16, 2011 1:10 pm

You won't have access to T2 and it is not terribly convenient to T5 anyways. If you don't have much luggage, the walk from T5 to TBIT is not far at all and may be more convenient than the shuttle. I would head straight to TBIT and do any duty free shopping there and hit the clubs there.

pcharles Oct 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks for the sound advice, I will plan to follow the suggestions and head from T5 to TBIT, get through security, finalize duty free and to the club. Any preference on clubs between *A or ST KAL?
Thanks again!

jpmoore40 Oct 17, 2011 8:59 am

I've been through this thread but can't find an exact answer to my question, so sorry if this is repeated. We have a short stopover of 6 hours at LAX en route from New Zealand to the UK with Air New Zealand. We will obviously not be going through immigration but want somewhere to relax and if possible take a shower to refresh. We are only travelling Premium Economy, so want to know if there are any lounges we can access from terminal 2 and pay for entry. We will be with my 10 year old son (not sure if there are age restrictions on any of the lounges). I've tried contacting Air New Zealand to see if we can use the Koru lounge but no response yet and from the website looks like you need to be a member. Can we get into the Admirals Club for instance, and would we need to prebook? Never been to LAX so not sure how easy it is to move between terminals without going through immigration.

Thanks very much for any information you can provide.

bzcat Oct 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by jpmoore40 (Post 17287406)
I've been through this thread but can't find an exact answer to my question, so sorry if this is repeated. We have a short stopover of 6 hours at LAX en route from New Zealand to the UK with Air New Zealand. We will obviously not be going through immigration but want somewhere to relax and if possible take a shower to refresh. We are only travelling Premium Economy, so want to know if there are any lounges we can access from terminal 2 and pay for entry. We will be with my 10 year old son (not sure if there are age restrictions on any of the lounges). I've tried contacting Air New Zealand to see if we can use the Koru lounge but no response yet and from the website looks like you need to be a member. Can we get into the Admirals Club for instance, and would we need to prebook? Never been to LAX so not sure how easy it is to move between terminals without going through immigration.

Thanks very much for any information you can provide.

You won't be granted entrance to other terminals so your only choice are the lounges in T2, once you go back in security; or the TBIT Relax lounge, which is on the land side (before security). But either case, I don't think there are any showers in both.

http://www.relaxloungelax.com/

Also, you may want to check again about immigration. All travelers transiting via US airports need to clear immigration.

VickiSoCal Oct 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Not going thru immigration is not an option, you get off the plane and you go thru immigration and customs before you have access to any area of the terminal.

jpmoore40 Oct 20, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks for the info - didn't realise we had to go through immigration if we're not actually entering the country! How long will all that take roughly?

I heard back from air new zealand who said we can go into the Koru lounge for $55pp. Seems OK if we're going to get a decent amount of time in there, but if we spend a couple of hours in immigration may not be worth it.

Thanks again

bzcat Oct 20, 2011 12:14 pm

NZ1 arrives around 7:40 PM, about 30 minuts after VS and AF flights from London and Paris. Which means you will be at the back of the line for immigration and customs behind about 600 people. There will also be several smaller TACA and Aero Mexico flights arriving at around the same time. I'd plan for 2 hours in immigration and customs.

jpmoore40 Oct 21, 2011 7:04 am

It would actually be landing at 10:15am (NZ6 I think?) then taking off again for london at 4pm.

Excuse my ignorance but it seems a bit odd that we have to go through immigration and customs when we would not actually be entering the country - we would be staying airside the entire time. There's a later flight from Auckland (which we're not as the price difference is quite high) that would land at 2pm and the take off again at 4pm - how would we have the time to go through all that in between?

Thanks again.

bzcat Oct 21, 2011 8:44 am

It is a stupid US law that you have to clear immigration and customs :(
Our airports are old and they were not designed with international transit sterile areas. And post 9/11 when we went mad with security theater show, some bureaucrat decided because the law does not require airports that handle international traffic to have sterile transit area, everyone must clear customs so your luggage can be re-screened for dangerous shampoo and pointy objects. Never mind that you just came off an international flight and had your bags screened already.

VickiSoCal Oct 21, 2011 10:48 am

Originally Posted by jpmoore40 (Post 17311625)
Excuse my ignorance but it seems a bit odd that we have to go through immigration and customs when we would not actually be entering the country - we would be staying airside the entire time.

Right, but in US airports there is no control on exiting "airside" only on entering airside. You just walk right out. So if they let you into the airside area, where the shops and lounges are, you'd be free to ener the US of A with no controls at all.

OWInsider Nov 27, 2011 5:05 am

CX Marco Polo Club Related

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...e_admittance#M

If I'm MPCD, does oneworld Lounge at LAX (QF/CX/BA) recognize me as OW Emerald (1 guest) or MPC Diamond (2 guests)?

QF has nixed FFPL anytime access in Feb of this year.
BA nixed Gold anytime access in June of this year.

AM I ENTITLED to use the oneworld lounge on any airline and bring 2 guests to oneworld Lounge with my MP Diamond Card?

bzcat Nov 28, 2011 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by OWInsider (Post 17520859)
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...e_admittance#M

If I'm MPCD, does oneworld Lounge at LAX (QF/CX/BA) recognize me as OW Emerald (1 guest) or MPC Diamond (2 guests)?

QF has nixed FFPL anytime access in Feb of this year.
BA nixed Gold anytime access in June of this year.

AM I ENTITLED to use the oneworld lounge on any airline and bring 2 guests to oneworld Lounge with my MP Diamond Card?

If you are flying with CX, you won't be able to enter any other terminal besides TBIT so you can't use the AA lounge in T4. QF and BA do not run their own lounge at LAX, they use either the AA lounge at T4 or the OW shared lounge in TBIT, which is also the one CX uses. You will be recognized as OW Emerald (plus 1) at the OW lounge. However, you can try to talk to the CX counter agent when you check in into giving you an extra pass based on your MPC status.

It is my experience that the OW lounge at TBIT will not ask any questions if you show up with 3 passes for 3 passengers. They only check for admittance privileged if you are flying coach and trying to gain entrance by status (i.e. you go up there without a pass). If you have a pass, they will just waive you through. So the key here is to get an invite at the CX check in counter, rather than trying to get in at the OW lounge with your CX MPC status.

armagebedar Jan 2, 2012 7:00 pm

I have a few questions for this knowledgable group. I'll be arriving at LAX from a TK flight in PY and continuing on to SFO in UA F with a ~3.5 hour connection. I will be arriving at TBIT and most likely departing from T7. I am a non-UA/US *G. My questions are:

1) I will not be able to access the *A lounge in TBIT since I'm funneled straight to immigration; however, would I be able to enter T2 to use the NZ lounge? (I've heard being able to get past TSA with a non-T2 BP is more a function of luck than anything else...)
2) If I can only enter T7 (and the terminals connected to it), what are my options for having a shower before my next flight? My connection is too short for me to travel too far from the airport.
3) If I am plain out of luck in getting a shower at LAX, would I be able to get one in SFO (UA F to UA F connection)? I've heard the SQ SKL is strict about letting in domestic UA passengers, but would my non-US *G status and F BP weigh in my favor?

Thanks in advance!

armagebedar Jan 4, 2012 2:04 am

No one has any experience with my kind of situation? Oh well -- I guess I'll just have to try my luck as I am soon departing for LAX...

bzcat Jan 4, 2012 12:26 pm

I don't know anything about SFO but you won't be able to use the NZ Loung in T2.

Churnman Jan 27, 2012 6:21 am

LAX TBIT / Tom Bradley International Terminal Lounges

I'll be flying into LAX on AA on July 3 then going to the International Terminal, but have a good 4 1/2 hours that I'd like to stretch out/lie down somewhere before a long flight. What are the lounges like or is there even a decent hotel (that doesn't smell like smoke in the rooms) that is connected that I could get to quickly if it's worth the time?

If there's a particular lounge that's good then I'll look into getting whatever cc offer that may have a one day free access to the club lounge. Also, any ideas on easy ways to get a one day pass would be appreciated.