FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Lounges at LAX - Access, Showers, Questions, Which One? [Consolidated thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/477264-lounges-lax-access-showers-questions-one-consolidated-thread.html)

mlshanks Dec 24, 08 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by mlshanks View Post
... Can you name a "transit friendly" city that is both as large and that has as low a population density as LA?

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 10959074)
Sydney. Very similar (and sprawls to 60 mile radius, so directly similar to LA. But the difference: Sydney started out with a govt owned suburban rail system 80 years ago and built on it without building freeways or good roads (until recently). LA also started with a private rail and excellent private bus system; GM bought it in the 30s, tore up the rails and sold the right of way, and shut down the buses, while lobbying govt to build lots of roads and highways. Flash forward 70 years, govt owned rail is working pretty well and cost-effective despite the low population density, while in LA the profit motive has shifted the costs onto the public sector, while GM has done so well (3 months from bankruptcy at this point, so their plans didn't quite work in the long run). Most americans don't realize that LA started out with one of the best streetcar systems in the world, and it was the auto industry that demolished it.

I can't speak for your evaluation of Sydney, but as a historian very familiar with my home town of Los Angeles, you are vastly mistaken on the history of public transit here. While L.A. had a decent rail based INTERURBAN transit system prior to the mid-1920s, it collapse was brought on by a fundamental mistakes of the LA city government....which insisted that it share its right-of-way with automobile roads, making it run slower and slower over time as traffic congestion led to delays. Further, fares were publicly regulated and capped by the city, which led to the streetcar and interurban companies loosing money on passenger service and lacking capital even to maintain their networks. The only thing which kept them financially afloat was freight and express service...which in the 1950s began to decline due to pressure from trucking firms. The myth of GM buying LA's transit system to dismantle it is just that...a myth. (There is some basis for the argument that GM was responsible for the collapse of OTHER American transit systems, but not LA's, and it was found largely INNOCENT of this charge in the Federal courts) The larger Pacific Electric lines NEVER fell into the hands of the GM consortium....but still collapsed due to lack of profitability. When the city finally directly took over the lines as a condition of the then owner (Southern Pacific RR) abandoning service...it discontinued the remnants of rail transit, and went to strictly bus service...because it lost less money on busses than streetcars.

You can follow the various threads of LA transit history at the website of The Electric Railway Historical Association of Southern California.

Incidentally, LA public transit currently DOES NOT MAKE SUFFICENT MONEY FROM FARES TO OPERATE , requiring 86% of their revenue come from federal, state, or local grants, subsidies, and taxes. Less than 14% of their annual budget is fares collected... LINK

skywalkerLAX Dec 30, 08 4:29 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 10942292)
Basically if you're in LA, everyone is expected to drive, including tourists.

I'm all for investig in public transportation, and I've seen it work elsewhere, but sadly our city thinks differently. Welcome to L.A.! :td::td:

Exactly !

It really is a plague !

When I came to LAX as a tourist I always decided to stay downtown and then used Metro to go to different places.

The Metro system has a bad reputation here, I dont know why. Even though the ezpensive gas prices of the summer pushed more people into using it.

No idea why people think of it as dirty and shameful to use, in other cities of the size of LA it is business as usual. Talking NY, London, Tokio, Paris... of course these cities have a very extensive public transportation system which is easy and excellent to use.

MatthewLAX Dec 30, 08 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 10981907)
Exactly !

It really is a plague !

When I came to LAX as a tourist I always decided to stay downtown and then used Metro to go to different places.

The Metro system has a bad reputation here, I dont know why. Even though the ezpensive gas prices of the summer pushed more people into using it.

No idea why people think of it as dirty and shameful to use, in other cities of the size of LA it is business as usual. Talking NY, London, Tokio, Paris... of course these cities have a very extensive public transportation system which is easy and excellent to use.

I agree. I use the Gold and Red line all the time and the FlyAway bus when I got to LAX. No, it is not NYC or WAS, but the system has worked fine for me.

g-day Dec 31, 08 3:45 pm

Lounge LAX

Flyers who do not have airline lounge access like me can use the "reLAX LOUNGE" in the middle of the restaurant area in the TBIT, before security. I am there as I post, it cost me $35 for 5 hours. The price varies depending on how long you are staying. I find it Ok, just refreshments but the bathrooms are outside in the main area. There are 10 computers and only four of us in the place. If it wasn't foggy the view would be great.
I will post photo's of it when I get home on Friday.
Happy New Year, Ray

skywalkerLAX Dec 31, 08 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by g-day (Post 10990484)
Flyers who do not have airline lounge access like me can use the "reLAX LOUNGE" in the middle of the restaurant area in the TBIT, before security. I am there as I post, it cost me $35 for 5 hours. The price varies depending on how long you are staying. I find it Ok, just refreshments but the bathrooms are outside in the main area. There are 10 computers and only four of us in the place. If it wasn't foggy the view would be great.
I will post photo's of it when I get home on Friday.
Happy New Year, Ray

Very unpractical IMHO. For that money you can easily purchase a day pass for your respective airline club within the secure area. There you will also get assistance regarding your flight which is possibly the biggest perk. Nobody pays for a lounge to get a free soda.

g-day Jan 1, 09 7:09 pm

Very unpractical IMHO. For that money you can easily purchase a day pass for your respective airline club within the secure area. There you will also get assistance regarding your flight which is possibly the biggest perk. Nobody pays for a lounge to get a free soda.

Good point however I was there 9 hours befor my flight and you can only check in to UA upto 4 hours prior, thus unable to pay for the RCC.

Ray

skywalkerLAX Jan 8, 09 12:56 am

Originally Posted by g-day (Post 10995565)
Good point however I was there 9 hours befor my flight and you can only check in to UA upto 4 hours prior, thus unable to pay for the RCC.

Ray

Since when ? :confused:

number_6 Jan 8, 09 9:29 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 11033407)

Normal people (without high UA status) and needing to check a bag have had this limitation at LAX for years now. Sometimes we forget what travel is like without enough FF status.

iapetus Jan 8, 09 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by g-day (Post 10995565)

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 11033407)

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 11035304)
Normal people (without high UA status) and needing to check a bag have had this limitation at LAX for years now. Sometimes we forget what travel is like without enough FF status.

:confused: OK, now I'm confused.

I thought it was pretty standard that no one can check a bag outside the four hour-time limit (well, probably GS can ;)). In fact, I don't even think that rule is UA-specific. Or, am I completely off-base here? How high must your UA status be in order to get around this rule?

Checking in, of course, is an entirely different matter.

Eastbay1K Mar 8, 09 7:33 pm

Anyone here been in there? I saw that they are joining Priority Pass this month. (I'm probably better off just going out to the One World lounge, but if I have spare time, maybe I'll stop in for a few.)

MatthewLAX Mar 9, 09 2:34 am

Sounds like the TBIT Star Alliance lounge with a bonus of massaging chairs.

caribbean sun Mar 11, 09 7:12 am

Which Travel lounge for Priority Pass Users is preferable @ LAX?

I will be using either the new Relax lounge @ Tom Bradley international terminal or the Kal business lounge in the same terminal.

The relax lounge is landside and the KAL lounge is airside.

Comments? Opinions?

Eastbay1K Mar 11, 09 8:01 am

Relax lounge (never have been in) seems to charge for alcohol and most food. The KL lounge isn't very exciting, but "ok enough." They have limited hours, however. (You'll want to check the PP website for updates - the lounge closes mid-day for awhile.)

caribbean sun Mar 11, 09 8:25 am

Thank you! ^

Ocn Vw 1K Mar 11, 09 9:30 am

For any added suggestions or opinions, let me move this to our Travel->Los Angeles forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

g-day Mar 14, 09 11:37 pm

I was stuck at LAX on new years eve for six hours and decided to try the reLAX lounge. It was comfortable, had plenty of PCs and a good view of the tarmac. There were only nibbles, soft drinks, tea and coffee and if you wanted the bathroom you had to go outside into the public area. If I could have checked in for my UA flight I would have gone to the RCC but you can only check in upto three hours before your flight.
If you click the link to my travel photo's below and go to SYD-LAX-SYD, there are some photo's of the lounge.

Ray

skywalkerLAX Mar 16, 09 2:14 pm

No bathrooms in the lounge ? :td:

danielonn Aug 28, 09 10:38 pm

LAX ReLAX Lounge International Terminal

I was wondering if anyone here has visited the ReLAX lounge. Apparently you can access it free with PriorityPass or $10 for 1 hour $25 for 3 hours etc. I think this is an awesome deal because anyone including non travelers can access the lounge and take videos and photos of the airplanes at LAX.

How much do the alcoholic beverages cost? What is the cost of the massage? How are the food items etc? What is your experience.

The website is www.relaxlounge.com Anyways check it out.

SkiAdcock Sep 1, 09 11:41 am

Search is your friend...:)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...t=ReLax+Lounge

Cheers.

PDPhoto Oct 7, 09 12:00 pm

LAX T2 Lounges

Firstly sorry if this is the wrong place for this question, I've not found anything that answers the question elsewhere.

I'm flying from LAX T2 in early Nov on Virgin. Is it possible to purchase a 'day pass', or similar to any of the lounges in T2.

Many thanks

Paul

Fifster Dec 16, 09 2:56 pm

Lounge access at LAX

I'm going to be flying LR LAX-SJO early next year, and will have to be at LAX for a long period of time before the flight, so I'm looking to find some decent lounge access. I'm not a member of any lounges and don't have enough status to get automatic access to one, so I'll have to find one where I can purchase daily access. My flight leaves out of T2, and as far as I can tell, none of the lounges there (AC, NZ, HA, and AF, I believe) offer daily access.

My flight also leaves at 1:31 AM, and most lounges seem to close at midnight at the latest, which is probably about when I'd want to start heading for the gate.

So, I could use the reLAX lounge, which I believe is before security between T3 and T4 -- do people have thoughts on this? Is it worth it?

Alternatively, if I wanted to access a lounge in another terminal, would TSA let me past security on a boarding pass for T2? I could get a UA RCC pass, in that case -- although I've heard mixed things about RCC, I'm a UA FFer, so it makes sense. Or, if TSA lets me into whatever terminal I want, I might be able to check out other lounges. I've heard good things about AA AC, and it looks like I could buy access there.

So -- does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

deniah Dec 16, 09 4:47 pm

continental

obscure2k Dec 16, 09 5:40 pm

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Los Angeles Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

number_6 Dec 16, 09 9:55 pm

In general you cannot go airside at LAX for lounge access unless the airline operating the lounge clears you 24 hours ahead (AA does this for AC members, but not for day passes; presumably UA is similar for RCC, etc.). In any case ReLAX is landside at TBIT and is the nicest of the lounges you would have available to you, also reasonably priced. The drawback is no plumbing in the lounge (no showers or toilets). Another alternative is the Endeavour bar/restaurant (in the spider building at the center of LAX), which is better than most lounges and doesn't cost much more.

LAX Gambit Dec 17, 09 6:07 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 13003306)
...Another alternative is the Endeavour bar/restaurant (in the spider building at the center of LAX), which is better than most lounges and doesn't cost much more.

don't you mean Encounter restaurant?

Fifster Dec 17, 09 4:07 pm

Yeah, looks like Encounter.

Thanks for the tips -- since I'd like to be in the lounge rather late, I think reLAX looks like a much better option than Encounter. Hopefully it will be quieter there and I can get some work done as well.

SkyTeam777 Jan 8, 10 11:06 am

I will be coming in from Mexico on an AS flight and connecting to a DL domestic flight. Am hoping to stop by this lounge for a bit using Priority Pass. Is there any way for me to access the TBIT airside lounges that PP uses if Im flying out on DL or am I out of luck on that one. Relax doesnt seem to have free wine/beer, and I dont feel like walking through the underground tunnel to access the CO lounge if there are better options (w/food!) in TBIT!

SkyTeam777 Jan 13, 10 11:11 pm

Tried to visit the reLAX lounge today and it was closed for a private party!!! I found that to be really annoying since many people rely on this lounge for their international travels. I suspect premium pax on other airlines were given other options, but PP pax were certainly not. They should have roped off part of the lounge, but not shut it down entirely to "members" with access.

edcba Jan 21, 10 10:34 pm

Apparently Diners Club cardholders can now access this lounge for free.

SkyTeam777 Jan 22, 10 9:29 pm

Are there hours for this lounge? I refuse to believe what I see on PP now that I trekked all the way out of security to see this lounge only to find that it was CLOSED for some private party last week...I was livid, but just didnt want to deal with PP to handle it. They should NOT be allowed to do that without advanced notice IMO.

SkiAdcock Jan 24, 10 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 13237629)
Are there hours for this lounge? I refuse to believe what I see on PP now that I trekked all the way out of security to see this lounge only to find that it was CLOSED for some private party last week...I was livid, but just didnt want to deal with PP to handle it. They should NOT be allowed to do that without advanced notice IMO.

Just curious - how did you want the advance notice to occur? Email to everyone who has a PP who might be stopping by or a text to your cell phone (which might irritate you if you weren't going to be in LA), or post it on their website?

While I understand your irritation w/ them being closed (and I would be too), I'm guessing they're not closed all the time so it could be a 1-up. Given Relax doesn't seem to have free booze, perhaps the alternate would have been The Daily Grill at TBIT.

Cheers.

brooks5018 Jan 26, 10 7:35 am

how do they track how long you have been in the club? what if you paid for an hour but stayed for three?

Zarf4 Jan 28, 10 11:05 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 13177807)
Tried to visit the reLAX lounge today and it was closed for a private party!!! I found that to be really annoying since many people rely on this lounge for their international travels. I suspect premium pax on other airlines were given other options, but PP pax were certainly not.

I've used the reLAX lounge several times on PP (generally when picking up inbound friends) and find it rather average. If you have PP and are traveling, the KAL lounge airside is much much nicer, good selection of beverages, small sandwiches, fruit/veggies & dip, etc. A very nice perk is bagging a small bottle or two of some Korean brand spring water before boarding.

ahs2m2 Dec 11, 10 11:38 pm

8 hours in LAX - lounge options? Any with showers?

I am going to have 8 hours layover at LAX before departing to HKG via Cathay Pacific.
I will arrive at Terminal 8 and departing from the International terminal.
I am looking for a lounge in LAX with day pass option, preferably with shower.

I read about the reLaX lounge but are there any other options?

Orlando Vic Dec 12, 10 7:55 am

I'm not sure about the relative locations at LAX, but a Delta SKY Club-One Day Pass is a pretty good deal at $15: http://tinyurl.com/2g7q7zf

bloodyeyeballs Dec 12, 10 1:09 pm

If you want to relax for 8 hours, you should consider checking into one of the hotels on Century Blvd. This depends on your budget of course.

1st Cav Vet Dec 12, 10 4:06 pm

Terminal 8 sounds like United Airlines or American Eagle. In any case you will have a haul to the International Terminal (Bradley-Terminal 4). I will guess you will have to have a trip through TSA Security to get to International gates. If you are a member of the private company "Priority Pass", they may have one or more clubs in International Terminal, but I doubt any would have a shower.

ahs2m2 Dec 12, 10 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Orlando Vic (Post 15432333)
I'm not sure about the relative locations at LAX, but a Delta SKY Club-One Day Pass is a pretty good deal at $15: http://tinyurl.com/2g7q7zf

I will be flying United then Cathay Pacific and 7-8 hours in between in LAX.
Am i allowed to use the Delta lounge eventhough I will not be flying with them this trip?

ahs2m2 Dec 12, 10 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs (Post 15434071)
If you want to relax for 8 hours, you should consider checking into one of the hotels on Century Blvd. This depends on your budget of course.

I am trying not to leave the airport. If I factor in the time to claim baggage and the time to check in for my international flight, It's kinda pointless to spend time at the hotel.

SoCal Dec 16, 10 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by ahs2m2 (Post 15436269)
I will be flying United then Cathay Pacific and 7-8 hours in between in LAX.
Am i allowed to use the Delta lounge eventhough I will not be flying with them this trip?

I know of no airline clubs outside of security. I am pretty certain that TSA would not let you through security into the Delta terminal if you don't have a boarding pass to fly on an airline leaving from that terminal. If you want to be sure, phone Delta.

By "the internatinoal terminal" I assume you mean the Tom Bradley Terminal (several airlines, including United, have international flights from other terminals). The terminal is, I believe, undergoing some renovations, which could affect what lounges are available, but I found references for a Star Alliance lounge and a Cathay Pacific lounge (I think they're separate, since the former is listed as having showers and the latter was not). Air France also listed as having a lounge there. Some airlines have regular club lounges and first class lounges. If you contact Cathay Pacific I'm sure they could give you info, such as day pass rates (unless you're flying international biz class, in which case it should be free). I would use the lounge at your departure, not arrival, terminal so you don't have to guess how long it'll take to get between the two terminals. The free shuttle bus goes counter-clockwise (or, if you want to get some exercise, you could walk).

You could always have lunch or dinner at the Encounter restaurant, in the middle of LAX, if the times work out for you.