FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Lounges at LAX - Access, Showers, Questions, Which One? [Consolidated thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/477264-lounges-lax-access-showers-questions-one-consolidated-thread.html)

CPMaverick Jul 22, 07 8:39 pm

Excellent! ^

I am flying ANA in paid Biz next week, I beleive with *G that allows me to use the First Class lounge. When i have good lounge access, I'll generally be plenty early for my flight (especially at TBIT). I will report back my findings.

Kiwi Flyer Jul 22, 07 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 8101171)
Excellent! ^

I am flying ANA in paid Biz next week, I beleive with *G that allows me to use the First Class lounge. When i have good lounge access, I'll generally be plenty early for my flight (especially at TBIT). I will report back my findings.

Unlikely. Generally (with very few exceptions) the *G designated lounge is to the business class lounge, not first class.

CPMaverick Jul 22, 07 11:20 pm

Well, twice before I've flown ANA in Paid Business and they offered me the better of their two lounges (or my choice). I flew with others who were not * G and they didn't get that choice (but I brought them in).

I don't remember the lounge names exactly, this was over a year ago. But Paid Biz on ANA with *G got you an 'upgraded' lounge.

Not sure if this will still be the case. Guess I'll find out soon!

mwalsh Jul 24, 07 4:01 pm

Any news on the new BA lounge(s)?

ihate2fly Aug 2, 07 1:00 am

Paraphrased from the LAWA site:

Shared Use Lounge Project

Star Alliance hired Swinerton Builders to construct the lounge on the Fifth Floor, south side. It is complete; they opened July 24, 2007.

OneWorld Lounge hired Swinerton Builders to construct the lounge on the Fifth Floor, north side. They plan to be complete in October of 2007.

SkyTeam Alliance hired Illig Construction Company to construct the lounge on the Fourth Floor, south side. They plan to be complete in October of 2007.

The LAX International Lounge, previously known as the LAX Shared Use Lounge, hired Hearlson Construction, Inc. They plan to be complete on August 13, 2007.

- Hope the LAX International Lounge is open then. I have a flight out the night of August 14th. If so, will take some pics and let you know.

Kiwi Flyer Aug 2, 07 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by ihate2fly (Post 8160865)
OneWorld Lounge hired Swinerton Builders to construct the lounge on the Fifth Floor, north side. They plan to be complete in October of 2007.

Fingers crossed it is before my flight in October.

dave_SEA Mar 4, 08 8:31 am

Lounge in LAX where I can work from...

I arrive in LAX at 8:45 am and need to get online for a few hours right away. I won't have time to get my rental and into the city, so I'm wondering if there is an in airport facility that is relaltively quiet and I can get some work done.

I am AA gold, but not a member of Admirals club.

Any advice is appreciated.

YVR Cockroach Mar 4, 08 10:50 am

You're there just on a layover? Most of the lounges are airside so unless you have a BP for the connecting flight in that terminal, you can't access the lounge there. You might help by stating which airlines/terminals you're flying into and out of.

dave_SEA Mar 4, 08 1:07 pm

I'm flying AA from DFW. (Not sure which terminal this is though)

It is not a layover, howver I'm ok staying behind security until I'm ready to leave the airport.

michellemck99 Mar 4, 08 2:14 pm

I think this should be easy for you.

DFW to LAX will land in LAX's Terminal 4. Before you exit security, you'll be able to enter the Admirals Club which is inside the Terminal. Looks like you can buy a day pass for $50, which will give you WiFi access for free (info here).

LoungeGuide.Net's review of the Club is here.

Redhead Mar 5, 08 8:59 am

A day pass to the AC is your best bet. Just be sure (like all good FT'rs) to not check luggage - otherwise it'll be gone by the time you leave the club.

dave_SEA Mar 6, 08 7:42 am

Thanks...

Aside from thr AAdmirals, does anyone know if there is a quiet area in the terminal where you can sit with a laptop? In DFW, there are small SAMSUNG sitting areas that are really neat and great for plugging in a laptop and using your aircard.

itsaboutthejourney Mar 8, 08 6:06 pm

LAX is installing those Samsung sponsored kiosks, but T4 is pretty noisy and not exactly suitable for work. The AC is pretty nice, but not exactly worth the $50 unless it's a really urgent proposal. T4 is covered by T-Mobile HotSpot, but you have to pay (unless in the AC).

TheMadBrewer Mar 8, 08 6:52 pm

The Sheraton Four Points LAX has free wifi -- probably other hotels do as well. Hop shuttle and you're there. (Better after 3pm when the beer bar, TH Brewsters, is open :) )

BayAreaPilot Jun 24, 08 11:59 pm

Does Air China have a lounge in LAX terminal 2? If not, how late do the *A lounges stay open? I'm guessing nowhere near late enough for the Air China 1:40am departure to PEK.

stewardo Jul 4, 08 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by BayAreaPilot (Post 9934119)
Does Air China have a lounge in LAX terminal 2? If not, how late do the *A lounges stay open? I'm guessing nowhere near late enough for the Air China 1:40am departure to PEK.

I've never been in T2 after midnight so can't answer definitively - but I recall an Air China sign on the wall outside the NZ lounge - I assume Air China lease/use the lounge for their passengers. (there are no NZ flights at that time)

parsonstrish Oct 23, 08 3:53 am

lax lounge qf tbit and aa t4

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I'll be flying and departing terminal 4 lax onward to brisbane.

I have a few hours delay.

My query is am I able to go thru. tbit to use the combined qf/ba,etc. lounge for some of that time and closer to departing return to t4 and use the admirals lounge? My access to either lounge isn't an issue, it's going thru. security in another terminal than dep. terminal I've not done before.

Time, as I said, isn't an issue and I would leave tbit to return about 3 hrs. prior to flt.

My boarding passes are usually done at first dep., in this instance, okla. city.
thank you.

SkiAdcock Dec 17, 08 10:38 am

reLAX Lounge - Tom Bradley Terminal

Saw this in the LA Times:

"Relax, coach passengers. The sleek, comfy ReLAX Lounge, which opened recently at Tom Bradley Int'l Terminal at LAX, offers some sorely needed perks - at a price, of course. For $25 you get three hours of free Wi-Fi, Internet, beverages, snacks, fresh fruit, big-screen TV viewing and more. Through nearly floor-to-ceiling windows, you can gawk at jets taxiing between runways and, often, giant Airbus A380s, which park outside during turnarounds. The upholstered armchairs, many covered in white leather, are divine. (Alas, no couches). A nice luxury: For $1 per minute, you can buy massages in massage chairs. Because the lounge is outside security, friends and family can join you if they pay the $25 fee. Look for the lounge next to the Daily Grill on the mezzanine level of the Tom Bradley terminal. Open 8a.m. to 1a.m. daily. Info (310) 590-7581, www.relaxloungelax.com"

Cheers.

leuraflyer Dec 19, 08 5:37 am

LAX - 8 hour layover / lounge access

A group of friends have a 8 hour connection at LAX next week and asked my advice in relation to lounge access. They will be arriving from Vancouver on Alaska Airlines via Terminal 3 and departing to Fiji on Air Pacific via Tom Bradley International Terminal. They do not have access to the lounges in TBIT. I am assuming that the transfer from T3 to TBIT will not involve clearing immigration and they would remain airside. I suggested that they could purchase day passes at the Admirals Club in Terminal 4 if they are able to access T4 from TBIT while remaining airside. I have searched re transfer from TBIT to T4 without finding a definitive answer and was wondering if anyone can advise if it is possible to go from TBIT to T4 whilst airside.

Advice would be gratefully received.

HNL Dec 19, 08 8:00 am

They will not be able to access the AC in terminal 4 since they do not have an AC membership nor boarding pass for a T4 flight. There is no direct airside connection between TBIT and T4 or T3 for that matter.

I suggest they visit the Alaska Board Room in T3. AS sells day-passes.

tnj100 Dec 19, 08 8:16 am

They will clear immigration in Vancouver on departure, and arrive in T3. There is no airside link between T3 and TBIT, and no way to get into T4 for the AC.

With 8 hours, I suggest they grab a cheap rental car and spend the day in LA...

gemac Dec 19, 08 9:41 am

While I agree with the rental car idea, if they really want a lounge, why not the AS Board Room in T-3? Since they will clear immigration in Canada, they should just deplane at a gate and have access to the Board Room. Day passes are $30 each instead of $50, and I think they get free drinkies (not sure about that).

LAXjoe Dec 19, 08 10:40 am

There are better options (I'm an AC member and even I would not spend the 7-8 hours at the AC club, though it's one of their better ones), such as:

1. Encounter LAX -- kitchy, fun, and great views
2. Taxi to Manhattan Beach -- 15 minutes ride south. Petros has great greek food and MB is nice to walk around... go out on the pier.
3. Taxi to Marina del Rey -- 15 minutes ride north. Lot's of choices right on the waterfront...

Just my 2 cents..

kebosabi Dec 19, 08 11:16 am

Cabs and rental cars are expensive...there are other cheaper options that I always recommend to my friends who thank me later for giving them great "local" advice.

1. From your terminal, hop onto the free shuttle that takes you to the LAX Transit Center.

2. From the LAX Transit Center, hop onto to the Culver City Bus #6 (75 cents + 25 cents for inter-agency transfer) which will take you all the way to Westwood and UCLA. Go Bruins! (Yes, I am a Bruin). Places to visit: UCLA Bruins Store @ Ackerman Union, In 'N Out Burger on Gayley Ave.

3. After your short visit to UCLA, get on the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus Line 3 (use the inter-agency transfer you bought at step 2) from UCLA to Santa Monica. Places to visit: Third Street Promenade, Santa Monica Pier, Walk the beach sidewalk from Santa Monica to Venice Beach

4. From Venice Beach, take Culver City Line 1 and change over to Culver City Line 6 at Sepulveda/Washington (75 cents, request the free transfer ticket upon boarding Line 1) to get back to LAX Transit Center.

Total cost of trip: $1.75 per person :D

gemac Dec 19, 08 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 10935004)
Cabs and rental cars are expensive...there are other cheaper options that I always recommend to my friends who thank me later for giving them great "local" advice.

For reasons that I don't entirely understand, LAX often seems to be the cheapest place in the world to rent a car. I have paid $12.95/day there frequently, and can't remember paying over $20 per day (base rate- taxes & fees extra). Having a car gives more flexibility than relying on mass transit. I would certainly check car rental rates beforehand, and perhaps try bidding on Priceline. Try Alamo, Thrifty, Dollar, etc. Remember, the OP's friends seem willing to pony up $50 apiece to get into the Admiral's club.

Dr. HFH Dec 19, 08 12:54 pm

Eight hours is plenty of time for a great experience for FTers. Rent a car and go to the Reagan Library, about 45 minutes drive. Reagan's AF1 is there (I think that it was the last 707 before the current 747), and you can walk through it. Spectacular!!!

I did this last time I connected through LAX, connecting AA domestic to AA international. I, too, had eight hours, and there was plenty of time. I toured the entire Reagan Library, Air Force 1 wing, his gravesite, and still had time for a shower at the Admirals Club on returning to LAX before my flight to LHR.

Here's a picture.

You won't be disappointed.

kebosabi Dec 19, 08 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 10935373)
For reasons that I don't entirely understand, LAX often seems to be the cheapest place in the world to rent a car. I have paid $12.95/day there frequently, and can't remember paying over $20 per day (base rate- taxes & fees extra). Having a car gives more flexibility than relying on mass transit. I would certainly check car rental rates beforehand, and perhaps try bidding on Priceline. Try Alamo, Thrifty, Dollar, etc. Remember, the OP's friends seem willing to pony up $50 apiece to get into the Admiral's club.

Really? Since I have never rented a car from LAX, I never knew rental cars were cheap where I live. Must be the car-loving culture of LA :D

If that is the case, if you're traveling with a group, a rental car might be the way to go since you can split the tab of the rental car, parking fees, and gas. But if you're travelling alone, the bus might be a cheaper option.

tnj100 Dec 19, 08 2:18 pm

Not only are rentals practically free, but parking is as well. I can't tell you how many times I've been in LA, parked somewhere all afternoon, reached for my wallet at the parking lot booth, and been asked for $2. Or the valet wants $6. It's amazing.

The only downside to renting is that you have to pad extra time in for the car return, which on top of the extra time you had to pad in for potential traffic on the 405, could really cut into an 8 hour layover.

ldpeters Dec 19, 08 2:29 pm

I'm surprised no FTers have yet suggested the Parking Spot shuttle to the Sepulveda In-n-Out ^ -- 8 hours is a long layover, so I suppose it would be possible to eat TWO meals there! :)

I've been sent to LA on and off for work, usually living there for a few months at a time. Getting in and out of LAX with a rental car can be confusing for those unfamiliar with the area (though the rest of LA is relatively easy to navigate); this should be factored into the time crunch.

If you're willing to deal, as somebody who has been a perpetual out-of-towner in LA, I'll echo that there are MANY fine tourist options available with a rental car.

Tiki Dec 19, 08 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 10935373)

The OP is from Australia so would also have to pay CDW and liability insurance. If I have a layover in LAX, I also use public transport to get to either the Culver City mall or maybe downtown LA depending on where I want to shop. Other thing to note is baggage storage is with a private company and very expensive so best if you can check your bags all the way to final destination after customs.

kebosabi Dec 19, 08 2:50 pm

I think the topic of this thread is diverging into "what to do when you have a long layover at LAX" :D

I'll put in my share:

If you like old WWII style planes and a bunch of pictures of the now defunct aerospace industry back in the good ol' days of LA, I recommend the Proud Bird Restaurant. Take the free "G" shuttle which takes you to the Metro Green Line LAX/Aviation station. You'll see it on your left side as the bus passes by the restaurant to the intended train station. Once you reach the station, walk back to the Proud Bird Restaurant, ~5 min walk.

How to kill time if you have a long night-time layover at LAX:
Take the Thrifty rental car shuttle. 24 hour Denny's right across the street. It's part of the Travelodge there, but you don't need to be a guest there to get a midnight grub.

gemac Dec 19, 08 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki (Post 10936093)
The OP is from Australia so would also have to pay CDW and liability insurance. If I have a layover in LAX, I also use public transport to get to either the Culver City mall or maybe downtown LA depending on where I want to shop. Other thing to note is baggage storage is with a private company and very expensive so best if you can check your bags all the way to final destination after customs.

OP is from Australia, but I don't know about OP's friends, the ones who face this situation. The bag situation is another good reason for the rental car. Even if they just have carryons, a car can make the whole thing easier and more pleasant. Even if they need all the insurance, that only adds about $25/day, the whole thing should be possible for $50 for the group, they were willing to pay $50 each to get into the Admirals Club.

If I were in this situation with friends, we would rent a car and go to Duke's in Malibu if the weather was nice. But then, I really like their food and ambiance. The idea about visiting AF1 at the Reagan Museum has a lot of appeal also.

JDiver Dec 19, 08 3:48 pm

Other than a mention of the Admirals Club, this (now retitled) thread is about a LAX layover, so it will make a short trip to the appropriate Forum.

AA Moderator

clarkef Dec 20, 08 3:36 am

Add me to the chorus of those advocating renting a car. LA by bus can be daunting for those who do not know the city. Renting cars in LA seems unnaturally cheap. I guess they have fewer add on fees than many other places.

leuraflyer Dec 20, 08 6:03 am

Thank you all for your advice. I will pass it on to my friends. They are all Australians and I am not sure if all have been to LA before. I am not sure if they will want to leave the airport and risk missing their connection however some of the nearby attractions sound interesting. The Alaska Airlines lounge was not an idea that had occurred to me as my limited experience in the USA has mainly been on AA, which has been a very pleasant airline to travel on.

kebosabi Dec 21, 08 1:44 am

Originally Posted by clarkef (Post 10938344)
Add me to the chorus of those advocating renting a car. LA by bus can be daunting for those who do not know the city.

Los Angelinos are addicted to their cars. Why do you think we're the second largest city in the US but yet without any direct rail link to the airport or even a people mover at the airport? And they want us to use ONT as a secondary airport to LAX. I'm all for the idea, but there are no public transportation means to get there! :mad:

Our motto is: if we're gonna have to invest in rails, let's use that money to expand our freeways instead :rolleyes:

Basically if you're in LA, everyone is expected to drive, including tourists.

I'm all for investig in public transportation, and I've seen it work elsewhere, but sadly our city thinks differently. Welcome to L.A.! :td::td:

mlshanks Dec 23, 08 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 10935541)
Eight hours is plenty of time for a great experience for FTers. Rent a car and go to the Reagan Library, about 45 minutes drive.

45 minute ONLY IF YOU HIT NO TRAFFIC...

1-1.5 hours is a lot more likely...plus whatever time you take to rent & drop off the car.

Yes, you can make it in an 8 hour layover.....but it's roughly 50 miles away and transverses several tough freeway interchanges and bottlenecks, and unless you are used to driving busy urban highways, it's apt to be a shlep.

I'd frankly look for places a little closer in to LAX.

mlshanks Dec 23, 08 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 10942292)
Los Angelinos are addicted to their cars. Why do you think we're the second largest city in the US but yet without any direct rail link to the airport or even a people mover at the airport? And they want us to use ONT as a secondary airport to LAX. I'm all for the idea, but there are no public transportation means to get there! :mad:

Our motto is: if we're gonna have to invest in rails, let's use that money to expand our freeways instead :rolleyes:

The problem is, LA has less than half the population density of most of the cities with great rail based urban transit... Unlike places like SFO, NYC, or DC; LA has a very ill-defined "urban center" and few corridors with high population to serve. The high cost of rail infrastructure can't be justified by the amount of prospective ridership.

Incidentally, yes, there IS public transit to ONT... just not terribly handy one-seat connections. (IE: from LA Union Station take either the Metrolink San Berdo Line *or* the Foothill Transit "Silver Streak" Bus to Montclair station/transit center and change to Omnitrans Bus 80 which will drop you off at Vineyard & Holt, a short block away from ONT) Incidentally, that's 40 miles...between the two, which is NOT a short public transit route anywhere in the US.

I'm all for investig in public transportation, and I've seen it work elsewhere, but sadly our city thinks differently.
Because the objective facts are different for LA than elsewhere. Can you name a "transit friendly" city that is both as large and that has as low a population density as LA?

bestbet33 Dec 23, 08 11:39 pm

I just had a 6 hour layover so I called Hilton and asked for the cheapest day room in the area. Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn LAX for $79 which included, shuttle to and from terminal, a full breakfast for the three people in my party, some much needed rest and a shower, and a stay credit with Hilton. I finished up only being there for about four hours but I still consider it a very well spent $79 in my opinion.

number_6 Dec 24, 08 8:50 am

Originally Posted by mlshanks (Post 10955112)
... Can you name a "transit friendly" city that is both as large and that has as low a population density as LA?

Sydney. Very similar (and sprawls to 60 mile radius, so directly similar to LA. But the difference: Sydney started out with a govt owned suburban rail system 80 years ago and built on it without building freeways or good roads (until recently). LA also started with a private rail and excellent private bus system; GM bought it in the 30s, tore up the rails and sold the right of way, and shut down the buses, while lobbying govt to build lots of roads and highways. Flash forward 70 years, govt owned rail is working pretty well and cost-effective despite the low population density, while in LA the profit motive has shifted the costs onto the public sector, while GM has done so well (3 months from bankruptcy at this point, so their plans didn't quite work in the long run). Most americans don't realize that LA started out with one of the best streetcar systems in the world, and it was the auto industry that demolished it.

Originally Posted by bestbet33 (Post 10957733)
I just had a 6 hour layover so I called Hilton and asked for the cheapest day room in the area. ...I still consider it a very well spent $79 in my opinion.

LAX hotels specialize in day rooms (lots of people doing this) and it can be as cheap as USD 30. Varies a lot with supply and demand. Also several hotels have "24 hour" rates; you can check-in at any time, and your rate is good for 24 hours (so not a fixed check-out time). Rather useful for those 7 am to 7 pm connections. The Four Points does this, as does the Embassy Suites next door, several others (but less common than day room rates; day rooms must be vacated by 6pm typically).

My own choice when having an over-day connection at LAX is to rent a car and drive up PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) towards Malibu. Generally light and predictable traffic (an important consideration if you have ever been in an LA 3 hour traffic jam). Stay off the highways in LA unless you know what you are doing!