Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
No, way too tight.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
US doesn't fly to ZRH and certainly doesn't fly non-stop from/to Europe to/from LAX so it must be some codeshare (LX?). May be possible but tight if you clear immigration at one of the dedicated terminals but not TBIT. Certainly wouldn't chance it on separate tickets.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA-Gold MM, SPG Plat
Sounds like you are on a US ZRH-LAX 'direct' flight. In that case you clear customs in PHL, and board a completely different aircraft for PHL-LAX.

The connection at LAX will be a normal domestic one, and 2 hours should be plenty of time IF all flights are on one ticket. Not sure if LAX has a T1->T3 airside transfer, but even if you have to go out and reclear security 2 hours should be fine.

If you buy 2 tickets and have to pickup luggage, carry it over to T3 and checkin again, then it is very risky and I wouldn't book it.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:48 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by merlin
Not sure if LAX has a T1->T3 airside transfer
It does not
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:08 am

transiting in LAX with 10-hour layover

Hello. I have a flight from Seoul (ICN) to LAX and then have a 10-hour layover, then leave to Boston. The flight number is OZ 202, then the transit flight is OZ 6282 (operated by United Airlines). I have never had transit flights and never been at LAX. So I just wanted to ask what to expect at the airport (from landing to departing again)... And, another question: Will I be allowed to exit the airport and walk around in LA until before my second flight? And if so, how long before the flight should I come to the airport?
Thank you.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 8:45 am

Yes, you will be able to leave the airport. What will happen is that when you land at LAX, you will clear immigration and customs at that time. You will also have to claim any checked bags you may have before going through customs. After that, you can leave the airport. On the way back, you'll want to give yourself about two hours before the flight leaves to check-in (if you're checking bags) and clear security.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Welcome to Flyer Talk.

I live in Los Angeles County and know LAX very well.

Yes, you will be allowed to leave the airport. You will go through Immigration and Customs, where you will carry your own bag through Customs. After Customs, there is a baggage re-check area where you give your bag back to the airline and they will get it on the Boston flight.

Then, you will leave the secured area and be "landside", with all the greeters and other passengers.

If your connecting flight was within a few hours, you would go through TSA in order to get "airside" and wait for your connecting flight.

However, with 10 hours I suggest you leave the airport. There are plenty of hotel shuttles that can transport you to a nearby hotel. You could get a day rate at one of these places and spend your time in a nice room, with a comfy bed for quality sleep, your own bathroom, wifi and TV. This might be welcome after a long flight.

Or, if you are wide awake and ambitious, you could rent a car and drive around the area a bit.

You need to be back at LAX about 1.5 - 2 hours before the Boston flight. Just take the hotel shuttle, arrive at the terminal, go through TSA and find your gate.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
There is a forum for California (located here) along with sub-forums for LA and SFO. These will have many responses to queries just like yours, along with suggestions and recommendations on what to do and see in the time available.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Yes, you will be allowed to leave the airport. You will go through Immigration and Customs, where you will carry your own bag through Customs. After Customs, there is a baggage re-check area where you give your bag back to the airline and they will get it on the Boston flight.

Then, you will leave the secured area and be "landside", with all the greeters and other passengers.
Are there any issues with rechecking the bag 9-10 hours prior to the next flight in this instance? I know you typically can't check your bags that early for a standard US domestic flight, but not sure what the rules are around very long international connections.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:45 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
alianberd, welcome to FlyerTalk! Thanks to the members who've helped to date.
1kBill's suggestion is also sound, and I'll move this to the dedicated forum we have for Los Angeles for further discussion and suggestions. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS
I can take a few parts of your question although I don't have answers to all of the re/checking parts.

Since you're flying on to Boston you'll be moving terminals, clearing customs and "free" to tour around. That's a good thing because while the international terminal isn't bad, the airport does not justify 10 hours at all.

You'll be getting off at the middle terminal (4 I believe) and heading down to 7. It's walkable but not short... shuttles go around every few minutes that can take you down the road with your bags [assuming you have to check them again... someone?].

Expect chaos in the number of people and crowds. Ok, maybe not chaos but it can be very, very busy and the way it's designed makes things look chaotic with shuttles, cars all over. Custom lines can be short up to over an hour. Clearing security and getting to the gate for Boston needs another hour, although it's often much faster.

In between depending on how you're feeling [and the time of day] you have enough time to do something... LAX isn't next to a lot but with the help of a shuttle bus and / or city bus you can make it down to a local mall to wander around, over to a major hotel to take advantage of their lobby for relaxing or off to a restaurant for a real meal. If you want to venture further you should end up at least 7 hours to play with... even with nasty LA traffic there's time to head around.

Of course if you just want to setup shop in the airport to go online, read a book, whatever, the red carpet club in the United terminal is as good a place as any. If you don't have status on *A and aren't flying business / first it's $50 for a day pass or just take the free shuttle to the Hilton, Sheraton or Hyatt and use their lobby area to grab a snack, plugin and relax.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:22 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by alianaberd
Hello. I have a flight from Seoul (ICN) to LAX and then have a 10-hour layover, then leave to Boston. The flight number is OZ 202, then the transit flight is OZ 6282 (operated by United Airlines). I have never had transit flights and never been at LAX. So I just wanted to ask what to expect at the airport (from landing to departing again)... And, another question: Will I be allowed to exit the airport and walk around in LA until before my second flight? And if so, how long before the flight should I come to the airport?
Thank you.
Welcome to FT alianaberd!

This thread should be helpful to you:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...d-threads.html
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ted S
I can take a few parts of your question although I don't have answers to all of the re/checking parts.

Since you're flying on to Boston you'll be moving terminals, clearing customs and "free" to tour around. That's a good thing because while the international terminal isn't bad, the airport does not justify 10 hours at all.

You'll be getting off at the middle terminal (4 I believe) and heading down to 7. It's walkable but not short... shuttles go around every few minutes that can take you down the road with your bags [assuming you have to check them again... someone?].

Expect chaos in the number of people and crowds. Ok, maybe not chaos but it can be very, very busy and the way it's designed makes things look chaotic with shuttles, cars all over. Custom lines can be short up to over an hour. Clearing security and getting to the gate for Boston needs another hour, although it's often much faster.

In between depending on how you're feeling [and the time of day] you have enough time to do something... LAX isn't next to a lot but with the help of a shuttle bus and / or city bus you can make it down to a local mall to wander around, over to a major hotel to take advantage of their lobby for relaxing or off to a restaurant for a real meal. If you want to venture further you should end up at least 7 hours to play with... even with nasty LA traffic there's time to head around.

Of course if you just want to setup shop in the airport to go online, read a book, whatever, the red carpet club in the United terminal is as good a place as any. If you don't have status on *A and aren't flying business / first it's $50 for a day pass or just take the free shuttle to the Hilton, Sheraton or Hyatt and use their lobby area to grab a snack, plugin and relax.
Call the front desk of LAX hotels (not the toll-free #, but the real front desk). You can get amazing day rates, depending on the exact layover times. That gives you a nice clean room with a bed and a TV. Often for 25-30% of the best 1-night rate.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:54 pm

Ok, Thanks for the input.
I'll take a different flight and plan in 4 hours or so
Old Aug 20, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
US flies ZRH-PHL year-round, but they only fly PHL-PDX nonstop in the summer. If the US flight across the Atlantic works best for you, you can either continue PHL-PHX-PDX stateside or do something like PHL-ORD/DEN-PDX on United.

At LAX, I'd allow 3 hours minimum for a connection to a different carrier in a different terminal. It's not set up to allow easy intracarrier connections.

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
US doesn't fly to ZRH and certainly doesn't fly non-stop from/to Europe to/from LAX so it must be some codeshare (LX?). May be possible but tight if you clear immigration at one of the dedicated terminals but not TBIT. Certainly wouldn't chance it on separate tickets.
They've actually flown there since 2007 though it was initially just during the summer season, this will be I believe the second year of daily year-round service.

Last edited by phlwookie; Aug 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.