Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by sbrower
Actually, LAX is the opposite. The LAX terminals (except for TBIT) *all* have conjoined passenger tunnels between them (well, the ones on each side of the airport do).
SNAnghbr is correct.

I'll just clarify and add that there is no tunnel connecting the terminals on the north side of the airport (T1 - T3).
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: Skypass/Krisflyer
Actually, I have taken Amtrak from SD to LA and I enjoyed it. The ride along the Pacific Coast is really very pleasant, and the train was comfortable. But flying is a bit faster, and when I last left for Japan on Delta the whole thing was a breeze. The commuter flight from SD arrived at LAX T4 (4? I think it was 4) and my Delta flight also left from that terminal. It was great,just the one check in SD and the security in SD for the commuter flight was not at all obnoxious. The security folks were pleasant and quick. Security at LAX is a whole different kettle of fish. I really detest LAX security. Ah well. I'll try to change the flight but if I can't I'll do the Amtrak thing.
You guys have a lot of really useful and interesting information. Thanks very much.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:17 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Is it too much hassle going from T7 to T4 via American Eagle terminal?

Ok, so I will arrive at T7 on UA and have about 5 hrs layover until my flight to LAS on NK which uses T6. I am member of Admirals Club and would really like to relax at the club which is in T4. I know that I can use the AE remote terminal to connect to T4 but was wondering if anyone had any trouble in using the AE terminal as a connecting hub to switch buses. Is that even an issue? Thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by aw
Ok, so I will arrive at T7 on UA and have about 5 hrs layover until my flight to LAS on NK which uses T6. I am member of Admirals Club and would really like to relax at the club which is in T4. I know that I can use the AE remote terminal to connect to T4 but was wondering if anyone had any trouble in using the AE terminal as a connecting hub to switch buses. Is that even an issue? Thanks.
Generally speaking from what I have read they don't allow you onto those shuttle buses unless you have an itinerary or a boarding pass for a flight out of the of the terminal you are headed (which I believe would be anywhere you can access by the bus, in this case 3/4/AE).
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:44 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Correct. I tried but it was in vain, even using a tkt on AA. I has to be an AE flight in order for security to allow me into the bus. I guess too many flyertalkers knew about this trick.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I live in San Diego and frequently fly to Asia. Years ago I always used to take the commuter flight SAN-LAX. But with the advent of TSA it is absolutely not worth the hassle. Do yourself a favor and just do a one-way car rental and drive to LAX. That's what I have done for the last 6-7 years now 100% due to TSA harassment. Driving is actually faster to. It takes 2 hours to drive from San Diego to LAX. I don't think you can drive to SAN. deal with TSA, board a flight to LAX, make it there and off the plane all in less than 2 hours.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
I live in San Diego and frequently fly to Asia. Years ago I always used to take the commuter flight SAN-LAX. But with the advent of TSA it is absolutely not worth the hassle. Do yourself a favor and just do a one-way car rental and drive to LAX. That's what I have done for the last 6-7 years now 100% due to TSA harassment. Driving is actually faster to. It takes 2 hours to drive from San Diego to LAX. I don't think you can drive to SAN. deal with TSA, board a flight to LAX, make it there and off the plane all in less than 2 hours.
Is the SAN TSA hassle any worse than the LAX TSA hassle?

You're saying that the difference in SAN and LAX TSA hassle is worth a one-way car rental?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I think he is saying 1-way rental is worth not going thru TSA twice. And I agree with him on this point. If you have to change terminal at LAX, it is a real clusterf@&k as we all know...
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:59 am

Connecting time

Hello!

Sorry for asking this question, but really would like an advice...

We are flying Y with Swiss Air from Zurich. Landing: March 30th at 4.40PM.

Now, I need to book another flight for Hawaii - Honolulu. As I can see, the latest flight that day is at 6.00PM. Will that be enough time or us to connect? Or should I book the first flight next day and kill the night at LAX? If I miss that flight will the re-book free of charge?

Thanks a lot!

cheers,
i.

Last edited by ivek; Dec 3, 2011 at 12:18 pm
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Is the SAN TSA hassle any worse than the LAX TSA hassle?

You're saying that the difference in SAN and LAX TSA hassle is worth a one-way car rental?
It's worth it to not have to deal with the whole airport expirence TWICE. You have to deal with it at LAX one way or another anyway if you want to fly to Asia, but you don't HAVE to deal with it at SAN also. That's just my opinion. It's faster and easier to drive from San Diego to LAX than to fly. I travel from San Diego to Asia and back 6-8 times a year and haven't flown the SAN-LAX segment for 6-7 years now. It's just easier for me to drive.

For longer trips I do one way rentals and for shorter trips I just drive my own car and park at LAX. There is cheap off-site parking lots at LAX also.

And to answer the original question. If you connect from SAN, you must leave security, transfer terminals, often recheck in depending on the airline, and re-clear TSA at TBIT.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
From what I recall the MCT at LAX for INT>Dom is 90 minutes so that would leave you 5 minutes over of the minimum. Not really a good buffer. As this seems to be two separate tickets if you missed the 2nd flight they would be under no obligation to rebook you free of charge. I wouldn't do it.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
It's worth it to not have to deal with the whole airport expirence TWICE. You have to deal with it at LAX one way or another anyway if you want to fly to Asia, but you don't HAVE to deal with it at SAN also. That's just my opinion. It's faster and easier to drive from San Diego to LAX than to fly. I travel from San Diego to Asia and back 6-8 times a year and haven't flown the SAN-LAX segment for 6-7 years now. It's just easier for me to drive.

For longer trips I do one way rentals and for shorter trips I just drive my own car and park at LAX. There is cheap off-site parking lots at LAX also.

And to answer the original question. If you connect from SAN, you must leave security, transfer terminals, often recheck in depending on the airline, and re-clear TSA at TBIT.
Ah. I see. I thought you were doing your international segment with AA also.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The last non-stop departure from LAX to HNL is at 6:15 pm on CO/UA. UA also has a 6:25 pm departure to HNL with a connection at OGG.

Flights have been known to arrive late. That is peak arrival time from Euprope at LAX. Clearing customs and immigration at LAX can easily take longer than an hour and a half (LAX officials decry shortages of customs, immigration agents).

I highly recommend spending the night near LAX and continuing to HNL the next morning.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

With less than 90 minutes connection time at LAX for clearing customs and switching terminals for the last non stop of the day I would also consider staying over night at one of the LAX airport hotels and get the first flight the next morning.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:45 am

Do Lufthansa flights land at TBIT? If so, that obviously adds to the time required since you'd have to change terminals (though even if you were in the same terminal you'd have to leave the secure zone after Customs and go through TSA security to get to the gate for your domestic flight to HNL). The fact that you're purchasing the tickets separately CAN mean that you'd have to take your bags and check-in again at the regular Continental ticket counters, though if you show your itinerary upon check-in for your Lufthansa flight you should be able to get your bags tagged all the way through to HNL (you'd still have to get them and go through Customs at LAX). But it's be more certain if you'd purchased the tix together. You want to be very sure with the second airline what happens if you miss your connection: since it would be a separately-purchased ticket, albeit with another Star Alliance airline, would you just be out of luck and have to buy a new ticket (or pay a change fee), or would they put you on the next flight with available seats (hopefully the first flight the next day)? Can you confirm that in advance?

All in all, I agree with the others, to get a hotel near LAX, especially after such a long slight. You can get inexpensive hotels nearby (with shuttles) through Hotwire, Priceline, Expedia, etc., etc. Rates are usually lower on weekends, which is in your favor since you'd be there on a Friday night.

Last edited by SoCal; Dec 4, 2011 at 6:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.