FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/298911-consolidated-connecting-between-terminals-tunnels-etc-lax-merged-threads.html)

cblaisd Apr 5, 2002 4:27 pm

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Thread for asking questions or giving answers re the tunnels at LAX, transferring between terminals, etc.

mikelan6 Aug 17, 2005 9:13 am

LAX Tunnels

Does anyone know if the tunnels connecting LAX terminals 4 and 5 and 6 are open to the public?

FlyinHawaiian Aug 17, 2005 9:37 am

No, they are not.

cblaisd Dec 12, 2005 11:29 am

Transfer time from UA to HA and HA to UA? Is this enough time?

Is this enough time to transfer from HA to UA and vice versa?

Arriving at LAX on from SNA on UA at 8:15; need to transfer to the HA flight at 10:15am. (I assume that is plenty of time) on a Sunday morning?

The return is more worrisome: Arriving from HNL on HA at 8:50pm on New Year's Eve. Would a connection to the 10:10pm UA SNA flight be doable?

UAL_Rulez Dec 12, 2005 12:14 pm

Cool Flash map of LAX terminals

HA is in T2, a pretty good haul from T7/T8 - you'll need to take the shuttle bus which is a PITA because it stops so frequently but still quicker than walking. The two hour outbound connection doesn't sound like much of a challenge. On the return, do you mean SAN instead of SNA?

cblaisd Dec 12, 2005 12:31 pm

Thanks for the input :)

No, I meant the last 10pm-ish LAX-SNA flight. But I posted with not enough caffeine so maybe I missed something?

MRLIMO Dec 12, 2005 12:57 pm

cblaisd, welcome to Los Angeles, albeit for transitional purposes only.

Connecting to your Sunday morning flight should not be a problem. I'm concerned about your return connection on New Year's Eve. Your return UA flight connection could be tight, however with an on-time LAX arrival on HA and not having to claim luggage and then re-check it, it should be possible (with a little luck). You didn't mention your luggage situation. Hopefully, the airlines are transferring it?

I would suggest walking (Ground Level) between terminals rather than waiting for the Terminal to Terminal buses. Curb to curb it's about a 5-8 minute brisk walk between UA (Terminals 7/8) and HA (Terminal 2). With the wait and the frequent stops, I believe the shuttle bus would take considerably longer. There are sidewalks all the way, along with a couple traffic signals. You'll pass near Encounters Restaurant as you take the shortest route between those two terminals.

LAX Terminal Map
http://www.lawa.org/lax/terminalMap.cfm

Aloha, happy travels and best wishes with your connections. :)

cblaisd Dec 12, 2005 1:02 pm

Thank you :)

Actually, it's not for me but for a family member who is trying to decide whether to (I know this sounds silly, but....) book the SNA-LAX-SNA ticket (with a $75 CS voucher it comes out to only about $75 total, or whether to take a door-to-door shuttle from home in Anaheim (which also, I'm assuming, would total about $75-ish or so?) This family member is looking for the cheapest way that's reliable.

I too am concerned about the return, particularly given HA's horrid luggage times at LAX. I would definitely hope the baggage could be interlined but don't know if that's enough time for UA to accept it.

Anyway, right now this family member is leaning towards the shuttle (although doesn't know which one to use and hasn't done it before and the less expensive the better) but I said I'd check the other possibility too.

MRLIMO Dec 12, 2005 1:14 pm

Super Shuttle
www.supershuttle.com

UAL_Rulez Dec 12, 2005 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by MRLIMO
I would suggest walking (Ground Level) between terminals rather than waiting for the Terminal to Terminal buses. Curb to curb it's about a 5-8 minute brisk walk between UA (Terminals 7/8) and HA (Terminal 2). With the wait and the frequent stops, I believe the shuttle bus would take considerably longer.

mmmm...I think it's more like a 15 minute walk, since it takes me about 8-10 to walk from TBIT to T7. Anyway I was more thinking that one would have no choice but to take the bus if they have a lot of luggage. Without substantial luggage I agree walking is the way to go.

The return connection is dicey IMHO.

Craig6z Dec 12, 2005 3:19 pm

Follow Mr. Limo's advice, have the family member use Supershuttle. If they can get to the Disneyland Hotel, the one way fare is an amazing $15. It would be significantly higher from a home address in Anaheim though.

Less risky (and time-consuming) then getting over to SNA, hoping the flight is on time, and hightailing it over to T-2.

fastflyer Jun 30, 2006 7:11 am

Are the tunnels still closed? I need to transfer airside between T5 and T6 next week. Any ideas?

FlyinHawaiian Jun 30, 2006 7:30 am

You'll have to exit to curbside at T-5 and re-clear in T-6; sorry, I don't know any other way to do it. If you have elite status with CO/UA or their alliance partners, there are dedicated lines there.

KosherKimchee Jul 2, 2006 10:35 pm

I've heard the T5-T6 tunnel will reopen for a 120 day pilot program.

fastflyer Jul 5, 2006 8:06 am

The T5-T6 tunnel was indeed open yesterday. I was able to move between the terminals without re-clearing security. Much nicer than having to exit the terminal.