Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:52 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by meballard
6 to 1 is always an out of security transfer (especially since you have to go through Customs anyways). After walking out of customs with your bag, you can either cross over at ground level, across the parking structures, or take the LAX inter-terminal shuttle, which isn't a bad option for 6 to 1 (the terminal loop would do 6, 7, then 1, making it one of the shorter trips by shuttle).

With a nine hour layover, you should be able to get to a mall for a bit without any trouble, and you can normally check bags that early.

The closest malls would be the Westfield Culver City, Manhattan Beach Village, and the Villa Marina Marketplace. You can take a look at their websites to get an idea of what is in those locations. The Villa Marina
Marketplace has the advantage of being right by Marina Del Rey. A little bit further out you could go to Santa Monica Place, which is also next to the Third Street Promenade, and right near the beach in Santa Monica.
Thanks meballard, wikp888, bzcat

That's excellent thanks. I checked my itinerary and it does say T1, I have checked based on what you wrote, and you are correct, need a quiet word with my TA!

Because I have a large case, I guess much depends whether Copa can check my bag through to HKG from PTY, I don't know whether non alliance airlines can do that?

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

Ps, great pic of the bus, even I can't miss that!

Last edited by Beano HK; Nov 8, 2011 at 4:55 pm Reason: Ommission
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bzcat
If you want to pick up some pants, the mall with easist access via public transportation is Westfield Culver City also known as Fox Hills Mall. There is no Gap there but there is an Old Navy (the cheaper version of Gap).
There is a Gap store in Marina del Rey at Lincoln Blvd and Maxella Ave (13455 Maxella Ave).

It's a 15 minutes ride on The Big Blue Bus line #3 from the LAX City Bus Center (see above post).

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 8, 2011 at 5:04 pm Reason: Add photo
Old Nov 8, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Beano HK
Because I have a large case, I guess much depends whether Copa can check my bag through to HKG from PTY, I don't know whether non alliance airlines can do that?
Another solution if you can't check bags through is car rental, if you have a license and the bags can fit the trunk. Add a GPS you have much more time than public transit.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:07 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Thought I would just update on all the helpful answers related to my query re LAX.

First, Copa tagged my bag to HKG, so non Alliance partners can do this if on the same pnr.

Arrival at T6 was very uneventful, no queues at immigration, that took 2 minutes, guess I got lucky.

Picked up my bag, no queues at Customs, and dropped my bag off at the belt for International connections. Got the bus to Culver City, had a good wander round, Macy's had a sale on, as did a few other outlets, a couple of beers and something to eat, and caught a cab back to TBIT as I had a few bags by this time. Self checked in as the counter wasn't open at 6, no queues at security, and in the lounge with a cold frosty one in my hand by ten past.

All in all a good experience, made that bit easier thanks to you guys help.

Thanks^
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:11 am

Programs: Skypass/Krisflyer
LAX terminals

If you go through security in San Diego and then arrive at terminal 4 at LAX, do you have to go through security again to get an international flight from the Bradley terminal? Is anyone familiar with the LAX setup? Can you get from 4 to Bradley without messing around with security again? Any info much appreciated.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:58 am

Programs: QFF
Depends on which carrier you are on for the connecting flight.

There are buses that go to TBIT from T4, but they are only for QF pax.

It appears that in most cases at most US airports, changing terminals means dealing with TSA again.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:30 am

I'm catching a Korean flight to Japan. I'm sorry, I don't know what QF pax means. ??
Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:38 am

QF is the IATA code for Qantas. Just as KE is the code for Korean Air.

Since you are flying into T4, I assume you are getting to LAX on American Eagle.
American Eagle uses a remote terminal and buses passangers to gate 44 in T4. Since you are connecting to Korean, you will have to leave the terminal and transfer to TBIT on the land side before reclearing TSA in TBIT.
There is a shuttle bus connecting all terminals, or you can walk. T4 is next to TBIT and is a 2-5 minute walk.

They are building a secure T4-TBIT connector as part of the upgrades and extention of the international terminal, but this will not be open for some time.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:07 pm

Thank you for the detailed and very useful information. Yes, you're right , it would be AA.

I'm going to have to change my itinerary. I don't want to start such a long journey with the double aggravation of two security checks.

I don't understand the security system in the US. No other country I have been in has such an awkward and annoying system. Considering that people coming into the US from abroad do not get anything like the going over at their departure airports that US citizens get in their own airports, it makes me wonder about the usefulness of the US system.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:34 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Just take a shuttle (or the Amtrak, if you're adventurous) to LA.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by kavade
I'm going to have to change my itinerary. I don't want to start such a long journey with the double aggravation of two security checks.

I don't understand the security system in the US. No other country I have been in has such an awkward and annoying system. Considering that people coming into the US from abroad do not get anything like the going over at their departure airports that US citizens get in their own airports, it makes me wonder about the usefulness of the US system.
Alas, if you want to go out of LAX then, you'll have to ground transport up there; the only two airlines flying to Seoul both operate out of TBIT, so you'll have to clear TSA there. The only other options would be to take United via SFO or a combination of Alaska and Korean over Seattle.

Sadly, back in the days that most airports were designed, security wasn't even on the radar; hence you often have disjointed terminals (such as LAX) where, when they were built, clearing security is nothing like it is today in 2011. Most newer-build airports allow transfers to all gates beyond a checkpoint, but that simply wasn't a concern in the 1950s and 1960s, when most traffic was geared towards local traffic and reclearing security wasn't even a concept.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by mersk862
Sadly, back in the days that most airports were designed, security wasn't even on the radar; hence you often have disjointed terminals (such as LAX) where, when they were built, clearing security is nothing like it is today in 2011. Most newer-build airports allow transfers to all gates beyond a checkpoint, but that simply wasn't a concern in the 1950s and 1960s, when most traffic was geared towards local traffic and reclearing security wasn't even a concept.
Although, I would have thought that SFO would fix that as they redevelop each terminal. Alas, the public parts of the airside are still not connected, despite being the same building.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Could you fly into Seattle from San Diego? At Sea-Tac, you would have to change terminals but can stay inside security the entire time.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by mersk862
Actually, LAX is the opposite. The LAX terminals (except for TBIT) *all* have conjoined passenger tunnels between them (well, the ones on each side of the airport do). They were closed *because* of security, because when TSA started with the concept of "terminal dumps" they had to dump 4, 5, 6 & 7 (which were conjoined) every time, and that was too much trouble and/or too embarassing.

So, at LAX, security is the *cause* of the lack of connection.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
Actually, LAX is the opposite. The LAX terminals (except for TBIT) *all* have conjoined passenger tunnels between them (well, the ones on each side of the airport do). They were closed *because* of security, because when TSA started with the concept of "terminal dumps" they had to dump 4, 5, 6 & 7 (which were conjoined) every time, and that was too much trouble and/or too embarassing.

So, at LAX, security is the *cause* of the lack of connection.
Not entirely true. At LAX currently T5,6, 7 & 8 are connected behind security. T8 can only be accessed through T7. T7 & T6 are connected by a above ground connector. T6 & 5 are connected by a tunnel between the satellites. T4 & 5 do have a tunnel but it is currently closed. There is a shuttle bus you can take between T5 & T3 and between T4 & T3. Alaska is currently running a shuttle between T3 & 2 because they are have several flight out of T2.

In the future the TBIT expansion will construct connectors between T4 and TBIT and between TBIT and T3. Also there is some chatter on the airport board to connect T3,T2 &T1 behind security

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.