Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by vincepoy
Thanks TWA884 for the details! I guess I'll put it into consideration after I return from my trip to Australia as I'm flying on Nov 5th from SFO to MEL via LAX and SYD so there isn't enough time for the processing, etc.
You are welcome.

I'd like to add that having read 14940674's post, I did some research and found the following:
NEXUS and SENTRI Members May Utilize the Global Entry Kiosks

(01/03/2011)

All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the automated kiosks for entry at participating airports. NEXUS members will need to check their status in their Global Online Enrollment System account, as they may need to submit their 10-fingerprints or any other necessary documentation in order to receive Global Entry benefits. ( GOES )

U.S. citizen and lawful permanent resident SENTRI members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the automated kiosks for entry at participating airports. SENTRI members will need to check their status in their Global Online Enrollment System GOES account, as they may need to submit their 10-fingerprints or any other necessary documentation in order to receive Global Entry benefits. ( GOES )
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:58 pm

Thanks 14940674 and thanks again TWA884 for the detailed information!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
If OP can.. get the card that allows fast pass through immigration..
Global Entry is not going to help PatMike make his domestic to international connection. He is not passing through immigration on his way to Fiji.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by PatMike
Arrive on Delta (T5) at 7:25 pm - Saturday night. Air Pacific flight to Fiji was moved up from 10:30 pm to 9:30 pm. I'm thinking about just taking my 22" Kirkland carry-on and no checked baggage.

Basically now a 2 hour connection instead of a comfortable 3.
Even though it is a short walk between terminals, I'm worried.
I have had bad luck with Delta, and also with LAX connections.
Like an idiot, I booked a RT ticket to and from LAX, so I can't just skip the 1st leg and take a Southwest flight (like I should have in the first place but I wanted the SkyMiles and Skybonus points).
To make matters worse, I'm flying economy.

I may be able to do a same day flight change 3 hours in advance of an earlier flight for $50, if there are available seats.

Suggestions ???
Thanks.
Don't have good Delta karma and this is the last flight of the day.
I purchased some of these tickets with vouchers from our last cancelled Delta flight...
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay the Delta change ticket fee to cancel our outbound and keep the return flight, get a Southwest flight to LAX that arrives at 3pm and do the $27 Priority Pass lounge visit for 5 hours.
Flights would be a net cost to us of $196 for peace of mind and we won't have to rush to TBIT so we'll be able to bring a checked bag with some snorkeling gear and boxed wine.

P.S. I hate LAX
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bzcat
Global Entry is not going to help PatMike make his domestic to international connection. He is not passing through immigration on his way to Fiji.
I don't profess to have experience with the cards..

I saw the advertising clearly, standing in line 3 hours at LAX customs and immigrations.

Had lots of time to read.. "why wait, get the pass and go" type of advertisements.. making me wish that I've applied for one of these cards.

I was coming in from CUN into LAX..
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:29 pm

LAX inter-terminal transfers

If arriving LAX Terminal 3 how does one get to Terminal 5 while staying in the secure zone or without having to go back thru a security check?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
There's an airside shuttle between T2, T3, T4, and T5 (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16062108-post4.html). There's a tunnel between T4 and T5, but it's been closed for some time.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by mjhanch
If arriving LAX Terminal 3 how does one get to Terminal 5 while staying in the secure zone or without having to go back thru a security check?
As far as I know, you can't.

But, then again, FlyerChrisK may be right and I may be wrong. Next time I'm there, I'll ask about it.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Nov 2, 2011 at 7:21 pm
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
As far as I know, you can't.

But, then again, FlyerChrisK may be right and I may be wrong. Next time I'm there, I'll ask about it.
Our Family has travelled through LAX 10+ times over the years, and I can't recall being able to stay behind security and travel to different terminals..

Each time, we've had to exit outside of security and once arrived at the terminal, we would have to get in line, and go through security check..

If there is a way to stay behind security, then I've learned something today..
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
See this thread from earlier this year about airside transfers from T3 to T5

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...delta-lax.html

and from this page (can not say if it's current or not somebody who has done it recently can chime in)

http://www.flyertalk.com/airports/lax/information/

4) How do I transfer between terminals?

Airside Connections:

There are some terminals that are connected behind security, though sometimes it may take some effort.

T8 can only be accessed from T7.

T6-T8 are connected by a pedestrian walkway just past the checkpoints.

T5-T8 are connected via tunnels behind the checkpoints.

T2-T5 are connected via shuttles to the American Eagle satellite terminal.

While not officially connected together, you can board the shuttle to the AE satellite, get off when you arrive, then wait for the shuttle to the terminal you want. Generally, the guards want you to show a BP for Eagle, but if you have a BP/printed itinerary for another airline and you explain why you want to take the shuttle, they'll let you on.

T2: Boards beside gate 22A

T3: Boards beside gate 35 (see updated footnote when you scroll over the map here) NOTE: AA still has not updated their map; however, it's taken AS a long time to realize this update happened over two years ago as well

T4: Board at Gate 44

T5: Board at Gate 52 (perhaps 52A... can anyone confirm?)

All other intraterminal transfers will require you to leave the security, then get rescreened when you arrive. Because of this, please be sure to book a long enough layover at LAX should you need to change terminals.

Last edited by cordelli; Nov 2, 2011 at 8:46 pm
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:33 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow in the Travel->Los Angeles forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:27 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
I'm hoping one of the regulars on this forum can help me out here. I arrive tomorrow on Copa into T6 at LAX at 1325. I have a later flight at 2220 on CX at 2220 from T1.

Do I have enough time to get to a local mall somewhere nearby ( Gap etc for some trousers etc), and can I check my bag early or do I have to lug it along with me? This would be a real pita btw.

I'm also assuming to get from 6 to 1 is easy enough if the above isn't realistic. I'm just mindful of clearing immigration, customs etc both ways.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Beano HK
I'm hoping one of the regulars on this forum can help me out here. I arrive tomorrow on Copa into T6 at LAX at 1325. I have a later flight at 2220 on CX at 2220 from T1.

Do I have enough time to get to a local mall somewhere nearby ( Gap etc for some trousers etc), and can I check my bag early or do I have to lug it along with me? This would be a real pita btw.

I'm also assuming to get from 6 to 1 is easy enough if the above isn't realistic. I'm just mindful of clearing immigration, customs etc both ways.
6 to 1 is always an out of security transfer (especially since you have to go through Customs anyways). After walking out of customs with your bag, you can either cross over at ground level, across the parking structures, or take the LAX inter-terminal shuttle, which isn't a bad option for 6 to 1 (the terminal loop would do 6, 7, then 1, making it one of the shorter trips by shuttle).

With a nine hour layover, you should be able to get to a mall for a bit without any trouble, and you can normally check bags that early.

The closest malls would be the Westfield Culver City, Manhattan Beach Village, and the Villa Marina Marketplace. You can take a look at their websites to get an idea of what is in those locations. The Villa Marina Marketplace has the advantage of being right by Marina Del Rey. A little bit further out you could go to Santa Monica Place, which is also next to the Third Street Promenade, and right near the beach in Santa Monica.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Beano HK

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks
CX leaves from Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT), not T1. It is to the left when you exit T6. CX check-in counters open 3 hours before flight time. You will have enough time to go to any shopping mall in Los Angeles. Google "Shopping malls near LAX" and you will find many suggestions.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Someone already mentioned CX departure from TBIT not T1... make sure you go to the right place!

From T6 to TBIT, it is usually faster to walk. It will take about 7 or 8 minutes. Exit T6, turn left and walk past T5 and T4. You can also wait for Shuttle Bus A at T6 to take you to TBIT but they come at random intervals (there are no published schedules) and it goes the long way back to TBIT. It will take you at least 20 minutes to get to TBIT if you wait for the bus (counting likely wait time and travel time)

Google Map instruction on walking from T6 to TBIT

If you want to pick up some pants, the mall with easist access via public transportation is Westfield Culver City also known as Fox Hills Mall. There is no Gap there but there is an Old Navy (the cheaper version of Gap). There is also a Target and Macy, both of which will have what you are looking for at reasonable prices.

Take the Culver City Bus #6 from LAX Bus Center which stops at Fox Hills Mall Transit Center, which as you can tell, it is located at the Mall.

1. Take LAX Shuttle bus C from any terminal to the LAX Parking Lot C/City Bus Center, walk over to bus depot and wait for a Green bus to arrive.
2. Make sure the headsign says "6 UCLA/Sepulveda Bl" which is the north bound bus. This is the one you want. The south bound bus will say "6 Green Line Aviation/LAX". You don't want that one.
3. Deposit $1 (there is a place for you to put your luggage in front if you can't check it in)
4. Fox Hills Mall is about 20 to 25 minutes ride away depending on traffic. The bus will pull into the bus center and you will see the mall on the other side of the parking lot.
5. Reverse for trip back to LAX.

Culver City Bus #7088 by MetroBusRider14, on Flickr

Google Map instruction for bus

Last edited by bzcat; Nov 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.