Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:44 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, tenacioustins. There is a forum which is dedicated to LAX. Please see: Travel and Dining>United States>Los Angeles.
I am moving this thread to the Los Angeles Forum.
All best wishes...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Welcome to Flyertalk, tenacioustins. There is a forum which is dedicated to LAX. Please see: Travel and Dining>United States>Los Angeles.
I am moving this thread to the Los Angeles Forum.
All best wishes...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Thank you...the forum seemed a bit overwhelming to me and as I am not a FF or have any sort of program, I wasn't sure where this should be. Thanks again! ^
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:50 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

So today I was doing SFO-LAX-Tucson on UA and the LAX-Tucson leg got canceled. They protected elites on an American Eagle flight two hours later -- there was an advantage to being elite, and although it took a longish walk (from T8 to T5) and two shuttle rides (from T5 to T4 and then T4 to American Eagle), we got there without having to leave airside. Might have even worked to go from T5 to American Eagle had we thought to ask.

I see this is documented above, but I didn't have decent internet access to look through FT and didn't know, I was just determined not to leave airside unless it was absolutely necessary.

I did ask an airport cop, a United agent, and two TSA people along the way and they all denied it could be done. So much for local knowledge!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by tenacioustins
I get the walking to TBIT but what about the departures level? I can get to the ticketing level ok but that doesn't take me to departures. I didn't notice much for signs other than the obligatory "ticketing and departures levels up" type of signs. I tried asking last year and everyone that I asked (this is personnel we're talking about too! lol) looked at me like I was dumb and just told me to go to departures. Didn't tell me HOW to get there. There didn't appear to be any way "up" to me but again, very very very hazy coming off the flight. I probably will have time between my flights on the way over to walk over to T4 from T3 so I might get a better look.
Sorry for my misunderstanding, but what is the departures level? and how does it differ from the ticketing level? There are three floors to T4, arrivals downstairs, and ticketing counters one level up. The actual gates are one level up from that, but there are easily found escalators that take you up there. Is this what you're referring to?

I spend a lot of my time at LAX T4, so maybe I can help if you're a bit more specific.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I know T4 very well.

Let's be sure we're talking about the same thing. At LAX, there are two main levels: arrivals and departures. They are signposted as such as you arrive by car, bus, shuttle, etc.

Arrivals are on on the ground floor. Passengers arriving walk out of the plane, down the concourse a bit, then, eventually, down some escalators to Baggage Claim. Upon exiting Baggage Claim, they are on the ground floor of the airport, where they are picked up by a car, shuttle, bus, etc.

The Departure/Ticketing level is one level up. Automobile traffic is on a raised motorway passing by the Departure/Ticketing level, dropping off passengers. This is where the passengers check in, leave their bags, buy tickets, etc. I believe the OP is referring to this as the "Ticketing Level", but it is signposted at LAX as "Departures".

Once the passenger has checked in, obtained a boarding pass, checked their luggage, they go up one more level via escalators. In LAX T4, now, there are two distinct areas for ticketing. One is on the west side of the terminal (to your right as you stand on the road facing the terminal). That is for the general public or "non-elites". They check in, then go up an escalator and wait in line for TSA.

The other area is for Priority Access, elites, first class, etc. That is on the east end of the terminal (to your left as you stand on the road facing the terminal). Those elites check in, then go up an escalator located right up next to the wall nearest the roadway, turn right, then go to an "elite" TSA area.

The TSA screening and departure gates are on what the OP is calling the "Departure Level", one level above the floor where ticketing and checking-in takes place.

Yes, there are three levels. Arrivals on the ground, Departures/Ticketing in the middle and the TSA screening and departure gates on the top.

There are two elevators, available for handicapped and other "special" passengers. I know both, as I sometimes travel with my disabled husband.

One elevator is located right next to the non-elite escalator. The other elevator is located to the far left of the elite ticketing counter (left as you are standing looking at the ticketing counter, back to the roadway) and it fits the OP's descripion of "tucked away". The "non-elite" (west side) elevator puts you right in the middle of the TSA line. The "elite" (east side) elevator puts you right at the head of the "elite" security screening. Since elevators supposed to be used only for handicapped people, typically the security line-minders will allow someone arriving by elevator to move to the head of the line. This is inconsistant, in our experience.

The "elite" elevator at the east end of the terminal is also used, now, for "Flagship Service" passengers, that is super-elites. Flagship Service people are paying $$$ for the service. Upon arriving on that elevator, the passenger is to be admitted to the TSA screening at the head of the line.

OP, you might want to make a little pencil drawing of this, based on my description. There is one more CONFUSING aspect to this. Remember how I said east is elite, west is non-elite? They switched them around last year. East used to be non-elite, west used to be elite. Depending on when was your last visit to T4 you might remember it exactly opposite to what I described. Trust me, it is now east-elite, west-non-elite. In other words, the non-elite section is closest to TBIT; the elite section is farther away, closer to T5.

OK, where was your elevator? I suspect you got the "elite" elevator at the east end of the terminal, somehow, and ended up in the security screening at the east end. Exiting the security screening, did you walk down a hall with office doors, etc., along the way? Then, did you notice another screening area to your right as you entered the main concourse? If so, that means you did go through the east (elite) screening area. If your experience was before summer of this year, that very same elevator would have served the non-elites.

Having said all this, here are my suggestions:

Virgin America lands in terminal 3 at LAX. What do I need to do? Walk to TBIT?
I would just walk, unless you have some walking-related handicap like my husband does. T3 is adjacent to TBIT and you might enjoy being out in the sunshine for the short distance between the two.

You can walk on either the departure or arrivals level on a sidewalk adjacent to the roadway. Once in TBIT, you can take an elevator up to the departure/ticketing level. Elevators are located on the wall nearest the roadway, and in the corner near T3.

SO. What is the fastest way to get from TBIT to T4 departures level?
You will arrive from Australia in TBIT Customs, which is on the Arrival level or the ground floor. Find the elevator or an escalator within TBIT to get yourself up to the Departures level. (You might want to use the same elevators I just described, near the roadway and in the corner near T3.) Once you are on the Departure/Ticketing level of TBIT, leave the terminal, turn RIGHT on the sidewalk and just follow the sidewalk adjacent to the motorway to T4 which is right next door. Again, the sunshine will feel good after a long trip.

Enter T4 in one of the west terminal doors. It doesn't matter which one. Then, if you need a new boarding pass, go to the ticketing area and get one. If you have a boarding pass already, then just go up the first escalator you see and you will be in the non-elite security queue. Past that are the depature gates. A line-minder should check your boarding pass and ID (passport/DL) before allowing you up the escalator. I am assuming you are not elite.

If you are elite and want to use the elite screening, then walk (way) down to the east escalator and go up that one. Personally, even if elite I would probably just stay on the west end and save the shoe leather, unless the non-elite lines look horrendeously long.

Enjoy your brief time at LAX. Within T4 there is an Admirals Club lounge. If you are whacked out from your long flight in from Oz, you might consider buying a Day Pass to the lounge, which is $50. You might find $50 a good deal for a quiet place to relax, take a shower, snooze or go online. Anyone can get a Day Pass for $50, elite or non-elite.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: QF Silver
Lots of good info here but didn't see the long-haul carrier & wanted to confirm that if you'll be flying Qantas LAX to MEL nonstop on QF 94 TBIT is correct. Qantas LAX to MEL via AKL (QF 16) departs from T4, Virgin Australia departs T3, and ANZ departs T2.

QueenOfCoach has a very detailed description but since almost all Oz flights depart 10pm - 12mid I hope you don't get to enjoy too much sunshine during your layover

Yes there is power in T4. IIRC there aren't any convenient ones at the end gates (in a circular config), but if you step into one of the low-number 40 gate areas there are outlets against the wall but you may have to sit on the floor to guard your equipment.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I know T4 very well.

The Departure/Ticketing level is one level up. Automobile traffic is on a raised motorway passing by the Departure/Ticketing level, dropping off passengers. This is where the passengers check in, leave their bags, buy tickets, etc. I believe the OP is referring to this as the "Ticketing Level", but it is signposted at LAX as "Departures".
That is probably what I am referring to. According to the LAX map, there appear to be 3 levels with the ticketing/departure being on the second. This is the map I am referring to. There's a lower level and an upper level of roadway. I was on the lower both years.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LAX/pdf/T4.pdf

Both years I was on the arrivals level. The second year I went up an outside escalator to the ticketing level. And was still confused

The TSA screening and departure gates are on what the OP is calling the "Departure Level", one level above the floor where ticketing and checking-in takes place.

Yes, there are three levels. Arrivals on the ground, Departures/Ticketing in the middle and the TSA screening and departure gates on the top.

There are two elevators, available for handicapped and other "special" passengers. I know both, as I sometimes travel with my disabled husband.

One elevator is located right next to the non-elite escalator. The other elevator is located to the far left of the elite ticketing counter (left as you are standing looking at the ticketing counter, back to the roadway) and it fits the OP's descripion of "tucked away". The "non-elite" (west side) elevator puts you right in the middle of the TSA line. The "elite" (east side) elevator puts you right at the head of the "elite" security screening. Since elevators supposed to be used only for handicapped people, typically the security line-minders will allow someone arriving by elevator to move to the head of the line. This is inconsistant, in our experience.

The "elite" elevator at the east end of the terminal is also used, now, for "Flagship Service" passengers, that is super-elites. Flagship Service people are paying $$$ for the service. Upon arriving on that elevator, the passenger is to be admitted to the TSA screening at the head of the line.
Ahhh now that makes sense. The elevator was on the right side of the terminal and it looked hardly used by anyone. I felt bad for being in the wrong place but it was confusing indeed. I was through security in about 5 minutes with only a couple people in front of me so I knew something was wrong LOL! Once I got off the elevator, some dude was standing there and the line was literally RIGHT there.

OP, you might want to make a little pencil drawing of this, based on my description. There is one more CONFUSING aspect to this. Remember how I said east is elite, west is non-elite? They switched them around last year. East used to be non-elite, west used to be elite. Depending on when was your last visit to T4 you might remember it exactly opposite to what I described. Trust me, it is now east-elite, west-non-elite. In other words, the non-elite section is closest to TBIT; the elite section is farther away, closer to T5.
Uh, yeah, I think I'll make a drawing of that if I can or at least study the map a bit. I don't remember much from last year, other than finding the escalator. This is the video I took walking from TBIT to T4. After I went up that escalator, there was the massive line of people. First I went inside, but there were barriers everywhere and all I could see was ticketing counters so I went back out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNzMFeX4VaU

Having said all this, here are my suggestions:

I would just walk, unless you have some walking-related handicap like my husband does. T3 is adjacent to TBIT and you might enjoy being out in the sunshine for the short distance between the two.

You can walk on either the departure or arrivals level on a sidewalk adjacent to the roadway. Once in TBIT, you can take an elevator up to the departure/ticketing level. Elevators are located on the wall nearest the roadway, and in the corner near T3.
Yes, that is what I plan on doing. I don't have any issues walking and I will only have a laptop backpack with me. I know the inside of TBIT well on the arrivals level so I don't think I will have a problem with that. It will be late at night...something like landing at 9:30ish and my next flight is at 11:30pm but the air will be good since my next flight will be over 15 hours.

You will arrive from Australia in TBIT Customs, which is on the Arrival level or the ground floor. Find the elevator or an escalator within TBIT to get yourself up to the Departures level. (You might want to use the same elevators I just described, near the roadway and in the corner near T3.) Once you are on the Departure/Ticketing level of TBIT, leave the terminal, turn RIGHT on the sidewalk and just follow the sidewalk adjacent to the motorway to T4 which is right next door. Again, the sunshine will feel good after a long trip.
Yes, I am familiar with arriving at TBIT...normally we have to go through immigration with ridiculously long lines and then pick up baggage and recheck it. Then walk out of TBIT and go to T4. So instead of walking out, after rechecking baggage, do I then find an elevator close by? That whole process is a little fuzzy to me but I am sure I will find it.

Enter T4 in one of the west terminal doors. It doesn't matter which one. Then, if you need a new boarding pass, go to the ticketing area and get one. If you have a boarding pass already, then just go up the first escalator you see and you will be in the non-elite security queue. Past that are the depature gates. A line-minder should check your boarding pass and ID (passport/DL) before allowing you up the escalator. I am assuming you are not elite.
Correct...I am just a normal passenger Now to find the west terminal doors. I *think* last year the people lined up outside who were also on my flight and connecting with AA or AE probably were going through those west terminal doors and that's why it was taking SO LONG.

Thank you thank you thank you SO MUCH for your detailed help. Lots to think about and be aware of next time. The last time it was "look for the escalators outside and take one up." This year it will be "look for the escalators/elevators INSIDE and take one up" LOL!

Originally Posted by Zarf4
Lots of good info here but didn't see the long-haul carrier & wanted to confirm that if you'll be flying Qantas LAX to MEL nonstop on QF 94 TBIT is correct. Qantas LAX to MEL via AKL (QF 16) departs from T4, Virgin Australia departs T3, and ANZ departs T2.
Yes. My itinerary is this: taking Virgin America flight 367 from BOS to LAX on March 7th leaving at 5:40 or whenever that flight leaves and landing at 9:10pm approximately. Next flight is QF94 leaving at 11:30pm. Flight back is QF93 leaving at 9:35am on April 18th, due to land at LAX at 6:55am LA time on the 18th (weird how that works lol!). Then I will take AA flight 264 back which doesn't leave until 11:50am so pleeeeeeennnnntttyyyyyy of time to chill and make this work even with going through immigration/customs/whatever.

Originally Posted by Zarf4

Yes there is power in T4. IIRC there aren't any convenient ones at the end gates (in a circular config), but if you step into one of the low-number 40 gate areas there are outlets against the wall but you may have to sit on the floor to guard your equipment.
Hallelujah. I'll keep an eye out for that. I walked the entire terminal looking for power and didn't find anything at all but being that I was hungry and delirious I wasn't exactly with it. I usually sit on the floor anyway so that doesn't bother me. I'm young (24) so I can pretty much do whatever I want.

Thank you all for your help...this means a lot to me. And hopefully I won't be as confused next trip.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:04 pm

I should add that I will have my boarding pass already with me as I obtain both of them at the Melbourne Airport.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:11 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Departures are upstairs. When you get to TBIT, go up the stairs or elevator.

Don't worry so much, you'll be fine.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:31 pm

I know I also said there are three levels, but there are four if you include the AC.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:31 pm

Lol. I try not to. But since I seemingly failed both years, and I don't wish for it to reoccur I kind of naturally worry. I'm sure after this year I will have it down pat since I"ve gotten great tips here.

I guess I just didn't see elevator or stairs or rather, didn't know to look for them! So...now I will.

I'm sure everything will be fine. I'd just like to not be lost this time!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
That is probably what I am referring to. According to the LAX map, there appear to be 3 levels with the ticketing/departure being on the second.
http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LAX/pdf/T4.pdf

Both years I was on the arrivals level. The second year I went up an outside escalator to the ticketing level. And was still confused
Exactly. The LAWA map does indeed show the three levels, just as I described. We are in agreement here.

Also, yes, there is a fourth level invisible to most passengers. When you enter the Admirals Club, they send you up yet another level to the club itself.

Uh, yeah, I think I'll make a drawing of that if I can or at least study the map a bit. I don't remember much from last year, other than finding the escalator. This is the video I took walking from TBIT to T4. After I went up that escalator, there was the massive line of people. First I went inside, but there were barriers everywhere and all I could see was ticketing counters so I went back out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNzMFeX4VaU
Great video!!! A picture is worth a thousand words.

You were on the ground floor, the Arrivals level, and then went up to the Departures/Ticketing level.

I think this is where you went wrong. You went into the ticketing lobby and saw giant lines. Those lines were for people checking in and checking their baggage. I would assume you already had your boarding pass. What you should have done was go up the escalator directly into the TSA queue with your boarding pass in hand, wait in that line, and then you would have been in the Departures concourse (third level).

Instead, you followed the random dude and got through TSA, then bussed back to the airside of T4. I would like to imagine that might have taken as long as just staying put and waiting through the TSA queue in T4.

Yes, I am familiar with arriving at TBIT...normally we have to go through immigration with ridiculously long lines and then pick up baggage and recheck it. Then walk out of TBIT and go to T4. So instead of walking out, after rechecking baggage, do I then find an elevator close by? That whole process is a little fuzzy to me but I am sure I will find it.
Here's a suggestion: Look into Global Entry. If you are a US citizen with a clean police record, you probably qualify. With GE you can SKIP THE IMMIGRATION QUEUE. Check it out at globalentry.gov . If you qualify for GE, you will also get a Trusted Traveler number. There are pilot programs in place, now, that provide for less intrusive screening for Trusted Travelers, and I believe that program will extend to more airports in the future. I have GE and I love it. It took me all of 10 minutes to get through both Immigration and Customs last month when I flew from London to Los Angeles.

In answer to your question, in my opinion it would be a bit less confusing to get to the Departure roadway level (middle level) using an elevator in TBIT. You know that terminal well, so just take the elevator up. Once on the Departure roadway level, walk to T4. You will be on the correct level to enter the ticketing lobby and go directly to the short escalator to the TSA screening, with boarding pass already in your possession.

Correct...I am just a normal passenger
Go to Australia enough times, and you may find yourself the proud possessor of a Gold card!

Now to find the west terminal doors. I *think* last year the people lined up outside who were also on my flight and connecting with AA or AE probably were going through those west terminal doors and that's why it was taking SO LONG.
That's possible, and that may be why they took some of you over to the TBIT screening. I have not experienced that situation, but I have never connected through LAX. LAX is "home", my final destination.

Thank you thank you thank you SO MUCH for your detailed help. Lots to think about and be aware of next time. The last time it was "look for the escalators outside and take one up." This year it will be "look for the escalators/elevators INSIDE and take one up" LOL!
My pleasure. I was 24 and remember when it was all new and confusing. You are doing the right thing by proactively figueing out what to do in advance and educating yourself. Good for you!!!

due to land at LAX at 6:55am LA time on the 18th (weird how that works lol!). Then I will take AA flight 264 back which doesn't leave until 11:50am so pleeeeeeennnnntttyyyyyy of time to chill and make this work even with going through immigration/customs/whatever.
That sounds great, and again I suggest you spring for the $50 Admirals Club day pass. You can take a shower, have a nap, and there are plenty of places to plug in and charge electronics.

If you are like me (cheap) and don't want to spend the dough for the AC, there is a charging station near either Gate 41 or Gate 43 (I can't remember which one). Another place to look is in Gate 41. There is a long wall separating the departure lounge area from some employee-only stuff. Along that wall are plugs.

The charging station is lit up in blue and advertises some product. It's a round kiosk type thing.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!! I'm really jealous. Oh, to be 24 again and off on all those adventures!!!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Yes. My itinerary is this: taking Virgin America flight 367 from BOS to LAX on March 7th leaving at 5:40 or whenever that flight leaves and landing at 9:10pm approximately. Next flight is QF94 leaving at 11:30pm.
Just a note that you may be a bit rushed at this connection. Technically Qantas has a posted latest check-in time as 90 minutes before an international flight in Y making the cutoff 10:00 pm. I fly the QF94/93 run 2-3 times a year and have been given a gentle reminder by the TA a few times when I've checked in 60 min in advance. Exacerbating the problem these days is that there is a lot of construction going on at TBIT which will probably still be in place on your flight so when Qantas pax report to the departure gate you're bussed to a satellite terminal to board the aircraft.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:44 pm

Thanks!!! I will definitely enjoy it!

I will look into the global entry thing. I am clean as a whistle and intend to stay that way.

What's a Gold Card? I intend to go every year I will try anyway. My best friend lives out there and yeah.

Zarf, I will already be checked in to both flights so all I'll have to do is walk to TBIT and go through security and I should be fine once I find my gate.

Thank you again for the tips and encouragement. I definitely believe in being OVER prepared instead of under. I want to get through those lines as fast as possible and being prepared for it helps a ton.

I'm glad the video helped you see where I was. I know it was shaky but *I* was shaky, and I was carrying a heavy, awkward laptop bag. This year, I bought myself a very light weight back pack that is TSA safe and can handle all of my excess stuff for the flight. I'll be checking my other two bags since I don't want to deal with weight limits and/or lack of space on the smaller flights.

This kind of thing is interesting to me anyway, especially since i have friends who will be doing this later on and such. Always good to be able to help them!

But this time...I will NOT get lost at LA! If I do, I'll get online and scream "HELP!" at you guys :P
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:49 pm

Awww bummer. I would totally apply for Global Entry but I am 2 and a half hours away from Boston Airport, which is the closest airport to me. I live in Vermont...where NOTHING is. BOoooo! They would have to interview me...at one of the locations, and I couldn't do it BOO lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.