Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Book DL return on the following day - doing an overnight flight straight from transpac seems pretty brutal. The outbound should be OK assuming no delays (and that's a big if).

Overall if I were you I'd book on CX an AA (even if not on the same ticket) - if smth goes wrong you'll have a much better chance to be rebooked by an alliance partner.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: TK CP, Lapsed DL FO, Mr. <3Vacations Free Rider, Numerous programs
I was pretty burnt out on research, so I ended up just booking everything thing with delta. HSV-HKG. One layover in DTW same on the return. I did get an exit row seat though. I got scared for a minute because I had booked the seat online and then once it was confirmed and payment went through it put me in different seats. I had to call and the agent put me back to where I wanted to be.

They also said in the event that the planes are outfitted with EC seats by April I can call back and check and perhaps move from the exit row to one of them (Id love the extra recline, way more then I need the leg room)
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
Glad to hear you chose to go through DTW which is a lot more seamless to go through the hoops to connect between T5 and TBIT at LAX. If you do decide to still take up a SkyClub day pass, go for the SC at the center of the A Concourse in DTW as this specific one has showers which may be of value after coming out of a Trans-Pac flight. ^

Originally Posted by meballard

I don't know the United Lounge specifically (may visit one day as I do have a Priority Pass card)
Unfortunately the LAX RCC isn't Priority Pass-accessible. Unless I'm flying international w/ *A that day, I usually find myself at the Presidents Club at T6.

The reLAX lounge has its' benefits from what I've read, although if you want alcohol, it's not as nice.
Yeah, they issue you a coupon for a single complimentary alcoholic drink. Everything else after that one will have to be purchased.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: TK CP, Lapsed DL FO, Mr. <3Vacations Free Rider, Numerous programs
I have a 3.5 hour layover in DTW before my flight back to HSV, I'm going to have to go through customs so not sure I am even going to bother heading into any lounges though a $50 dollar shower, coke/beer and whatever food they are offering might be VERY tempting after a 15 hour flight.

I just hope the food on the return is better than last years NRT-ATL flight... my stomach still cringes over that.

On another note, I am going to need my work to start sending me on more trips so I can move up in the ranks.. Though I don't know many other 26 year olds who have any status at all so I guess that is something
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:04 am

Connection time Continental/United

Hi again,

I had previously posted about a 1 hour 24 minute connection time, and received some good advice.

Unfortunately I realized my inbound flight to LAX is a codeshare and is operated by Continental (flight 3791 from Newark) lands at 11:41. My outbound flight is a United flight (flight 83 to Honolulu) leaves at 1:05.

I viewed the terminal map, and determined I will arrive on Continental in terminal 6, and will have to get to Terminal 7 or 8 in 1 hour, 24 minutes. Is this possible? Will I have to re-clear security?

The flights are not booked (almost, then I noticed the codeshare) so if anyone thinks this is a bad connection, please feel free to say so.

Thanks again for all your help,
Nicole
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by nic624
Unfortunately I realized my inbound flight to LAX is a codeshare and is operated by Continental (flight 3791 from Newark) lands at 11:41. My outbound flight is a United flight (flight 83 to Honolulu) leaves at 1:05.

I viewed the terminal map, and determined I will arrive on Continental in terminal 6, and will have to get to Terminal 7 or 8 in 1 hour, 24 minutes. Is this possible? Will I have to re-clear security?
That's not an issue at all. You can treat this almost the same as a United to United connection at LAX. There is an in-security path (to the right at the security end of T6 if coming from the gates if memory serves) to T7/8. Assuming the flight arrives on time, you can get to the new gate with plenty of time to spare.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Question LAX T5 to T3

I'm travelling on DL to LAX then on VA to SYD tomorrow.
I have a 2:15 min connect time in LAX.
Will this be enough time?
Do I have to re-clear security to go out international?
I do have a partnered itin, so I'm pretty sure I won't have to recheck my bags.
Any other info I should know?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by javajunkie
I'm travelling on DL to LAX then on VA to SYD tomorrow.
I have a 2:15 min connect time in LAX.
Will this be enough time?
Do I have to re-clear security to go out international?
I do have a partnered itin, so I'm pretty sure I won't have to recheck my bags.
Any other info I should know?

Thanks!
You should be fine, assuming you get in reasonably on-time.

V Australia operates out of Terminal 3 (at least for departures).

You have 2 choices for T5 to T3:
1. There is an in-security shuttle that operates from T5 to T3. I know it is primarily run for Alaska/Delta transfers, but you may be able to use it in this case. Timing on this shuttle can be iffy at best.
2. Transfer out of security, either by catching the Airline Connections shuttle, or walking. It is possible to cross the parking structure from T4 across to T3, or just walk around the loop.

In the latter choice, you would have to re-clear security, but the lines at T3 are usually reasonably short.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
You should be fine, assuming you get in reasonably on-time....
Thanks meballard! Most of my travel is domestic, with an occasional odd international trip. I'll post my results.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis First
T7 -> T1

What is the easiest way to get from T7 to T1? Walk all the way around? Is there a parking garage that I can cut through?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by 2wheels
What is the easiest way to get from T7 to T1? Walk all the way around? Is there a parking garage that I can cut through?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Yes. T7 and T1 are directly across from each other. You can cut through the parking garage.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:09 pm

Needing advice - International Transfer

Is 1 hour and 27 minutes enough time to arrive on a UA flight and transfer to a Thai airlines flight leaving out of the International Terminal?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by justhadtosay
Is 1 hour and 27 minutes enough time to arrive on a UA flight and transfer to a Thai airlines flight leaving out of the International Terminal?
It's a risk as Thai will consider you a no show 45 mins prior to departure if you don't have a Thai boarding pass (e.g. checked in).

There is no airside connection, assume T6/7/8 it will take at least 15 mins from the time you land - IF you land on time to get landside, then another 10-15 mins to walk to TBIT (same time for bus really)...

It's going to take at least 10 mins for Thai to recheck you - issue a Boarding pass if UA didn't do it... So total this is 40 mins and you still have to go through security.

In a PERFECT world, on time or early flight and limited lines it will be OK but connections through LAX don't work that way... I would try to get in earlier.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Good summary above. I would say no. It can take a long time to reach the International Terminal from T7.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
It's a risk as Thai will consider you a no show 45 mins prior to departure if you don't have a Thai boarding pass (e.g. checked in).

There is no airside connection, assume T6/7/8 it will take at least 15 mins from the time you land - IF you land on time to get landside, then another 10-15 mins to walk to TBIT (same time for bus really)...

It's going to take at least 10 mins for Thai to recheck you - issue a Boarding pass if UA didn't do it... So total this is 40 mins and you still have to go through security.

In a PERFECT world, on time or early flight and limited lines it will be OK but connections through LAX don't work that way... I would try to get in earlier.
I agree with NickP. T7 to TBIT is not that close (15 mins walking is at a pace without luggage in my opinion). LAX is also a madhouse. If you're wondering about this, then perhaps you're not familiar with the airport? It can take some time to orient yourself in the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.