Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2007, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Welcome to Flyertalk, iamsipo

We're glad to have you here. I see that you have posted the same question in two other forums. We do have a lot of them, and I will move this one to the more appropriate one, specific to Los Angeles. I would also recommend that, in line with our guidelines and as you become more familiar with our forum structure, you post your questions in one single forum. Don't worry if it is in the wrong one, someone will always be on hand to steer you to the right forum.

Hope you enjoy it here

Last edited by JOUY31; Oct 30, 2007 at 4:43 pm
Old Oct 30, 2007, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Welcome to LA!

I guess it depends on your comfort level with a tight connection. Is the "recommended" check-in time for Singapore Airlines 2 or 3 hours prior to the flight?

From a distance standpoint, it's not too far. The walk from T2 to TBIT is a short one - prob 5-10 min at the most.

You're clearing customs in YVZ so you'd just have to wait for bags after deplaning in LA. Assuming everything actually works perfectly and you arrive at LAX at 8:45, your bags probably won't show up until about 9:15 (i've had bad luck with my T2 bags from Canada showing up in a timely fashion). Then you would walk about 10 min to TBIT which probably puts you there at 9:30 or so.

You would then be just about 2 hours prior to departure - with no contingencies.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 6:35 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If you're on a single ticket, you should have your bags through-checked. Then you won't have to worry about them. You would then also get your boarding pass in YYZ.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:40 pm

Thanks guys, you have been very helpful. Singapore airline's recommended check in time is minimum 2.5 hours. I will have cleared customs from Toronto, and baggage checked to Taipei. Some of my friends have lost luggage in transit at LAX, and I have had my checked baggage miss the plane on other connections before, and had to trace it afterwards. Hope it doesn't happen to me this time.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 4:20 am

PLEASE HELP - CONNECTING BTWN T2 AND T7 at LAX

Hello helpful people

I will be flying in to T2 at LAX from LHR with Virgin landing 14.35 and then have to get over to T7 to take a United flight to Hawaii (KOA) that leaves at 16.35. As I will be an international arrival, I am assuming I will have to clear security both arriving at T2 and departing from T4.

Have I left enough time?
How long will it take to transfer from T2 to T7?
Is bus or walk the best option?
If walk - then best route?

Hoping you can help (the advice you have given others sounds great)

Maz
Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by MAZ1
Hello helpful people

I will be flying in to T2 at LAX from LHR with Virgin landing 14.35 and then have to get over to T7 to take a United flight to Hawaii (KOA) that leaves at 16.35. As I will be an international arrival, I am assuming I will have to clear security both arriving at T2 and departing from T4.

Have I left enough time?
How long will it take to transfer from T2 to T7?
Is bus or walk the best option?
If walk - then best route?

Hoping you can help (the advice you have given others sounds great)

Maz
At T2, once you clear US Immigrations and Customs, just exit to Los Angeles.

Next, I would suggest proceeding upstairs to the departures level. From there it would be my suggestion to walk outside over to United to T7. Make a right as you come out the doors and you should be heading towards T3 (AS). As you continue you will pass TBIT (Tom Bradley Intl Terminal), then T4 (AA/QF), T5 (DL), and then you'll reach T6 and T7.

The outdoor roadway and adjacent walkway to get between terminals is shaped like a horseshoe with T1, T2, T3 on the north side, TBIT on the west, and T4, T5, T6, and T7 on the south side.

It may be possible to cut through the parking structure in the middle via one of the pedways, but I have never tried it. There is also a bus that runs between terminals, but the walk isn't bad. I suspect by the time you wait for the bus, take the bus, and stop at each terminal, it'll take longer. After the flight on VS, you'll probably enjoy the walk and getting some "fresh air" outside.

You may be cutting it close on time for UA check-in unless VS checks you in and all the way through. Hopefully you will arrive early, or on-time and clear US Immigrations/Customs quickly.

Separate tix or are you booked on one ticket?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1P, MR PE ++++
SDF Traveller has given you the basics. The walk is about 20 minutes.

For the bus you can take any airport/parking lot bus from the lower level and get off at T7 (about 15 minutes).

The walk across the lots is the fastest at just under 10 but there is allot of up and down. To do it you need to take the pedestrian bridge from Terminal 1 over to the lots (to the left from terminal 2) and then navigate the top of the garage straight across to the pedestrian bridge for T7 (There is some up and down between the garages for T1 and T7) . Easily done with a 22" roller but can be a problem if lots of luggage.

If lots of luggage recommend the bus.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:57 pm

Question Connection time & baggage check @ LAX

Thanks for answers to route from T2 to T7 - all the people on this site are so helpful :-:

I think what you're saying is that 2 hours between arrival (from LHR) at T2 and take-off (to Hawaii) from T7 is likely to be tight but possible? Any more views on that?

I am on two separate tickets (flights bought separately) - (i) virgin from LHR to LAX and (ii) United from LAX to KOA.

Does anybody know whether Virgin has an interline agreement with United that would enable me to put the bags straight through? Or does anybody know Virgin's policy on checking bags through.

If you think I CAN check bags straight through then is this worth doing in terms of time saved?

What is the record at LAX in terms of successful baggage transfer between flights (might I be better holding on to them)?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 3:23 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Help with Air Tahiti Nui

Hello, searched but couldn't find anything specific regarding Air Tahiti Nui.

Returning from Tahiti, flights are:

PPT-LAX-JFK all on ATN. I see that ATN uses TBIT and I'm assuming that's for both outbound and inbound. My question is we have a 2hr layover in LAX and our flight to JFK is a continuing flight (same flight number from PPT).

Will we have to clear customs and collect bags in LAX or will we do that in JFK (we are continuing onto BOS on AA eagle)?

Also, might be a simple question but can you go between terminals without having to clear security? I ask because on our outboud we've got: BOS-LAX (AA) - PPT (ATN) and am debating which lounge to use (ATNs shared lounge in TBIT vs AA's AC in T4).
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:57 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I believe that you will need to clear customs and immigration in LA, as it your entry port into the US.

TBIT is isolated from the rest of the other terminals, so you will need to re-clear security.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I believe that you will need to clear customs and immigration in LA, as it your entry port into the US.

TBIT is isolated from the rest of the other terminals, so you will need to re-clear security.
Slightly OT with respect to the question asked, but there is actually a secure walkway between TBIT and T4.

This allows aircraft to dock at a gate at TBIT but for the passenger to clear US Customs & Immigrations over in T4. I've done this on Qantas arrivals.

I've also heard the link goes in the other direction for when the T4 FIS is closed. I've never done this, but I've heard you can physically pull into a T4 gate but clear US Immigrations and Customs over at TBIT.

I don't believe there is enough room at T4 for more than one QF 744, so it is nice to pull into a gate at TBIT but then pop-out in T4 for a connection on AA.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:35 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian

So even if I'm on an ATN flight from PPT-LAX and then continuing LAX-JFK (all ATN metal) I'll have to clear customs and immigration in LA and then turn around and go through security to reboard the same plane in TBIT?
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by EdV
So even if I'm on an ATN flight from PPT-LAX and then continuing LAX-JFK (all ATN metal) I'll have to clear customs and immigration in LA and then turn around and go through security to reboard the same plane in TBIT?
That is how the Qantas flight that runs SYD-LAX-JFK operates.

Off the plane at LAX, clear US Immigrations/Customs, re-board the QF 744, and off to JFK as a "domestic" flight. Only difference is it departs out of T4.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by MAZ1
Thanks for answers to route from T2 to T7 - all the people on this site are so helpful :-:

I think what you're saying is that 2 hours between arrival (from LHR) at T2 and take-off (to Hawaii) from T7 is likely to be tight but possible? Any more views on that?

I am on two separate tickets (flights bought separately) - (i) virgin from LHR to LAX and (ii) United from LAX to KOA.

Does anybody know whether Virgin has an interline agreement with United that would enable me to put the bags straight through? Or does anybody know Virgin's policy on checking bags through.

If you think I CAN check bags straight through then is this worth doing in terms of time saved?

What is the record at LAX in terms of successful baggage transfer between flights (might I be better holding on to them)?
If possible I would recommend more time than 2 hours. You will need to land, clear customs and immigration with your bags, make the trip from T2-T7 with your bags (since this is your port of entry you will have cleared customs with them and United doesn't have a recheck facility in T2), check in at United prior to the cutoff, clear security in T7, and make your flight. IF you are one of the first off the plane, and IF there are no other intl. flights coming in at T2 at the same time, and IF your bags come out on time, and IF you clear through the green lane with no problems then you might do well. There is next to no margin for anything to go wrong though, and if it does you're in bad shape. If you miss the United flight you'll then go on the standby list for upcoming flights and hope that there is available space.

If it were me I wouldn't risk it. I do wish you luck though!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
How do I get from UA Terminal 7 to Terminal 2?

How do I get from UA Terminal 7 to Terminal 2? I understand there's a bus, or I could walk. But I am mostly interested in walking, can anyone give me specific directions. I understand I may have to go through a parking lot, or maybe walk around that theme space aged restaurant. But, walking from Terminal 7 to Terminal 2, can someone give me the best directions. What level do I need to be on, what references should I look for. Thanks for your help and detailed explanation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.