Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel is now open. It is possible now to connect from T4 to T5, T6, T7 and T8 without exiting security.
In T-4, the access to the tunnel is from Gate 44 (the bus transfer gate). Take the escalator down to Gate 44, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

An elevated airside connecter walkway between T4 and TBIT is under construction. This is expected to be completed in 2016. More here: TERMINAL 4 CONNECTOR - LAWA PDF

The prior thread on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, contains relevant information, however, to keep it from getting too long, 2014 and 2015 updates are below.

2015 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, and above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk from distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 29 Aug 2015 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
T5 and T6 question

In July I'll be coming home from a cruise, and I have a connection through LAX. Never been there before, and not too stoked (other family members decided to book travel through cruise line's travel agency...ugh; but hey, can't complain too much when they're paying for the tickets).
I fly a redeye, DL 995 ANC-LAX. It's slated to get in just before 6:00, then I have a 7:45 flight to SLC (still on Delta). I checked out the updated terminal map in the first post and I see Delta operates out of T5. I also saw someone mention a tunnel that connects T5 and T6. I'd love to pop in to the new Alaska board room for a little bit before my connecting flight, as long as I can stay airside. I think I should have more than enough time to do so, but I figured I'd ask the pros just to make sure.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
I fly a redeye, DL 995 ANC-LAX. It's slated to get in just before 6:00, then I have a 7:45 flight to SLC (still on Delta). I checked out the updated terminal map in the first post and I see Delta operates out of T5. I also saw someone mention a tunnel that connects T5 and T6. I'd love to pop in to the new Alaska board room for a little bit before my connecting flight, as long as I can stay airside. I think I should have more than enough time to do so, but I figured I'd ask the pros just to make sure.
Yes, that's more than enough time to make a board room visit. The Board Room opens at 5a. The tunnel that connects T5 to T6 is approximately in the middle of the terminal, take the escalator downstairs between the McDonalds and the SkyClub stairs, and make sure you follow the signs to T6 (the lower passage also connects to baggage claim).
Old May 23, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Thanks! I look forward to trying out their nifty pancake maker.
Old May 23, 2013, 3:35 pm

Hello all
I would like to have your feedback on the following connection I am currently planning.
I fly a DL4794 from PHX arriving in T5 at 3:50pm on a thursday.
I intend to catch a flight back to Europe in T2 (KLM) leaving at 5:15am. It gives a 1:25 connection time. From what i have read so far walking (running...) from T5 to T2 seems a good option.
I will be already checked in, have only carry-on bagages. I will be travelling on buisness class and I am a gold skyteam member. This should speed up the security queue ?
Does it look realistic to you ?
Should I consider an earlier arrival in LAX ?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Old May 23, 2013, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by TofDA
Hello all
I would like to have your feedback on the following connection I am currently planning.
I intend to catch a flight back to Europe in T2 (KLM) leaving at 5:15am. It gives a 1:25 connection time. From what i have read so far walking (running...) from T5 to T2 seems a good option.
I will be already checked in, have only carry-on bagages. I will be travelling on buisness class and I am a gold skyteam member. This should speed up the security queue ?
Does it look realistic to you ?
Should I consider an earlier arrival in LAX ?
Thanks a lot in advance.
You would likely make it, but if you want to be sure of making your flight (and especially if on different itineraries) I would try to come in a little earlier.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by meballard
You would likely make it, but if you want to be sure of making your flight (and especially if on different itineraries) I would try to come in a little earlier.
I agree. If I were in your situation and I felt like gambling, I'd book the 1:20 connection and probably be ok.

I'm of the type that likes to give myself at least hours, because what's another few minutes anyway? That way, I'm not rushing. Plus, what if your inbound is delayed for whatever reason?
Old May 23, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Check your data again. The only KLM flight from LAX leaves at 1:55 pm.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Ruh roh.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Surprising... This is the data I actually get from the KLM website which is also confirmed by my travel agency.

Thanks a lot for your advice. I will change my plan for an earlier flight.

Last edited by TofDA; May 23, 2013 at 11:26 pm Reason: Mistake
Old May 24, 2013, 1:09 am

Surprising... This is the data I actually get from the KLM website which is also confirmed by my travel agency.

Thanks a lot for your advice. I will change my plan for an earlier flight.
Are you sure it's an actual KLM flight vs a code share flight on another airline? On some quick checks on the KLM website, I only saw the other flight time myself.
Old May 24, 2013, 3:09 pm

It is actually a KLM flight. KL0604 leaving LAX at 5:15pm and arriving at 12:50am in AMS. 06/06/13.
I have actually entirely changed my plan as I will fly to SFO to catch an air France flight with a much more cumfortable transfer time. This saves me half of a working day before taking off. I still arrive on the Friday night which was what I was looking for.
Thanks for your help.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:44 pm

I read upthread, but thought I would ask anyway. I was considering a QF arrival and AA departure with 1:45 between flights. AA refuses to ticket it and says there must be 2+ hours between flights. Even if I paid for 5S service, they still won't do it. Is that an actual "rule?"
Old May 26, 2013, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Airlines publish though GDS's a "Minimum Connection Time" (aka "MCT") for individual port and connection combinations (airline, Domestic, International/etc.).

For LAX QF (Int) to AA (Dom or Int) the MCT is 2 hours. Here's what ExpertFlyer returns:
Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Connecting Cities:
Connecting at LAX
Incoming airline QF
Outgoing airline AA
Flight type International to Domestic

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE   1.10  1.30  2.00  2.00
OFFLINE  1.10  1.30  2.00  2.00
** OR * ARE ALL
**-AA ID SUP   ALL  - FLT 5100 - 8599 
**-AA ID  1.50 ALL - YYZ
Airlines typically will not permit shorter connections on the one ticket.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by serfty
Airlines typically will not permit shorter connections on the one ticket.
Thanks.... and it's probably not worth another 25k miles to ticket F and risk a missed connection, which in the AA system will be a no-show.

You mentioned "typically." Can a sup override it?
Old May 27, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Don't go with the 1:45 min connection unless you have global entry -- even then there is very little time for error.

Book something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.