Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel is now open. It is possible now to connect from T4 to T5, T6, T7 and T8 without exiting security.
In T-4, the access to the tunnel is from Gate 44 (the bus transfer gate). Take the escalator down to Gate 44, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

An elevated airside connecter walkway between T4 and TBIT is under construction. This is expected to be completed in 2016. More here: TERMINAL 4 CONNECTOR - LAWA PDF

The prior thread on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, contains relevant information, however, to keep it from getting too long, 2014 and 2015 updates are below.

2015 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, and above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk from distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 29 Aug 2015 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
At that time of day, you arrive with the whole bank of Asian flights that hit the International Terminal from 9am - 11am.

If your flight is on time, you need to factor in the time to get off the plane (will this be an A380?), walk to immigration (which, if you're on an A380, you will be parked at the far end of the terminal), get processed, wait for your bag to come out, wait in line to get through customs and then proceed down to Terminal 5. At Terminal 5, you will need to go through the security process again.

It's really pushing it to chance this connection.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by redbirdsj
Connection question for a flight I'm considering. Flying LHR-LAX in J, arriving at 1:40pm and connecting to SFO at 3:00pm, all on United with checked luggage. US passport holder. Is 1:20 enough time to clear immigration and customs, collect bag and re-check on United? Or will United check the bag all the way through for me after customs? Also, if it matters, I'll be arriving on J but couldn't get award space on Saver First/Business to SFO, so would be holding a coach ticket for security line purposes.

I suppose I could simply book this and if I miss it, United will put me on the next available flight?
Unless both tickets are on the same PRN, UA doesn't have to accommodate you. They will put you on the next flight to SFO but you'll have to pay a ticket change fee.

The rule of thumb for int'l to domestic at LAX is 2 hour minimum if no change of terminal; 3 hour if there is change of terminal. You are under 1.5 hours so that's pushing it.

I would guess that you have just enough to time clear immigration and custom and get in line again to enter T7.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:03 am

LAX connecting flights to MSY

We are booked on QF93, scheduled arrival at LAX is 6.45am. We will have luggage.
We need to book flights to either New Orleans or Baton Rouge (we have accommodation booked that is closer to Baton Rouge for our first night) and I have found the following options, in order of preference:

UA 504 departing LA @ 9.00am to MSY, arriving 2.34pm
my concern with this option is not having enough connection time in LAX

AA 2430 departing @ 9.45am to BTR (55min. connection time in DFW) then AA2929 arriving Baton Rouge @ 4.55pm
my concern is the very short connecting time in DFW

Delta 1325 departing LA @11.00am to MSY, arriving 4.36pm
the later arrival in MSY is the only concern. we will probably not get to our accommodation till after 7pm

Is the earlier UA flight out of the question? And if so, 55mins. in DFW doesn't seem to be realistic to me, although I know we won't need to get out cases, etc like we will in LAX. Any advice please would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by kobe2256
And if so, 55mins. in DFW doesn't seem to be realistic to me
If the flights into and out of DFW are on the same ticket, 55 minutes is very realistic, since there's a perfectly good chance you'll make it, and if you don't, it's AA's responsibility to rebook you on alternate flights (although the alternate flights may be less convenient than you'd prefer).

If they are separate tickets (not sure why they would be, but just in case), then I would not do that.

The airlines generally won't sell you a ticket that violates the published MCT (Minimum Connect Time), which means that any through-ticket they sell you will be guaranteed (and very likely to be just fine). I or family members have personally been booked on 35-minute connections in several places good-sized airports and been just fine (although I wouldn't dilly-dally through the terminal).
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
UA 504 departing LA @ 9.00am to MSY, arriving 2.34pm my concern with this option is not having enough connection time in LAX
Yes it's too tight, especially if you can't get QF to tag your bags to UA. Beside the long journey from TBIT to T7, UA will refuse bag check if you don't get to the front of the line by T-45 min.

AA 2430 departing @ 9.45am to BTR (55min. connection time in DFW) then AA2929 arriving Baton Rouge @ 4.55pm
Like jackal said, it's not something to worry about--and there are two more BTR flights for the day. Another thing you want to investigate is whether flying Oneworld (QF to AA) can enable interline tagging and waiver of US domestic fees. Tag-through alone can enable you to drop off the bag at TBIT. Even if not, the walk to T4 is a lot better than T5 (DL) and T7 (UA), without and especially with baggage.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:04 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
American Airlines minimum domestic to domestic connection time at DFW is 40 minutes (link).

Unless your flight from LAX to DFW is late, you should be OK. As jackal wrote above, if you misconnect, it is AA's responsibility to get you to BTR. There are at least two later flights from DFW to BTR, so you should be OK even in the unlikely case of a delay.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:14 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Another thing you want to investigate is whether flying Oneworld (QF to AA) can enable interline tagging and waiver of US domestic fees. Tag-through alone can enable you to drop off the bag at TBIT. Even if not, the walk to T4 is a lot better than T5 (DL) and T7 (UA), without and especially with baggage.
It's better than that.

Since both QF and AA are oneworld carriers, even passengers traveling on separate tickets are treated as through passengers and are reaccommodated in case of a delay or cancellation of the originating flight (link).
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:17 pm

The AA flight via DFW is the smart choice.

- Ample connection time at LAX and DFW
- QF will tag your bags all the way to BTR, and you will likely get your bag fee waived on the domestic US sectors
- If you are trying to earn mileage and status on QF, the AA miles are a plus
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Welcome to FT kobe2256

Qantas do indeed through check luggage onto other oneworld carriers even when you have separate tickets. Their policy is not to do so for non oneworld carriers (such as UA) - so AA is your best bet.

You will still need to collect you baggae at Tom Bradley, carry it though customs before redepositing after customs and then you can walk up and around to T4.

See here from last year's thread:
Originally Posted by bzcat
... take the elevator right outside TBIT (or stairs) to the upper (departure) level - it is less noisy and the air is more fresh and you get a nice view of the airport.
Originally Posted by serfty
... Also, there is now a functioning escalator up to the departures level at TBIT.

Exit straight ahead after coming up the ramp towards the arrivals kerb. On reaching the footpath, turn right then right again and it's there.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 1, 2013 at 2:57 pm
Old Mar 1, 2013, 6:31 pm

You guys are great! What a fabulous forum this is....this is just the advice I was looking for.
Thank you so much .....you have all been so helpful with your advice and I am going to book the AA flights.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:46 am

I am taking AA143 from BOS-LAX then my second flight is LAX-MEL on Qantas 94...I was wondering if the A380s are now boarding/leaving from the new TBIT and if the process to get from T4 to TBIT is different. I am used to taking a bus from T4 to TBIT airside.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by tenacioustins
I am taking AA143 from BOS-LAX then my second flight is LAX-MEL on Qantas 94...I was wondering if the A380s are now boarding/leaving from the new TBIT and if the process to get from T4 to TBIT is different. I am used to taking a bus from T4 to TBIT airside.
You are in the wrong thread for this question... but yes, Qantas still operate the shuttle. There is supposed to be an airside walkway between T4 and TBIT when all the renovations are completed but for now, the airside shuttle still operates. You'll need a boarding pass for QF flights to SYD/MEL to board the bus to TBIT.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:47 pm

Whoops, I am so sorry...I'm not quite sure how the heck I posted in this thread...I was sure it was the connecting at LAX thread...my bad...if a mod could move this it'd be great! Thank you!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:23 pm

Question on connection time

Hello. I am visiting Cali next week and I have a question about LA airport.
I have a morning flight that arrive LAX from Oakland about 7:55am. Then my next flight is from LAX to Atlanta at 8:40am. They are both Delta airline. Would this be enough time for me to catch my flight? I am light traveling with just 1 bag.
Could someone give some info on LAX? Is it easy to walk around or is it like Dallas one where you need to ride a train to different terminals?

Thank you!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That's more than enough time DL-DL. Just remember that you must be through the gate reader for your ATL flight by T-15, so you really only have 30 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.