Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel is now open. It is possible now to connect from T4 to T5, T6, T7 and T8 without exiting security.
In T-4, the access to the tunnel is from Gate 44 (the bus transfer gate). Take the escalator down to Gate 44, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

An elevated airside connecter walkway between T4 and TBIT is under construction. This is expected to be completed in 2016. More here: TERMINAL 4 CONNECTOR - LAWA PDF

The prior thread on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, contains relevant information, however, to keep it from getting too long, 2014 and 2015 updates are below.

2015 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, and above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk from distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 29 Aug 2015 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
To access the DL SkyClub as a VA elite you need to be travelling from the airport on DL (or VA, except VA have no flights from T5).

Being inbound on VA is not sufficient.
Old May 17, 2013, 7:52 pm

United just changed my itinerary. Is 1 hour 3 minute connection from TBIT to domestic United flight remotely possible? No check-in bags. Am I going to get charged (this is an award ticket) if I request a change because the transfer time is too short?

Last edited by waingro; May 17, 2013 at 8:02 pm
Old May 17, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by waingro
United just changed my itinerary. Is 1 hour 3 minute connection from TBIT to domestic United flight remotely possible? No check-in bags. Am I going to get charged (this is an award ticket) if I request a change because the transfer time is too short?
If domestic <--> domestic that should be enough time -- the terminals aren't that far aprat. If (non-precleared) International, that's only possible if you have Global Entry. Without Global Entry there's no way you'll make it.

My advice, rebook it. Save yourself the headache.
Old May 17, 2013, 9:35 pm

Thanks. Yes, it's international -> domestic. United just changed it for me. Luckily, there was 1 earlier flight from PTY to LAX!
Old May 18, 2013, 10:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by debracey
United just changed my itinerary. Is 1 hour 3 minute connection from TBIT to domestic United flight remotely possible?

<snip>
If domestic <--> domestic that should be enough time -- the terminals aren't that far aprat.

<snip>
What domestic flights arrive at the Tom Bradley International Terminal?
Old May 20, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Thanks. Yes, it's international -> domestic. United just changed it for me. Luckily, there was 1 earlier flight from PTY to LAX!
Well, 1 hour 3 minutes is below the minimum connection time at LAX for Int'l to Domestic so UA better change it for free!
Old May 20, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
What domestic flights arrive at the Tom Bradley International Terminal?
Dunno, probably none. But there could be a precleared flight or two arriving there.
Old May 21, 2013, 7:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Which SEA-LAX flight to connect to AF?

I am just about to book an award ticket that has an AS segment from SEA-LAX to connect to my Air France flight leaving at 3:45. Both AS flights are showing saver availability.

458 SEA 9:00 am LAX 11:38 am

452 SEA 10:25 am LAX 1:00 pm

Which one makes the most sense?
Old May 21, 2013, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by david4455
I am just about to book an award ticket that has an AS segment from SEA-LAX to connect to my Air France flight leaving at 3:45. Both AS flights are showing saver availability.

I would think the second one would be fine. As a domestic>international transfer, all you need to do is take the A shuttle bus (or walk) to T2 TBIT and reclear security, which is easily doable in 2:45.

The folks in this thread would likely have a much better grasp on things, though: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...ns-thread.html. I'll go ahead and move your thread to that forum and request the mods there to merge your question in with that thread.

Regards,
jackal
Co-Moderator
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum

Last edited by jackal; May 21, 2013 at 3:56 pm Reason: Correcting erroneous information
Old May 21, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by david4455

Assuming you are on the AF A380 nonstop to Paris, we just took that same trip in April. The 1:00pm arrival worked fine for us. Be forewarned that the check-in line for AF was horrific. After all, that plane holds like 500 people.

My story: we flew AS from SEA to LAX arriving on time at 1:00pm. Once through the terminal and out by baggage claim we went to the airport info desk to ask where the Air France terminal was. We were told T2, an easy walk across, past the restaurant to the other side. Once we got to T2 we found that AF had moved to the new Tom Bradley terminal! Surprised that the airport info people did not know that. Once we made it over there we got in this huge snaking line that was moving painfully slow and even though we had a couple of hours we were concerned about getting checked in and through security in time. After a while I got out of line to investigate and found the business class line that we could use and all was fine after that. Had we not been directed to the wrong terminal then we would have been fine even in the bulk coach line, that detour probably cost us 30 minutes. Have a great trip!
Old May 21, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The flight arriving at 1pm is good. No need to get to LAX 4 hours before departure of your AF flight.

And as noted already, AF is now in TBIT so don't go to T2.
Old May 22, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, BW Diamond
Do I have enough time?

Hi all, would appreciate opinions on whether I am likely to make this connection. Some background - this is a return leg from a honeymoon so we are in biz class / first class on both flights, but they are on different carriers / itineraries.

Virgin Australia Flight #1 from SYD arrives at LAX at 10:30AM, we will need to clear customs, get luggage and then check-in and check luggage for second flight. United Flight #317 departing at 1:00pm. I am 1K and have first class, so will at least get us all priority lines.

Do people think I have enough time? We are trying to get back to Boston on Friday versus stay over in LA until Sat (and avoid redeyes).

Thanks for the opinions!
Old May 22, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by statusislife
Hi all, would appreciate opinions on whether I am likely to make this connection. Some background - this is a return leg from a honeymoon so we are in biz class / first class on both flights, but they are on different carriers / itineraries.

Virgin Australia Flight #1 from SYD arrives at LAX at 10:30AM, we will need to clear customs, get luggage and then check-in and check luggage for second flight. United Flight #317 departing at 1:00pm. I am 1K and have first class, so will at least get us all priority lines.

Do people think I have enough time? We are trying to get back to Boston on Friday versus stay over in LA until Sat (and avoid redeyes).

Thanks for the opinions!
Plenty o' time.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by statusislife
Hi all, would appreciate opinions on whether I am likely to make this connection.. ...

When is this?

Until the end of May, VA arrive at T5 - in which case you'll need to collect your luggage and walk up with it to T6 premium check-in.

From June, VA will be arriving at TBIT, where, as you near the exit after customs, I have been advised UA have a check-in counter open* which you could use to check your luggage in for your onward flight. With that you simply exit the TBIT and look left to the "Blue" bus pick up for your ride to T6.

* seems there is now a bank of these counters now at TBIT arrivals for major airlines.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
When is this?

Until the end of May, VA arrive at T5 - in which case you'll need to collect your luggage and walk up with it to T6 premium check-in.

From June, VA will be arriving at TBIT, where, as you near the exit after customs, I have been advised UA have a check-in counter open* which you could use to check your luggage in for your onward flight. With that you simply exit the TBIT and look left to the "Blue" bus pick up for your ride to T6.

* seems there is now a bank of these counters now at TBIT arrivals for major airlines.
This will be in September. Many thanks for the great information. Can always count on FlyerTalkers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.