Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel is now open. It is possible now to connect from T4 to T5, T6, T7 and T8 without exiting security.
In T-4, the access to the tunnel is from Gate 44 (the bus transfer gate). Take the escalator down to Gate 44, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

An elevated airside connecter walkway between T4 and TBIT is under construction. This is expected to be completed in 2016. More here: TERMINAL 4 CONNECTOR - LAWA PDF

The prior thread on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, contains relevant information, however, to keep it from getting too long, 2014 and 2015 updates are below.

2015 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, and above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk from distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 29 Aug 2015 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:57 pm

Additionally our flight from t4 actually leaves from
American eagles remote terminal. I read somewhere that there is a bus from t6 to the remote terminal. Is this the case? Because we have already checked in an have boarding passes.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by rixie888
American eagles remote terminal. I read somewhere that there is a bus from t6 to the remote terminal. Is this the case? Because we have already checked in an have boarding passes.
Yes. If T6 TSA lets you in, you can take the bus.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by rixie888
With 1:45 minutes you will only make it if:
* Your arriving international flight is precleared (Canada/Ireland) or you have Global Entry
* You have no checked bags

Two hours is the absolute minimum for an international connection at LAX, and even with Global Entry and MP status I avoid anything less than 3.

The CBP facility at T5/T6/T7 (it's all one place) is quite possibly the worst facility in the US. It is small, crowded, has poor AC/signage/lighting and busted moving walkways (it's been broken for over 2 years.)

Prepare to miss the flight.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K
Ahh I really should have looked into my LAX connection earlier. I'd just read through the thread and probably find what I need but I board in about 20 minutes...

Flying YVR-LAX(AS)-SFO(AA). T6 to T4.

Did a quick search and found this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Looks like there is an airside shuttle bus- can someone confirm this is still the way to go? I don't want any surprises upon arrival given my tight-ish connection.

Bags were tagged thru to SFO so that should be ok, just need to figure out how to get myself over to the right terminal.

Thank you!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by yamanote8
Ahh I really should have looked into my LAX connection earlier. I'd just read through the thread and probably find what I need but I board in about 20 minutes...

Flying YVR-LAX(AS)-SFO(AA). T6 to T4.

Did a quick search and found this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Looks like there is an airside shuttle bus- can someone confirm this is still the way to go? I don't want any surprises upon arrival given my tight-ish connection.

Bags were tagged thru to SFO so that should be ok, just need to figure out how to get myself over to the right terminal.

Thank you!
I'm 90% sure there is an airside bus. I can't recall where it departs from in T6, though--I've only ever ridden it T4-T6, I think, and I don't recall where I popped out into T6.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K
Originally Posted by jackal
I'm 90% sure there is an airside bus. I can't recall where it departs from in T6, though--I've only ever ridden it T4-T6, I think, and I don't recall where I popped out into T6.
Thanks! Well I can confirm- there is a shuttle between T4/T6/Eagle terminal. It departs near T6 gate 45A- and just my luck, my flight actually arrived at 45A.

Showed my itinerary to the staff at the door to the right of 45A and hopped on the bus. Nobody else onboard, it was just like a private shuttle
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: MR Plat
Originally Posted by debracey
Yes, YYZ is a preclear station. As long as things are on time you should be able to make it. Here are my notes from doing this walk last year (May, 2012). I went T1 --> T7, but the walkway is really between T1/T2 and dumps you out next to T6.

So I figured I'd update this thread with my findings from my recent T1 --> T7 connection at LAX.

I had a ~1.75 hr connection in LAX between T1 and T7 (international). I walk pretty slowly and was only carrying a large computer bag (~15 lbs) -- the walk took < 10 minutes. Someone in a hurry could easily clock in < 5 minutes if they aren't lugging a heavy bag. It took longer to walk to the gate inside T7 (post security) than the walk between terminals.

In general, the walkway is poor and LAX needs to do a **MUCH** better job to keep up with modern airports. Furthermore, the walkway has a cloud of smoke/exhaust due to the overhead highway part. If you have more time, definitely take the upper route for a more pleasant experience. Honestly, I would avoid LAX for connections if at all possible. If you can, stick to terminals 6/7/8 -- which are all connected internally (behind TSA security.)

There is very little signage (none?) indicating that you should actually take this route. The walk is lit, but I wouldn't call it "well lit" and I wouldn't really call it "safe" either. It's safe by virtue of the fact that the airport is constantly in motion, but it still feels less than optimal. The actual walkways themselves are in fair condition (nothing to really trip over.)

A couple of notes:

1. Exit T1 at the far right end, the crosswalks to T6 are just out the door to the right. Cross the "curbside dropoff" area and stand in the center.

2. ** Wait for the green crossing signal ** at the island thing. The button is on the left side. It will take a while (~2 minutes). Do not try to cross while the hand is red/orange, you'll end up pancaked on the roadway.

3. Walk across the left side by the parking deck, which then forces you to the right side as you get closer to terminals 6/7.

4. Eventually you come to a similar island thing near terminals 6/7. Repeat step 2 (button is on right side this time, and it takes ~2 minutes.) After you cross, there's a small curbside dropoff zone before you reach the actual terminal building. No need for a crossing signal there though.

5. Terminal 7 is to the left a pretty good distance. Terminal 6 is to the right (closer than T7.)

6. There's an outside escalator to take you up to the departure level.

My view on LAX is very skewed because I usually travel through ATL exclusively, which of course doesn't have any outside connections. Having flown through ATL, CLT, DEN, HOU, JFK and now LAX in recent memory -- I have to say that LAX is way at the bottom of the list. Terminal 1 was fair at best, Terminal 6 is in pretty bad shape.

-- Dan
Thanks, this is really helpful!

I don't want to get lost in the garage, so I guess when I exit from T2, I'll just walk to T1 then follow your instructions to get to T6/T7.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Here is the Google Maps walking instruction from T2 to T7 if you need it: http://goo.gl/maps/1zQgT

It gives you a general perspective of which direction you should go - basically you will walk right by the LAX theme building/observation deck. Follow debracey's direction and walk in the lower level.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: MR Plat
Originally Posted by bzcat
Here is the Google Maps walking instruction from T2 to T7 if you need it: http://goo.gl/maps/1zQgT

It gives you a general perspective of which direction you should go - basically you will walk right by the LAX theme building/observation deck. Follow debracey's direction and walk in the lower level.
Thanks! Hopefully, I don't get too lost
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
1 hour in LAX for customs and connection?

Going to OZ/NZ in January, and got a great deal ($1400 RT) on Fiji Airways out of LAX. We're based in CLT, so we need to book a separate itinerary for the CLT-LAX part of the trip. The flight from Fiji arrives at LAX at 12pm, and the last non-redeye flight LAX-CLT is at 1:10pm. Is it cutting it too close to go for that one? The alternative is a 10 hour layover, or, more likely, getting a hotel close to LAX and flying out the next day. I appreciate any advice as I've never pieced together two itineraries before. We will probably be using miles (US, or possibly UA) for the CLT-LAX itinerary, for what it's worth.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: MANY

I would not risk it.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Not a hope. At all.

Hang on: you arrive at 1:10pm? The FJ flights all leave near midnight, like the NZ and QF flights, don't they?

Last edited by SeriouslyLost; Jul 18, 2013 at 11:14 pm
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
can't imagine that would even be legal.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL-PM, HHonors-Silver, Marriott-Gold

3 hours at least to be safe. One hour? No way.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:44 am

Programs: UA Platinum

You are asking about you return flight, correct? Even if you have Global Entry and carry-on only, 1 hour would be cutting it way too close for separate itineraries, especially since you will likely need to change terminals to get to your next flight. Imagine you have to go to baggage claim, immigration, customs, another terminal, through security at other terminal and then make it to your gate in time to board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.