Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel is now open. It is possible now to connect from T4 to T5, T6, T7 and T8 without exiting security.
In T-4, the access to the tunnel is from Gate 44 (the bus transfer gate). Take the escalator down to Gate 44, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

An elevated airside connecter walkway between T4 and TBIT is under construction. This is expected to be completed in 2016. More here: TERMINAL 4 CONNECTOR - LAWA PDF

The prior thread on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, contains relevant information, however, to keep it from getting too long, 2014 and 2015 updates are below.

2015 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, and above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk from distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 29 Aug 2015 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by asherg
Thanks.... and it's probably not worth another 25k miles to ticket F and risk a missed connection, which in the AA system will be a no-show.

You mentioned "typically." Can a sup override it?
No. The only way to avoid it is with 2 different PNRs or go to a station with a lower MCT.

At LAX, it's just too short.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by asherg
You mentioned "typically." Can a sup override it?
Can't be overridden on booking, but some circumstances may introduce shorter.

Last year I had a MEL-xLAX-xDFW-CVG connection with QF, originally booked with 2:25 at LAX, but with AA schedule changes became 1:50.

This stayed as there was no viable later connection to Cincinatti, but the booking was flagged with the now short connection.

I was met on disembarkation at LAX and handed BP's in a flouro yellow expedited immigration folder.

So, such can't be booked, but might in rare cases happen.

Last edited by serfty; May 27, 2013 at 3:45 pm
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:40 pm

T7-T4 connection

I will be arriving on a UA international flight in T7 at 10:20am on Saturday. I have a departing AA flight from T4 at 1:45pm. I feel confident that this connect time should be sufficient but was wondering what the best way was to go about the connection to prevent any delays. So are we better off walking between T7 and T4 rather then the bus- I'm thinking yes? And are we able to check our luggage in at T7 after exiting customs or do we have to do that at T4 with AA?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Walking is generally faster. Must check luggage with AA since you are not continuing on UA.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bus would be up to 20 mintutes as you have to go though ¾ of the loop. Also the Taking about 5-6 minutes, walking is generally quicker for T6/7 to T4 (stay on the upper level if you can) - it really depends upon your luggage.

If on the one ticket then luggage would normally be checked though.

If separate tickets then you'd need to collect it and take it to T4, if too much to carry, the bus would be your better option. (of course you might be able to rent a trolly)
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
T6 and T7 arrivals actually get into the same FIS hall that emerges at the finger of T6. From the finger of T6 to the finger of T4 is only about 400 m or 0.25 mi.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If you have "lots" of luggage, I'd still ask if it's possible to manage it with a Smarte Carte. If so, would still be easier to walk.

Taking the round-about shuttle would also require carrying it all onto the bus once and then off the bus again when arriving at T4.

To get to the bus, you'd have to get it onto your Smarte Carte and then hoof it to the island to wait.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Wait, aren't carts free for international arrivals? If so, pushing one all the way to T4 will be another reason not to take the bus.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: MR Plat
Sigh, should have read this before booking my flights...

Will be arriving from YYZ on AC in T2 around 6:50pm on a Monday and leaving for SFO in T7 on UA around 8:20p. Should be precleared in YYZ so just confirming that out, up and over the parking lot should be the quickest route, right? Should this pose any problems?

On the way back, will be arriving from SFO in T7 on UA around 12:10p and leaving for YYZ on AC in T2 around 1:30p on a Tuesday. Same way? Maybe shuttle?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Globex
Sigh, should have read this before booking my flights...

Will be arriving from YYZ on AC in T2 around 6:50pm on a Monday and leaving for SFO in T7 on UA around 8:20p. Should be precleared in YYZ so just confirming that out, up and over the parking lot should be the quickest route, right? Should this pose any problems?

On the way back, will be arriving from SFO in T7 on UA around 12:10p and leaving for YYZ on AC in T2 around 1:30p on a Tuesday. Same way? Maybe shuttle?

Thanks in advance!
T2 is more closely opposite T6, rather than T7. The T2 parking lot doesn't connect to the T6 lot in the way the T1 lot does with the T7 lot.

I think you'll have to exit on the ground level and then walk across - which can be done, there are walkways.

If do the GoogleMaps satellite view of LAX, you can kind of see the walkways when they aren't blocked by the parking structures.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Yes, YYZ is a preclear station. As long as things are on time you should be able to make it. Here are my notes from doing this walk last year (May, 2012). I went T1 --> T7, but the walkway is really between T1/T2 and dumps you out next to T6.

So I figured I'd update this thread with my findings from my recent T1 --> T7 connection at LAX.

I had a ~1.75 hr connection in LAX between T1 and T7 (international). I walk pretty slowly and was only carrying a large computer bag (~15 lbs) -- the walk took < 10 minutes. Someone in a hurry could easily clock in < 5 minutes if they aren't lugging a heavy bag. It took longer to walk to the gate inside T7 (post security) than the walk between terminals.

In general, the walkway is poor and LAX needs to do a **MUCH** better job to keep up with modern airports. Furthermore, the walkway has a cloud of smoke/exhaust due to the overhead highway part. If you have more time, definitely take the upper route for a more pleasant experience. Honestly, I would avoid LAX for connections if at all possible. If you can, stick to terminals 6/7/8 -- which are all connected internally (behind TSA security.)

There is very little signage (none?) indicating that you should actually take this route. The walk is lit, but I wouldn't call it "well lit" and I wouldn't really call it "safe" either. It's safe by virtue of the fact that the airport is constantly in motion, but it still feels less than optimal. The actual walkways themselves are in fair condition (nothing to really trip over.)

A couple of notes:

1. Exit T1 at the far right end, the crosswalks to T6 are just out the door to the right. Cross the "curbside dropoff" area and stand in the center.

2. ** Wait for the green crossing signal ** at the island thing. The button is on the left side. It will take a while (~2 minutes). Do not try to cross while the hand is red/orange, you'll end up pancaked on the roadway.

3. Walk across the left side by the parking deck, which then forces you to the right side as you get closer to terminals 6/7.

4. Eventually you come to a similar island thing near terminals 6/7. Repeat step 2 (button is on right side this time, and it takes ~2 minutes.) After you cross, there's a small curbside dropoff zone before you reach the actual terminal building. No need for a crossing signal there though.

5. Terminal 7 is to the left a pretty good distance. Terminal 6 is to the right (closer than T7.)

6. There's an outside escalator to take you up to the departure level.

My view on LAX is very skewed because I usually travel through ATL exclusively, which of course doesn't have any outside connections. Having flown through ATL, CLT, DEN, HOU, JFK and now LAX in recent memory -- I have to say that LAX is way at the bottom of the list. Terminal 1 was fair at best, Terminal 6 is in pretty bad shape.

-- Dan
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Landside at the upper level of T2 is there not access to an encosed bridge to the adjacent car park and might this be used to get over towards T5 instead?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: UA & DL Gold
There is - but you actually walk through 2 parking garages in the process, and the access links between them are not at the same level as the link to the terminal. So you end up having to go up and down flights of stairs.

Furthermore, you could get lost in the garage itself.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by debracey
There is - but you actually walk through 2 parking garages in the process, and the access links between them are not at the same level as the link to the terminal. So you end up having to go up and down flights of stairs.

Furthermore, you could get lost in the garage itself.
Correct... T2 to T6 should be approached at the ground level, not through the garage. Your description few posts above is very accurate.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:24 pm

T7 to t4 tight connection

In relation to my previous post thanks for the replies. Our first flight has been delayed and we are now getting to t7 at 12 noon. Our next flight leaves t4 at 1:45pm. Bags have been tagged through. We are arriving on an international flight. So we now have a very tight connection. Any tips on getting though customs quickly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.