Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel is now open. It is possible now to connect from T4 to T5, T6, T7 and T8 without exiting security.
In T-4, the access to the tunnel is from Gate 44 (the bus transfer gate). Take the escalator down to Gate 44, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

An elevated airside connecter walkway between T4 and TBIT is under construction. This is expected to be completed in 2016. More here: TERMINAL 4 CONNECTOR - LAWA PDF

The prior thread on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, contains relevant information, however, to keep it from getting too long, 2014 and 2015 updates are below.

2015 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, and above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk from distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 29 Aug 2015 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
If not checking a bag, then your best choice is generally AS, DL, or UA, as T5-T8 are all behind the same security area, so that you can arrive on any of those three and not have to re-clear security.

If you are checking a bag, I believe DL still allows interlining, but I'm not certain (they were going to take that away, but I believe that was delayed).

Your cleanest option is to fly UA.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:42 pm

what to do with a connection time at LAX?

She was able to book on United so she can check bags through, though she is planning on only carry-on.

SJC - LAX - UA arr 11:51 AM
LAX - LHR - UA dep 5:45 PM
LHR - BER - LH

Now the question is what to do with the connection time at LAX. From the airport map it looks to me like United arrives and departs from the same terminal(s), both domestic and international. Is there anything interesting to do while staying within security - pedicure, chair massage, ... ? If she goes outside security, there's not really anywhere to go that I can remember ... Ideas?

Thanks,

Sylvia
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
From the airport map it looks to me like United arrives and departs from the same terminal(s), both domestic and international. Is there anything interesting to do while staying within security - pedicure, chair massage, ... ? If she goes outside security, there's not really anywhere to go that I can remember ... Ideas?
Take a look at the maps on the LAX Website:
http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=256
for what's available in the terminals, be sure to look at Terminals 5-8, as they are all in the same secure area.

For out of security, there's various threads on it in this forum, including a few indexed here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...rea-forum.html

A couple options off the top of my head including going to In-n-Out for a burger (there's a whole thread on doing that), the Entercounter Restaurant in the Theme Building (on LAX property), or popping a bit further away to Marina Del Rey, Venice, Santa Monica or a beach city in the South Bay (although she wouldn't want to go too far, as that's not that long of a connection).
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
There are also several different lounges she can purchase a day pass to (if she doesn't otherwise have access). My vote would be the Alaska Board Room in T6--although I personally wouldn't pay $50 for a lounge visit, if she has to pay $50 for a lounge, the Board Room is the least bad of the options.

I'd personally do an In-N-Out run, but that's because I don't live near an In-N-Out.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
She was able to book on United so she can check bags through, though she is planning on only carry-on.

SJC - LAX - UA arr 11:51 AM
LAX - LHR - UA dep 5:45 PM
LHR - BER - LH

Now the question is what to do with the connection time at LAX. From the airport map it looks to me like United arrives and departs from the same terminal(s), both domestic and international. Is there anything interesting to do while staying within security - pedicure, chair massage, ... ? If she goes outside security, there's not really anywhere to go that I can remember ... Ideas?

Thanks,

Sylvia
Looks like she has about 3.5 hours to burn. It enough time to visit In-N-Out or Starbucks outside the airport (pay normal prices!) but not enough to really do anything away from the airport. If the weather is good (what am I saying... it's going to be good ) I suggest she take the red Sepulveda Parking Spot shuttle to In-N-Out burgers and enjoy the sun for a couple of hours.

Note: She doesn't need to eat at In-N-Out... the Parking Spot garage is 1 block south of 2 big shopping centers. There are a number of decent eating options within easy walking distance: Ayara Thai, Pacos Tacos, Trader Joe's, Panera Bread etc. And 2 Starbucks, plus a Coffee Bean located inside Ralph's supermarket.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 3:06 am

Hi all,

I've read through the topic (great info) and it seems that my planned international-domestic transfer time is sufficient, but being a little OCD was hoping for some specific advice in light of the new budget cuts and reported delays I've been reading about.

Flying SIN - LAX via SQ38 with scheduled arrival at 17:50pm (on a Saturday)

We need to be in MCO the next day, preferably in the morning. The 2 options I'm considering are:

1) AA/Alaska depart LAX 21:45 and arrive MCO 05:20 (+1)

2) Delta depart LAX 23:20 and arrive MCO 07:19 (+1)

Option 1 is preferred as it means less hanging around LAX after a long flight from SIN, but just wanted to be 100% sure that the 3hrs55mins will be sufficient to allow for clearing customs/collecting baggage and then checking in for the AA/Delta flight and clearing customs/security once again?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 7:35 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I'd feel pretty comfortable with the earlier AA flight. Even if it takes you two hours to exit the Bradley terminal, you are going to have adequate time for the AA check-in. The terminal for AA is a two minute walk.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:26 pm

The AA flight option is fine. T4 is closer to TBIT as well so you can just walk.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Arrow29
Option 1 is preferred as it means less hanging around LAX after a long flight from SIN, but just wanted to be 100% sure that the 3hrs55mins will be sufficient to allow for clearing customs/collecting baggage and then checking in for the AA/Delta flight and clearing customs/security once again?

Thanks for any advice!
I have been informed that, even if your bags have not been through tagged, that, rather than lug them to T4/T5, it may it now be possible to actually recheck and deposit them (getting BP's as well) prior to exiting TBIT:
Originally Posted by SYD
Yes, the TBIT transfer desks had a make-over about 2 yrs ago with a number of counters for the various airlines. Very friendly and helpful staff who can issue BPs and re-tag luggage.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:01 pm

Thanks for the advice, everyone Going to go with the AA flight and secure row 17 with the blocked middle seat.
Old May 11, 2013, 7:19 pm

Accessing Terminal 5 with Terminal 3 Boarding Pass

I will be arriving from New Zealand via Australia on Virgin Australia. VA arrivals are into terminal 5. I am a gold member on VA and therefor have access to the Delta Skyclub lounge. My domestic ticket is on Allegaint at terminal 3, but I have a 5 hour layover. Will TSA allow me access to terminal 5 where the sky club is located with a termainal 3 boarding pass?

Many thanks for your help.
Old May 11, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I would ask Delta for a pass to get through security to access the club. This varies by airport how this is done. I heard some TSA people let you through security to access a club with no pass required. The emergency option is buy a refundable ticket on a airline that uses terminal 5 and cancel it after you get pass TSA.
Old May 12, 2013, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Virgin America has a lounge in T-3 at LAX.

According to the Virgin Australia website:
International Lounge Access

Through our airline partners, Virgin Australia is pleased to offer pre-departure lounge access in conjunction with international services to our Business Class and Premium Economy guests, Velocity Platinum and Gold members, and Virgin Australia lounge members.
Virgin America is listed as a VA partner.
Old May 13, 2013, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I would ask Delta for a pass to get through security to access the club. This varies by airport how this is done.
Are you answering this based on your specific knowledge of LAX, or general knowledge of how some airports work?

]I heard some TSA people let you through security to access a club with no pass required.
Wrong. Not at LAX. Just... wrong.

]The emergency option is buy a refundable ticket on a airline that uses terminal 5 and cancel it after you get pass [sic] TSA.
Inconvenient, but this works.
Old May 15, 2013, 8:45 am

T3 boarding pass will not get you in at T5 at LAX. The VA lounge maybe in T3 maybe your best bet but I don't know if they require you to have a VA boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.